This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

When you first really started music:

75%
N/A
25%
#228743 by AnotherSubstance
Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 am
For me it was Nirvana. When I first really started. The person who got me into playing was more of a punk type guitarist (still is!) but I went this way to being with and really never left.

I wanted to be Nirvana... I learned all their songs (perfect for a beginner right?)... I didn't just like or even just love them. I became them, especially Cobain, as much as I could.

Also, I had a pretty strong Hendrix phase.

Hope to hear some interesting stories here.

#228752 by zar535135
Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:15 pm
For me it was The Beatles. I remember making a guitar out of cardboard and getting yarn from my Grandmother for the strings. I "Jammed" to their albums as if I was on stage as a member of the band. The next band I would say was AC/DC. Then KISS, I was hooked by their theatrics and image.
Last edited by zar535135 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#228776 by mike66
Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Back in the 60s it was the Beatles. Ground breaking songs and sounds that defined the decade.

Then In the 70s I heard Yes, and music was never quite the same again. Initially I could not understand how a group of musicians could be so accomplished, and play such complex but exciting music. :D

#228781 by gbheil
Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 pm
I dabbled in bass guitar in my youth but really was not serious.
When the offer was made to get involved in a project as a guitarist, that project was intended for mostly original material.
From that genesis the project has evolved and grown even into functionally producing and recording, yet continues to remain primarily original material.
I, like most, likely all musicians, have some classic motivational examples.
Though I have not in any intentional way pursued their path, but rather my own.

#228843 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:05 am
For me it was Keith Richards.

I played once with a guy who went two years without listening to ANY music for fear it would impact his own creativity.

I think in retrospect he may have missed the boat. The instrument itself leads you down certain paths. I realized twice in the last couple months that I was plagiarizing myself on original songs!

I doubt that I'll sue... :oops:

Talbot

#228857 by Chippy
Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:06 am
Tony Banks.... definitely.
I'll never match his way, but I'll get somewhere close to it.

#228860 by Jahva
Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:37 pm
I'm a cliche of the times. Definetly The Beatles when I was a kid... But also Motown sounds were pretty dominant in my house.
We watched every music related show from the Monkees to Carol Burnette, but when I saw the movie Hard Days Night that was all it took for me. It would be a lot of years before I actually learned to play anything but that was the spark.

#228861 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:46 pm
The Beatles - 50 years ago next month on the Ed Sullivan show 2 Sundays in a row. But musically, the Stones, even the Monkees, had their influence on me too.
But it was 72 when I first heard about Todd Rundgren doing 3/4 of the Something/Anything by himself (all instruments and vocals) that said to me 'one day ... I want to do that too'.