This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#233466 by Paleopete
Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 pm
Got our first gig booked, for this Friday night. Crawfish place here that has bands playing, so we'll be there Friday night to see how it goes. As usual I'm a little nervous about a first gig, but at the same time I know what these guys can do so if I can get my fingers in a bit better shape it should be ok. Not practicing enough recently, so I'm a bit rusty but not bad.

Anyway thought I'd drop a post on here about it, looks like we might be doing some gigging in the near future. We were pretty much ready a while back but other things got in the way so it got postponed for a while, finally started getting back in the practice room a couple of weeks ago now we just have to polish a few things, but have enough material ready for this 3 our deal. Still working on new stuff though, seems we add something to the "back burner" list almost every practice. I think we have about a half dozen songs in the not quite ready stage and at least that many more just getting started...

I just hope my voice keeps getting stronger with more practice...

#233467 by J-HALEY
Mon May 12, 2014 7:40 pm
Cool beans Billy. Congrats let us know how it goes!

#233469 by Paleopete
Mon May 12, 2014 8:09 pm
Will do. It's outside as far as I know, local crawfish place, we're not sure yet if it will be a good idea to bring a trailer, Shane plans to check with some guys he knows who have already played there and see what they say about location, power, all that. If it's anything like the crawfish place I Played in Louisiana it should be pretty good. Outside means it's a bitch to get good sound, but we should be able to deal with it.

I just ordered some strings from Sweetwater, should have them in 2 days, still trying to decide whether to use full pedal board or smaller rig with just overdrive pedal, tuner and echo...decisions decisions...

#233470 by jw123
Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 pm
Sounds great man! Knock em dead!

Got the first gig sat night of my John Wilder Experiment, got a guy on bass that can litereally sing anything, a guitarist who was signed and released a couple of albums with Warner Bro, got a drummer that has played with everyone in Memphis at least twice, and a sax player who just blows us all out of the water.

Need to get a solid song list, if not we will just wing it, gonna be awesome, this is one band where Im the low man on the totum pole. Bob the bassist/singer said dont worry man whatever happens I got you covered!

So Im not concerned one bit!

I played this past thursday night, and sat night, tonight is my usual house open mic, and Oh yeah you gear heads on here, I just picked up a Charvel EVH Artist series, gonna bring it out tonight with my Fryette.

So musically Im a busy beaver

Hope things are going good with all you guys on here, Im not even gonna page thru the whiney threads! LOL!, I really dont have time!

til next time rock on!

#233491 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 13, 2014 12:51 pm
Rock on, boys! 8)

#233502 by gbheil
Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 pm
That's good news Billy.
Go get em brother !

#233533 by Paleopete
Wed May 14, 2014 10:45 pm
Thanks a lot guys, we're looking forward to it. John, sounds like you're where I like to be..if I'm the weakest player in the band, it's a good band...pretty close to it now actually.

Had a rough day at practice Sunday, tried out a drummer. I wasn't exactly on top of things, haven't been all week actually, but did ok. Drummer was decent, tendency to rush the slow ones and drag the fast ones, but otherwise pretty good. We'll see what happens as it goes, might get better...

#233577 by Paleopete
Sat May 17, 2014 7:15 pm
Update...

Went pretty well, a bit shaky at times, minor PA problems at first but not hard to figure out. A few glitches here and there, I lost it in the middle of one song, suddenly my mind was a blank...where the hell am I???? Picked it up and continued on with no more problems. Voice even handled it better than I expected. Been having vocal problems a lot lately, I guess it's a combination of 40 years smoking and sang with the flu a couple of times and completely lost my voice, couldn't even talk. Lost about 4 steps off the high end, but practice seems to be getting the vocal chords in better shape but slowly.

Anyway I wasn't up to par vocally, but a lot better than when we started out. Overall not bad, I guess it's a positive note that we started with around 30-40 people and all but 2 or 3 stayed there all night. And gained a few along the way, they mostly stayed too. Outside in the front parking lot, sound was pretty decent for outdoor, after we got the initial feedback problem settled. Super Reverb sounded great as usual, volume low enough to keep it pretty clean. Owner said he'd like to book us again so I guess we did ok.

#233578 by J-HALEY
Sat May 17, 2014 9:42 pm
Congrats on a gig well done Billy! 8)

#233816 by Paleopete
Thu May 22, 2014 11:46 pm
I'm not sure I would say well done, but it went ok all things considered. I've done better...

But thanks...