This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#229746 by gbheil
Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:36 pm
To the best of my limited ability . . . Glorifying God with the talents I have on loan, and the people He's placed in my path.

For myself.
That's good enough.

#229756 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:40 pm
most "important"???

hmmmm, that's a pretty open ended question.

ok, i'll play....and i'll do it in regards to what's "important to me" when performing out.

in no particular order, it's important to me to:

1. be the best team player i can be. that means using big ears and taste to always compliment and support my bandmates as best i can.

2. bring light instead of heat and not make any more work for the owners/mgrs/ staff working at the venue.

3. treat patrons w respect and courtesy (unless or up until they show they are undeserving of it).

4. play at appropriate volume for the gig.

5. bring good vibes and a positive attitude to every gig even if i have stuff on my plate that's got me bugged.

6. let my cohorts know i appreciate them and their skills.

there's prolly much more, but that's what comes to mind under the "gigs" heading.

also noteworthy is the fact that i have a certain hierarchy of who i'm trying to please when i play out. yeah, i understand the importance of "playing for the audience"...and i do.

but...the first person i ALWAYS strive to please is MYSELF, next is my bandmates and THEN...it's the audience.

i figure if i'm taking care of the first two....hopefully then the third will sign on for the ride. 8)

#229760 by gbheil
Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:21 pm
yod wrote:Going home for a few days....

Sounds like a first world problem to me . . .

Just kidding man . . . I believe I comprehend the importance of family more than most.

#229784 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:36 am
Stupid things like posting some audio.

#229794 by MikeTalbot
Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 am
Most important to me is putting together the songs that come to me. I love to play my guitar and bass but unless I'm in a working cover band I play my own stuff because, well because! 8)

Shawn - playing what I feel. Yep. I allow myself perhaps too much time just squeezing it out but I believe it to be a wonderful blessing to have a way to do that.

Dane - team player. That should be a default - you shouldn't have to even mention it. But all of us how our bag full of horror stories - the times we got screwed because some lame brain failed to show, or the singer got delusions of grandeur.

Glen - audio...sigh. My Achilles heel. I'm trying to convince a pal of mine to assist with that. He has the chops if he can make the time.

George - I rarely write 'Christian' music per se but I share your opinion that we should glorify God in our playing - and rise to the level we can rather than be disrespectful to the gift.

Plus I live in the south - were even the outlaws take off their hats in church!

Talbot

#229826 by Starfish Scott
Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:26 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:But all of us how our bag full of horror stories - the times we got screwed because some lame brain failed to show, or the singer got delusions of grandeur.

Plus I live in the south - were even the outlaws take off their hats in church!

Talbot

All the smart outlaws take off their hats in church, jr. lol

You don't have to be in the south for that.

And it ain't always the singer, but it's always some douche that thinks they are indispensable.

No man is an island, but almost no one is irreplaceable and if you are stuck with one of those and they screw ya, it's not going to work.

They just break everything you try to make, either because they can't handle it because it's reasonable or the voices in their head told em to.

Either way, cut your ties and head for new horizons.
The minute someone thinks they are alone in the process, you are in some serious trouble.

#229832 by Slacker G
Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:57 pm
Hearing wonderful tones of my guitar coming through my amplifier inspire me to give it all I have.

When jamming with other musicians having everyone in the groove is inspiring. :)

#229893 by neanderpaul
Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 pm
To satisfy myself artistically, sonically.

#229897 by Planetguy
Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:38 pm
the old joke comes to mind.....

big biker dude is about to bed some motorcycle momma. he pulls out his way undersized johnson and she says "who are you gonna satisfy with THAT???"

he replies..... "me". 8)

#229899 by neanderpaul
Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:52 pm
:lol:
#229917 by AnotherSubstance
Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 am
A combination of:

1. stepping outside of my comfort zone
2. Trying a new sound
3. Trying NOT to do what is popular or everyone else is doing at the moment...
4. If #3 is impossible, at least putting my own spin on it.

These could all be summed up as

BEING UNIQUE

#229918 by MikeTalbot
Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 am
Mr. Substance

Yep. The key to that though, is finding some cats to do it with - whether you play gigs or just do the g-band thing. I play alone a lot working on songs and practicing on my bass and guitar - but nothing pushes me forward musically more than walking into a room with some guys that can lay it down.

I'm betting you have laid down a song or two to your band or your pals etc and that song all of a sudden come to life. Its sort of phase II in the life of your song - where it fleshes itself out and you hear it clearly.

As to stepping out of comfort zone - absolutely. Every so often I find myself playing the same basic stuff over and over. Got to take risks if you want that reward.

Talbot