This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#234588 by gtZip
Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:35 pm
Put it out of my mind until about 4 hours prior to playing, if I can.
If I start to focus in, then I can't be bothered with normal, mundane life stuff.

#234592 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:37 pm
I Avoid dairy products, phlegms up the throat. Eat regularly, but not much too close to the show.
Just go about the day as always, once things like packing up gear, etc, are done.

#234601 by gbheil
Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:04 am
I spend the day going over logistics . . . over and over and over . . . I pace like a caged tiger, adopt my war face and go on stage ready to kill or be killed.
Generally half way through the first song I'm loose and having so much fun nothing matters other than being in the moment.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

This applies to every aspect, not just learning and playing the music.

Everything from having a spare tire for the trailer to new strings on the axe.

Does this include being properly rested as able, and appropriate balance of carbohydrates & proteins, being well hydrated for the weather conditions.

Well of course it does . . .

8) 8)

#234629 by gbheil
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:27 pm
A familiar sense of humor . . . :D

#234644 by Cajundaddy
Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:46 am
Morning- Walk the dog, eat normally, maybe run through a few tunes especially new ones with very specific intros or songs with quick transitions. Putter around the house.

Afternoon- gather my gear for the night, everything in gigbags, load the truck, nap, shower, head out.

Evening- Eat light, relax and BS with the boys during load-in and set-up. Blow the doors off the place, load out, head home.

#234656 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:21 pm
For me, my only recent paying gig has been the open mics I host, some advantage in that I'm not playing a full gig, but I always open the night with 3-4 songs, and finish out with a song or two, depending on time.
Like JimmyD, my day starts at 6am, off to a full day at work, get home at 5:15pm, pack up equipment, get to club at 6;15, set up, after 11 break it all down, bring it home (and unpack, don't want to leave everything out in the truck). And its a Wednesday day night, so even if I manage to turn out the lights by midnight, usually too wound up to go rihgt to sleep, and its up again at 6am on Thursday.

Other prep work - night before I make sure everything is packed up, ready to go, as I will often have taken mic or guitar cables or other things out to use since the last OM. I like to keep adding new songs to my list, too, so will practice those frequently in the few days leading up to the OM.

#234675 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:32 am
Brendan, I hate to bring this up because this site has gotten a bit out of control. Could be a computer glitch.

Has anyone else tried to listen to Brendans music? He has a ton listed but I can't get them to play. I would hate to chime in with all sorts of advice and back scratching if I can't hear the songs. Any advice?

#234676 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 am
Oh... By the way... Don't eat a lot of chili before a gig.