This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#25388 by philbymon
Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:39 pm
Hi all...kinda new here.

I started out as a solo acoustic guy who eventually found a small following, but no one would play with me, I guess cuz there's so many of us around & not much call for acoustic players...

I picked up the bass about 10 yrs ago, & joined a few bands...I have a different style than most, but I like to think it fits more often than not.

I've played bass, acoustic, electric, & even a touch of mandolin in bands since then, sang leads & backing vox, & had some of my own songs done in bands...DAMN I love that!!

The one song I wrote, "Justin Alien," had a guy show up at a gig with an inflatable purple alien that had "Justin" written on the front, that he danced around with...that was so rich!

Now that that band is defunct, I'm looking to join or start another band to do more originals, learn a bunch more stuff, & apply it to my own writing, which I haven't been doing much of lately...

I've joined a few of these type sites, & I must say that this is the only one where I've gotten any feedback. I've actually talked to a cpl ppl here, too.

Hoping I can get something going.

Tnx for being here.

May your skies be blue unless you need the rain...

#25393 by RhythmMan
Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:51 pm
Welcome.
Just keep practicing. Write down some specific goals.
. . . and keep trying stuff that you can't play . . .
. . . yet . . .

#25394 by JBarracudaL
Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:54 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Welcome to the Bandmix it up forum. Thanks for having music for me to listen to as well. Very interesting mix of blue and ragtime I'd say.
Utilize the search function ad nusium. And dont let the low volume of responses deter your search.

Yeah, that track is pretty rough unfortunately, it's actually all just Jim.
Recorded way before we started playing together.
Hopefully pretty soon we'll record a few songs together, and I'll try to get some better quality if possible.

I'll definitely take your advice and try searching around a lot. Mr Casio can't be our drummer forever. :lol:

RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:Welcome.
Just keep practicing. Write down some specific goals.
. . . and keep trying stuff that you can't play . . .
. . . yet . . .

Pretty much what I'm doing, I started off playing primarily classic rock tunes and a bit of funk.
Jim's style really caused me to try a lot of new things, he's got this incredible retro sensibility. We would like to play quite a few different styles, something Rock here, something Jazz there, Pop, Blues, whatever. Rock song with a ragtime piano solo. Also, my cousin/Jim's ex-wife is an incredible vocalist who has an unbelievable operatic range. So, who knows what franken-genre we might end up playing eventually.

#25947 by Lony
Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:46 am
Hi, I am new here. I was looking for the introduction thread and it should be here I guess. Wow there is a real big community of real talented, experienced and interesting people here.
I am new in music land. Even thoughI have always enjoyed singing ( My mother is a singer and I always really wanted it) and have been in schoolbands and coverbands (I wrote my first popsong when I was 16- earlier, when 9 yrs old, I used to write silly funny bad-wordy songs with my sister, but that doesn't count, haha).
But after a few years of not actively doing music, I picked it back up, learned how to play the guitar, quit smoking and started vocalising, because I really deep down inside always wanted to make music, and write my own songs, so I could sing ' em my own way.
And I did. I have been looking for a band, but not yet succeeded (most of the time I do get invited and accepted, because I do have a nice, flexible, pretty, yet powerful enough, voice with an ok range) but not yet to play my music, and I really want to. I believe my songs are meant to be (like any songwriter of course, creativity is a souldeep thing), but i also believe they are catchy and cool and worth to be explored and exposed. I have yet to learn a lot and grow, but nobody ever really does stop growing. I have a lot of cool, catchy material. I would play and sing any of the bandmember's songs and ideas, too, of course!! It is meant to be a collaboration.
Please come and see/hear me! I would love to hear any feedback and comments (videos that I perform live before my webcam with acoustic guitar on my bandmix page). I really hope you would share your opinions with me.
I am looking forward to my time being a member here and hopefully will learn and find my soulbrothers or sisters to really get that cool band and go out and play an sing as much as we can!! ,

#26378 by The KIDD
Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 pm
Hey Girl ,

Welcome to the board!...I like your material...There are several members colaborating and file swapping on here as I speak...We have a pretty wide genre base so Im sure you'll fit right in...

John

#26394 by Lony
Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:43 am
Hey thank you so much. I am right now working on an acoustic demo and still looking for that band. But I am still writing and playing. even though my computer crashed last friday sucks big ol time because i had some new ideas and not yet backupped. I had got a virus..but don;t worry I sent this post form different computer (in school)

I hope poeple will come and check out my live acoustic performances on video and give me some feedback. I am a real greenie, but with a passion for this crazy thing called music and all comments are welcome. I live in Los Angeles XOXO
#26523 by nexstep
Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:00 pm
My name is Darrell Braden. I play bass for an original soul and funk group my cousin and I founded 7 years ago called NEXSTEP. I also play bass behind a classic soul vocal quartet called DOUBLE EXPOSURE. We are based in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A. I am currently in the studio recording a CD for NEXSTEP and bide my time playing gigs between these two bands. We have a new entertainment zone recently opened here and it is hoped that it will lead to a resurging music scene. Let us hope. Would love to correspond with any and all . Also currently seeking a new female lead vocal for NEXSTEP so, If you are in the Kansas City area and interested drop us a line.

email : [email protected]

websites : www.myspace.com/thenexstepband and www.myspace.com/kcsoulgroupdoubleexposure

#26576 by Lony
Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:50 pm
Welcome Darell!

#26969 by TTBOY
Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:45 am
WHAT UP
:evil:

#26970 by TTBOY
Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:48 am
I NEED A f**k BASS PLAYER BAD. PLEASE REPLY.IN THE SEACOAST NH AREA. ROCK [email protected]
GO PAYING GIGS :!: :!: :D

#27119 by The_Copasetics
Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:43 pm
hey guys. I signed up here looking for a drummer. saw it had a forum, decided to take a look. that was about 2 hours ago.

anyways, my name is Joe and I'm from Cleveland. I primarily play bass but play a little keyboard and guitar as well. I've played some gigs and project before, but looking to start my own band playing alternative/reggae tunes. sort of up the alley of Sublime. Right now we're looking for a drummer as I've mentioned in my other posts.

Not much to me. work, play music, drink. Fav artist of all time is Bob Marley. Also love the Dead, Pink Floyd, The Band, Bob Dylan, Toots and the Maytals, Van Morrison, Sublime, Rancid and Flogging Molly to name a few. Was pretty much raised on blued and classic rock. Consider myself lucky in that fact.

huge football (american) fan as well so if you want to talk about that...go Browns!

that's all I got. oh yeah, I play Fender Jazz and have a GK 4X10 combo with a 300W head. Just got it.

#27195 by Lony
Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:55 am
welcome The_Copasetics.
Hope you will find what you're looking for.
greetz from L.A.
#27367 by JONLYKINS
Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:12 am
hey, Name is Jon. Seasoned drummer that put the sticks down a few years ago to be a jack of all trades. i now pick a little guitar(tacoma chief)play some piano( korg n264) and sing. The reason for change is because i wanted to put the music i hear to the songs i write instead of trying to explain this to other musicians.Right now i only have some covers on my page. Ive been Working on originals most everyday. have written about 100 songs about 15 of which are somewhat acceptable.pLayed drums for 25+ years, guitar 8, and piano about 5. I love to write. my dream would be to wake up.............write .............survive off the results ................enjoy family. like to listen to: James Taylor, Jim Croce, Rush, Edwin Mccain( hes really got some cool syuff besides ("ill be"), John Lennon, Anything Diane Warren has written, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Stephen Curtis Chapman , Third Day, Chris Rice, Skynard, Floyd, Billy Joel, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Elvis to name a few. I also like to listen to some country for writting purposes only. Love the hooks........ Damn ......i feel naked now!

#27393 by Lony
Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:45 am
Welcome Jonlykins. I have heard of many a search for drummers. Too sad I am in Los Angeles, good luck and have fun at bandmix
take care, Lony

#27406 by Paul Dezelski
Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:28 am
This is not a chat, nor a forum. It's a rip-off post/blog...