This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#28911 by AndyR
Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:04 pm
Hey all !

Just wondered if any of you had tips on writting lyrics?

I have no issue with the music side, guitar, bass drums etc, however when I come to start to put lyrics down......nothing...mind goes blank!!!

Help, any tips would be appreciated.

Rock Hard !!!
#28939 by karen michelle
Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:18 pm
what best thing to do get some words and put down onto paper or qoutes and just say take power like mine just all qoutes and then put them into song,

here is one for you
love you my baby feel me baby
need your loving oh yeh oh yeh
take me take me take me
let me be let me be

oh oh oh yeh ah ah ah

feel my heart feel my heart
love you my baby love you
be mine my baby feel me
right by my side love you

oh oh oh yeh ah ah ah

just to help you get long,

done over 72 lyrics and vocals in 3months ,

doing projects for dj at mo,
been busy have songs all over the wrold ,and uk ,

:D

#28940 by philbymon
Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 pm
I start by goofing around with it until I get a short phrase that fits in the meter somewhere, & then I build the entire song around that phrase...sometimes it ends up in a whole new direction than I originally intended, but that's how it works for me.

Good luck!
#28941 by karen michelle
Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:22 pm
if anyone is starting out as singer just let me know would lie to help you get started ,
love write my own songs and sing ,
only been doing it for year and getting good feedback ,
love too meet others and hope to make new friends in music,
so first just write from heart and follow your dream and you make it,
do not need to be perfect singer ,
just be yourself and feel you have goal in life ,
music is answar,
northernsongbird xx

#28963 by gbheil
Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 pm
I seem to just have these psychotic episodes that result in lyrics.
Seems best to start with lyric, then add music to fit or build the tone / feel of the lyrical content. But thats just me.

#29041 by neanderpaul
Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:00 pm
Pick a topic you care about, rather that you are passionate about. A car you loved, a camping trip, a wreck where a friend died, the security guard who was a wanker, political issues, and yes love - love lost, unrequited love, new love. Don't be cliched, blatant, or expected. Never, I repeat, NEVER rhyme the words "together and forever" or "feel and real". Yet shoot from the hip, don't be afraid to wear your heart on your sleeve in your lyrics. From Rage against the Machine to Jim Croce these people wrote with passion. Good luck!

#29051 by Starfish Scott
Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:06 pm
Ooh Paul, you're going to hate my next set of uploads. That's ok, I ain't changing anything. lol If you don't like it, bash away..we'll make more..

#29063 by musiclab
Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:05 am
Like anything in life if you want to do it good you have to study and research. In most things in life those two tasks can be boring and mundane but in music its cool because it just means you have to listen to your favourite songs focusing obviously on the lyrics.

Example

What the song is about
How have they have conveyed that meaning (Which words)

Tools you'll require

Pen and paper

Write down your own ideas based around what your hearing

Example

She's left me I'm all alone...

Steve Tyler use of this " I'm alo-ne yeah I don't know if I can face the night.

The main difference is the Tyler lyric leaves more to the imagination.

Dave lee roth expands this simple premise even further in I'm Just a gigolo.

"I aint got nobody, nobody cares for me."

There are a million and one ways of saying the same thing.

Anyway hope this helps :oops:

#29068 by johnnya
Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:57 am
write what you feel, weather its in a sentence to start off, do that, you will eventually put it all together, write what your music feels like to you. :D

#29093 by AndyR
Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:34 am
Thank you all for your tips. I actually did put pen to paper last night,it was ok.....needs work.

Thanks to you all.

Rock hard. !!!

#30108 by DarenA
Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:48 am
Like playing an instrument, it's all down to practice:
You wouldn't expect to be a virtuoso musician on first picking up an instrument, so don't expect genius poetry to flow from your pen/keyboard on the first try.

Some suggestions:

Pick a subject that's dear to you, and write, write, write. Get down as much as you can on that topic, without filtering out the rubbish. Think about the subject from as many different angles as you can. The lyricist Stephen Sondheim used to fill a whole notebook with ideas for each song. Then go back and filter and order it.

Look at the lyrics of songwriters that you admire or, if you don't know where to start, ask people you trust for their recommendations. For what it's worth, I'd suggest Elvis Costello, Andy Partridge (XTC), Edwyn Collins, Morrissey, Rufus Wainwright, Shirley Lee (Spearmint), Radiohead or even Abba. Figure out how they structure their lyrics: the overall shape of the song, what they reveal at the start and what they save for later, the imagery used, the rhyme structures, the pace/metre, how the lyric mood fits (or contrasts with) the music.

Don't expect a lyric to be finished at the first attempt. Put it aside for a week, then go back to it and look at it afresh. Refine it where you think it needs it. Just like you might with the music as you record/program it, or rehearse it with your band - the first time you play it is just the starting point...

Get some friends you trust to review your lyrics for you.

Have fun!

[/list]

#30122 by neanderpaul
Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:11 pm
DarenA, after reading your list of suggested guides for lyrics (Elvis Costello, Andy Partridge (XTC), Edwyn Collins, Morrissey, Rufus Wainwright, Shirley Lee (Spearmint), Radiohead or even Abba. ) I was quite excited to hear your music!! :D Then there wasn't any. :( Got any links with music?

#30192 by Williamsboy
Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:08 pm
I would just write what you feel.
play the song you've arranged, and listen to it.
the song will take you in the direction you need to go.
The song will create the mood. The mood will allow you
to feel. When that all clicks have that pen and paper handy
and let the flood gates open. The minute you try and
write something, you force something that isn't there.
it will end up sounding lame, just like a pop song on
the radio, that has no substance to it. Yea it might be
catchy, and if that's what you're trying to do then
just do an A-B-A rhyme scheme and call it a day.
If you want something with Depth, and Meaning, something that
you love, then nothing else matters and it will happen.
Hope this helps, if it doesn't sorry for wasting your time.

sin,
Mathew/aka-billy
williamsboy

#30303 by Andragon
Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:42 pm
Don't write if you don't feel it. No, really.. DON'T.

#31827 by The After Shocks
Sun May 18, 2008 9:57 am
To be honest when u write my own material you have to be in the mood to do it. Ive worte many songs and when i do write them i put me feelings down on paper dats how you reallly write ya own music. when you come up with other little peices of lyrics justa few words jot them down...once you have enough you can easily write a song...
SO GO FOR IT!!!!!