This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#16611 by Irminsul
Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Know what? "online management" doesn't amount to squat unless you already have a great rep and a large album buying audience. The only real management that helps these days is the face to face kind - the boots on the street. The agent to actually go around and find new venues for you, and press your case. That is a reality that won't be out-maneuvered by the internet anytime soon.

#17645 by Shima
Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:30 am
thanks muzimages for all these advise really...but I have a 2 lil questions...all about copyrigth for sure;)

first. if you are a band can you just pay a copyrigth with the name of the band? I mean by exemple we recorded ourself our own song and it,s only been done by the JuuSan Tsuki members... So if you are in JuuSan you can use it but if you leave the band you cant touch it anymore?

second. if you do your own website...those your demo song are protected? I learned it not long time ago like Photobucket and facebook are taking you the rigth to share it everywhere if you upload it on them site and the only way to be protected is to have your own site for show your stock...it,s the samething for the music??

by the way really sorry for the bad english... and thanks for the answer:)

#17668 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:52 pm
Shima,
Many of your answers might be found on the internet site "Taxie.Com."
and . . .
Is that 'JuuSan Tsuki,' as in '13 strikes?'

#17692 by Shima
Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:57 am
nope it's 13 moons thanks a lot rhythman for the site I will go check it rigth away! :)

#17709 by Irminsul
Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:45 am
Ahhh..tsuki wa desu ne. Arigato gozaimasu.

#17726 by Shima
Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:17 pm
dou itashimashite irminsul-sama :wink:

thanks for all your help guysXD

#30876 by Wee-Lamm Tunes
Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 am
uhmmm...
I'd have to take issue to some of your opinions of what copyright is.

First, copyright does not imply that only you can record or perform the material, but rather that you are entitled to be paid for the use of your work. For that matter, as long as I can validate it sufficiently as my work (and afford a legal team larger than any violators) then the more people who record or perform it...the better. As long as I am paid appropriately, I would rather have several people record my songs, and many others perform it, than to have to try and market it all independantly.

Second, who owns the copyright relates more to who paid for it than to who performed or created it. Examples follow.

If an ad agency hires you to write a jingle for a commercial, they own it.
On the chance that you offer up a song that you had previously written, I would suspect you would offer it during the initial interview for the gig and before the contract is signed. Once you are on retainer...they own everything you write while on thier time, as well as any future derivatives you create from your work on thier product.

You can extend this analogy to being a Staff Writer for any production company, such as Disney, or even anything you contribute as a Studio Musician working directly for a Studio. You are an employee of that company which means they are already paying you to create that work, and in exchange you forfeit any rights of ownership for that work.

Same thing essentially applies to a band recording songs or even complete albums. If the band is jointly owned by all members (which is rarely the case) then they would share in the copyright (or as much of it as the label allows them to retain) according to their own formula for balancing contribution and ownership.

Most bands have 1, or at the most 2, members who represent the band and the remaining members are essentially "Hired Hands" and thus are treated as employees with respect to the copyright. Even in bands where the majority of the songs are written by the 1 or 2, the random offerings of a "Hired Hand" will typically be subject to sharing the copyright with the "1 or 2" in exchange for allowing it to be included in the final product.

At the risk of offending the original poster, I think you were very misleading in suggesting that a musician performing on a recording actually has ownership rights to thier contribution to the particular song, in most cases they don't.

When you add in the boiler plate in "all" recording contracts with any of the majors, typically you retain very little of the publishing and performance rights of all your offerings, at least until you have become proven enough to renegotiate your contract.

I guess this amounts to more than 2 cents worth...
Wee-Lamm

#30893 by gbheil
Wed May 07, 2008 1:15 pm
My two cents. If the band treated me like an employee they would be looking for another guitar player.

#30948 by papo pepin
Thu May 08, 2008 5:15 am
I totally argee with this, except for the part of my space. If you show case your cd there giving just a little of what you got then perhaps people may want to hear more and they will pay for what they like and want. Only the cheapo's will settle for less. 57 yrs of innovative Mambo music- Papo Pepin :wink:

#49754 by RiverCityJunction
Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:13 am
Hey muzickmage, we're looking for management/booking etc. If you have time, perhaps you could check out our site & let us know if you or anyone you know might be interested in helping us out?
Thanks! - J.