This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#26564 by gbheil
Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 pm
Let me hear from some of you guitar players, The only guitars I have are two Strats. Band is looking at doing a side band utilizing acoustic guitars.
What in your opinion would be a good entry level guitar for me to consider utilizing for this project? Who makes good acoustic guitars that I wont have to mortgage the house to own?
Probably going to be doing some gospel blues and folksy kinda stuff.

#26572 by RhythmMan
Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:39 pm
Just go to the music store and try 6 - 7 guitars.
Don't make any promises to the guy who runs the store.
Tell him you just want to try out some guitars; that you were thinking of getting a new one, and mention that price is an issue.
Don't look for a certain appearance or a certain name brand. Sure, try the name brands, and other people's suggestions . . .
But forget everyone's suggestions, man . . . everyone likes different stuff.
Just try them all. Go by the feel of the guitar . . .
Find the ones with the sound you like.
Find the ones with the action you like. Keep swapping back & forth . . .
Then go to the next store, and do the same thing with another 5-6 guitars . . .
But forget everyone's suggestions, man . . . that's like asking someone what flavor of ice cream you should like . . . .
Try them all . . . and decide for yourself.
Then you can tell them what the best guitar is . . . for you.
When you find the right guitar, you'll know . . .

#26573 by mistermikev
Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:46 pm
money is no object choice = gibson songbird or jumbo

good cheap gtrs...
seagull... for approx $300 you can get a solid top that will play good.
cort... yes that's right cort... they make several models for fender... and one in particular was approx $1500! same solid cedar top... same grover tuning machines... same fishman piezo... same dot inlay... same body shape... same bookmatched mahogany back...
made in korea at the cort factory. (dealer cost at the time was approx $600)
After a slight bridge/nut file job... this thing played like an electric.
not a fan of alvarez, ibanez, or ovation in terms of cheap acoustics, but they make some acceptable products too.
cheers
mv

#26580 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:44 am
Hmm... Well, I really love the sound Ovation's get. I have yet to try one personally though, I have heard others use them though.

I would recommend the Ovation Celebrity Acoustic, it is around $300. However, do what RhythmMan said, try out a bunch, let the guy know you have a price limit.

RhythmMan knows better than anyone, since that is what he plays. ;)

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#26594 by gbheil
Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:15 am
Thanks for the input fellas.
Nice to hear from you Alan, That is just what I'm going to do.
Did not even think of it in those terms, but if she feels good in my hands like a good ol Smith & Wesson, I ought to be able to make her walk and talk my way, Yes.
I got plenty time . When my wife finds out I bought another amp there wont be room for an acoustic in the doghouse for a while :D

#26659 by jw123
Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:58 pm
Ive got a Washburn acoustic electric. Its been a good one, I bought it real cheap second hand. I prefer electric.

#26738 by badnomad
Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:29 am
I'm partial to the Ovation's sound. I waited 30 years to be able to afford one, and when my $25 (Bought used at an auction around 1970) dreadnought 12-string finally died, I went out and bought a Celebrity Deluxe 12-string......It is probably the only guitar that I have never had any reason to regret buying. Beutiful sound and smooth, easy action.

#26740 by HowlinJ
Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:13 am
My grandson has a tiny first act acoustic laying around here that I like to play. Of course I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me to play it!

#26741 by Shredd6
Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:25 am
I agree with Rhythm man..

The acoustic guitar world is a different ball game.

I have 3 of them.

A Wasburn 12-string Dreadnought, a Yamaha 12-string (thin-line), and an Ovation.

One thing to consider. I bought my Yamaha as a 12-string, but I use it as a 10-string. You can have your cake and eat another one later. If you like a 12-string, cool, if you decide it's not needed, take 6-strings off and you have a 6-string. ( I know the math doesn't add up, but I used to take the high D and G string off, they just bugged me)

For about 6 years I played nothing but acoustic music. I'd given up on bands and did solo acoustic gigs. And I can tell you Sans, that Rhythm man is right. Just get what feels good to you.

If it says Hello Kitty on it, but it feels good to you, put a piece of tape over the name and have at it. I've seen KILLER acoustic players playing what looked like the worst beat-up acoustic guitars you can imagine. But they were good musicians, and they just loved the way their guitars felt to them. And they sounded great.

Keep in mind also, that you can buy a guitar without the built in preamp. There are sound-hole pickups that you can buy, and in my opinion have a very rich tone. But you might wanna watch out for too much Bass in whatever you run it through, 'cause it'll hum like crazy if you don't turn the Bass down.

The plus side of an acoustic/electric is that you can minimize the hum by using the on-board preamp. You can equalize it, mid scoop it, manipulate the Bass, Mid, and Highs all on the guitar.

Getting an acoustic guitar is really a good idea anyway Sans.. The strings are heavier gage than an electric. And because of that, it gives your hand and finger muscles a harder workout. If you play an acoustic for a week, then jump on your electric, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to play the electric.

Anyway.. Just keep an open mind when you try out different brand name acoustics. The Fender (ultra thin models) telecoustics, and stratacoustics, really are POS acoustics. Don't let the brand name fool you.

Also.. I found that playing my acoustics straight through the P.A. was my favorite sound. I used powered P.A. speakers when I did my stuff.

Here's a pic of me and a friend of mine playing a KORN acoustic song in my backyard.. Keg parties rule!!

That's my Yamaha That he's playing, and I'm sportin the Ovation. Although the Ovation may look cooler, the Yamaha was always my main choice. It didn't hum as much, and I did all of my songwriting on it.. I actually wrote BURN on the Yamaha.

#26763 by philbymon
Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:17 pm
I've played all sorts of acoustics.

For the cheaper ones, I've been surprized at Martin's low end models. They go for around $300. Taylor makes the necks on them, & they feel very good & have an acceptable sound in most cases.

Washburns are ok, can be a challenge after awhile, but I like an axe that makes me work a bit.

I went to about 50 different stores until I finally got my Dean Artists Model, trying everything from Taylors to Rain Songs, Takamines to Alvarez, & I must concur with the above statements - it's a very personal thing. Buy what feels right in your hand & sounds good to your ear. Every guitar has it's own unique sound, when you're dealing with acoustics. Slight little wood grain variations make or break the sound. Heck, I've played some $100 Johnsons that sounded great, but I didn't like the neck.

My guitar isn't all that expensive, but for me it was better than most of the others, even the higher end Taylors (which I think are quite overpriced for what they really are). One thing I did was to not only play it sans amp, but then I tried it with a good acoustic amp, & then I had someone else play it while I stood back a bit to hear it. You'd be surprized at the difference once you step back from it, too.

The Rain Song was the most unique guitar I ever played. It's got no wood, being made of carbon fibers. It looks pretty cool, like a gray/black tweed or woven thing, solid black neck. I picked it up, sat down & strummed a G & almost dropped it in shock. My GAWD it was LOUD!!!!! I swear I think you could play one in a bluegrass band & drown out the banjo & mandolin &, well, EVERYTHING. Horrible tone quality, but I've heard that the pickups fix that in the mix. Dunno about that. I couldn't stand the stage sound of the thing, myself.

Anyway, shop around. The most expensive isn't necessarilly the bestest.

I know far too many "musicians" who are way too proud of what they SPEND on a guitar to bother to actually LISTEN to the thing before they buy it.

I don't like Ovations. The round back against my roundish belly makes it roll around too much, much to my chagrin. Plus I think they're kinda icky in the acoustic dept. But if you're only using them onstage & never around the camp fire, I guess they're ok.

#26775 by Starfish Scott
Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:52 pm
Only ever enjoyed playing 1 acoustic in my lifetime so far.

MARTIN.

#27001 by philbymon
Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:44 pm
Having gone the bluegrass route for a couple years I've met a lot of diehard Martin fans.

I'll admit that they sound good, after they get 12+ years old. The older ones were all hand-made, & my biggest complaint with them was how much the neck quality/style varied from axe to axe. In many many cases I found they had a neck like a brick. Talk about a guitar that'll make you work!

Most of the musicians I know would like a guitar that sounds really good right now! They don't wanna wait around for 12 years to get great sound after the glue sets. Buy an older one, imo, if you want a Martin. But expect to pay a bunch...ppl are always looking for those.

Even die-hard bluegrassians are switching to Taylors and other brands these days, from what I've seen, although most of them still go w/American-made axes. (I think it's more granfalloonery there.)

Just my lil bit of experience with Martins.

#27006 by scarletrust
Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:14 pm
OK guys, he asked about an entry level acoustic. I don't think Martin fits that description. I like Taylors, but I'm not gonna suggest a $1,000 guitar as entry level.

I'll say Takamine, Alvarez, or Epiphone Masterbilt.

#27009 by gbheil
Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:39 pm
Back off my long weekend at work, boy mineassisdragin!
I really appreciate everyone's input. Got to go into town latter this week to pick up some new scrubs so I'll make some of the shops and see what I can hear and feel. Cut my little finger on the ol left hand and all the moisture from working and wearing those damned rubber gloves has got it all F/U so it'll be a lots o' fun playing this week.
Thanks again all.

#27060 by Starfish Scott
Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:50 pm
An entry level acoustic? Take a tin can and string it with 9's.. There ya go!

It'll sound better too.