This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#234948 by ValentinBk
Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 am
Hey guys, Im back with more new music from my solo project. This one is called Devil`s Courtyard, its a heavy-thrash metal instrumental track.
Was actually inspired to write this one by video games, basically wanted to make music that would be a good background to smashing some zombie skulls or just shooting pixelated enemies.

Have a listen and let me know what you think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9LxTLA2aU0

You can listen (or re-listen) to all of the tracks from my solo project here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... EZHKKduOZ&

#234990 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:26 am
Val

Awesome guitar work. The mix however, didn't work for me too well - maybe too much drum over-riding the guitars?

Pretty frantic stuff.

cheers

Talbot

Re:

#235176 by ValentinBk
Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:40 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Val

Awesome guitar work. The mix however, didn't work for me too well - maybe too much drum over-riding the guitars?

Pretty frantic stuff.

cheers

Talbot

Thanks Talbot, when the drums were lower in the mix you just hardly felt them. I think it ended up being pretty much OK but they do override the first riff before the bass and the second guitar join the party.
#235421 by schmedidiah
Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:55 am
Great job! I thought the drums were pretty thrash-tastic. They sounded pretty convincing, for programmed drum tracks. My main critique would be that you don't need two rhythm guitars, if they are playing the exact same part. If you're doing it for a visual aspect of your videos, then that's up to you. It would be more interesting for me to see and hear the contrast of the Dime edition Dean and the flying V. What I'm yammering about here is that on one of these rhythm tracks, you should be playing the part an octave higher. Then maybe drop the high rhythm part for the lead parts. That way, you wouldn't have too much going on, soundwise. I'm going to listen to it again on headphones and get back to you on the mixing aspect. I'm very impressed by your work ethic. Your songs, videos, and social media presence show a level of professionalism that I don't posess.

Edit: ok. I listened to it on headphones and my better computer monitors. I can't really pick out the bass guitar. It's blurring with the low end of one or both of your rhythm guitars. It might also help to play the lowest notes possible on your bass, or look into "stereo image". It's a concept that helps you pan all of your tracks to get the most clarity in your finished product. Just some suggestions. Good luck!
#235427 by ValentinBk
Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:41 am
schmedidiah wrote:Great job! I thought the drums were pretty thrash-tastic. They sounded pretty convincing, for programmed drum tracks. My main critique would be that you don't need two rhythm guitars, if they are playing the exact same part. If you're doing it for a visual aspect of your videos, then that's up to you. It would be more interesting for me to see and hear the contrast of the Dime edition Dean and the flying V. What I'm yammering about here is that on one of these rhythm tracks, you should be playing the part an octave higher. Then maybe drop the high rhythm part for the lead parts. That way, you wouldn't have too much going on, soundwise. I'm going to listen to it again on headphones and get back to you on the mixing aspect. I'm very impressed by your work ethic. Your songs, videos, and social media presence show a level of professionalism that I don't posess.

Edit: ok. I listened to it on headphones and my better computer monitors. I can't really pick out the bass guitar. It's blurring with the low end of one or both of your rhythm guitars. It might also help to play the lowest notes possible on your bass, or look into "stereo image". It's a concept that helps you pan all of your tracks to get the most clarity in your finished product. Just some suggestions. Good luck!

Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed the music.
The reason I have 2 guitars playing (mostly) the same part is to give more depth to the rhythm. I definitely prefer to play different parts on the rhythm guitars (and I have that going on in some of my earlier works), but if I dont have a really cool idea I just wont force it, and will record the same part twice on different guitars..
Ill look into what you said about stereo image.
#235433 by schmedidiah
Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:18 pm
I picked that up from a great book called "Guerrilla Home Recording: How To Get Great Sound From Any Studio (No Matter How Weird Or Cheap Your Gear Is)", by Karl Coryat. I've read it 3 times. I learned (and relearned) everything I know from that book. I just haven't had much time to actually use that knowledge, since I became a dad. I can email you some more info on it, if you're too financially strapped to be buying a book.