This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#224505 by gbheil
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:26 pm
Cool

We have several regulars whom also DIY.

Welcome.

#224509 by jw123
Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:42 pm
Yea Im a consumer not a maker, LOL

Mikey is really into pedals and making all sorts, Im sure he will respond at some point.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for talking about something musical

#224651 by Will_72908
Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:40 am
There's several websites that cater to those who make their own stomp-boxes or amps. (Google 'em)

That said, I like doing the DIY thing when I have the resources. Tube amp parts aren't always cheap (Trannys in particular)

#224659 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:37 am
I don't sell anything but I dabble a little for my own use. I had a old Sound City years ago and sent it in for some work. $400 later I got it back full of CP tubes and it still had the same issues it went in with.......bad filter caps. That pissed me off so I did some research and learned how to change them and bias the amp myself. I've been doing all of my own work since. As far as pedals go I started with a Monte Allums mod kit. My old unused MT2 was my first victim. I went a little off script in the clipping section because I didn't care for the germanium diode changes and the LEDs used in the kit didn't quite get me where I needed to be either. Here is a short clip of the pedal post OP with pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziY5LJzq9Ig

My next project brought me closer to amps but was still a pedal. I built a Valvecaster. It's basically a 12AU7 based clean boost that throws out about 40db of boost. The nice thing about it 12AU7 tubes is they will run on super low voltage which makes this possible. It doesn't have all the hiss you hear with silicone based versions which I really like. It takes a tube amp on the edge of break up right to crunch town. I also like to put an OD in front of it to get the tube in the pedal to distort. It was a fun project that cost about $40 in parts.

Short clip of it showing my indicator feature (amber LED mounted under the tube). I'm running a 12BH7 in mine in the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_0vt802HYo

I mess around in the wood working area too. I've made a few pedals boards which isn't much to crow about but they turned out pretty good. I also built a pine 212 cab that I still need to cover. The center baffle sits in a tight dato and is removable. I wanted it to have better stereo separation when I used it with a small rack rig I have.

Most of the time I use it with a single tube amp.

I put a pair of '74 CTS alnicos in it I bought off of a guy that broke down an old Kustom Tuck & Roll cab. They are the 12" version of the speaker everyone crows about in older Super Reverbs.

I connected the speakers to separate jacks and made a series/parallel box to allow me to run the cab 4 ohm, 16 ohm or 2 x 8 ohm stereo.

I've got a little Bogen on my bench that I've yet to get serious with.

I also gutted a trashed Hammond M-111 and have both amps from that I'm going to convert into guitar amps. The AO-29 will be a 5E3 and the AO-44 will head more in the 18W Lite direction. I decided to try do something with the wood from the organ too.....at least what I could salvage because most of it was trashed from being stored outside under a tarp. I cut it down and used parts of the sides and speaker baffle for my 5E3 build. I will have to make my own top because there wasn't enough undamaged wood for original on that. It's a manageable size now and still keeps the Hammond character. I was considering going with a split chassis like those old '60s Valco's because I have the nice sleeving from the organ but that could make things a little more difficult than my basic skills can handle. :roll:

#226137 by Deadguitars
Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:14 pm
custom is the way to go !
cabs / amps / guitar .... all custom
crap at guitar center is crap

#226517 by J-HALEY
Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:23 pm
rkscott7 wrote:Just built this buffer as a christmas gift to a jamming bud Image

That's one Kewl Kat!

#226529 by Deadguitars
Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 pm
rkscott7 wrote:Just built this buffer as a christmas gift to a jamming bud Image

Thats pretty sweet .... been meaning to get something like that for my non-buffered guitars ....
My main axe has the buffer in it .......