This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#228611 by andyplays
Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:06 am
Hello, I'm new to this site.
I have raw talent, but lack guidance.
If there is a possibility of learning anything unique or useful for any of these instruments, I would be grateful.
Twelve string acoustic, electric guitar, D'harmonica, didgeridoo, piano, any hand percussion.
I also aspire to sing, I can do it okay.. I just do not have powerful vocals.
If there is any help in this area to that would be great.
Tho I am new, seven months of playing is all it took for me to master guitar. A few days for the harmonica.. Didgeridoo took me a year to circular breathe.
I really just need pointing in the right direction to use my skill in.
Tho I can do these things, my mind lacks the information to use my skill to it's full potential.
Help please<3
Peace and love friends.

#228614 by gbheil
Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:14 am
Bandmix is a GOOD place to learn, and gather information.
Though you have to walk through lots of fertilizer to find the flowers.
Start by recording and posting up examples of what it is your doing NOW.

All relevant advice must have a point of origin from which to work.

#228631 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:40 pm
Unless you are some type of prodigy, you have NOT mastered guitar in 7 months! Keep playing and practicing. Find some local poeple you can play with - learning to play with others is as important (or maybe moreso) than just learning techniques.

#228636 by Planetguy
Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 pm
no one masters guitar...or any instrument. or music.

if you think you've "mastered" something you're resting on your laurels and you're content settling for where you are at right now.

there is ALWAYS more to learn. (yeah...you're asking for advice in that area so it appears you DO recognize that.)

there's always new things to learn..... and though physical skills (chops/technique) are important on any instrument, it's your imagination and having something to say that separates the boys from the men.

before you spend too much time worrying about reinventing the wheel..do everything you can to fully learn and understand the wheel.

if you think you've "mastered" something you'll never improve. some of the best players from all eras readily admitted and acknowledged they still had very far to go and always work(ed) their asses off to keep moving forward.

....you might want to do a little background research on Sonny Rollins as an example.

to paraphrase an old saying: since no one ever really arrives....you better enjoy the journey.

your profile page says:

" Once I understand scales, keys, and other details I could easily master any instrument with motivation.

well, there ya go. if you want to know what to work on to improve your musicianship and if you're interested in playing music w others.....that knowledge is very important and useful. especially for multi-instrumentalists.

now, post some music! :wink:

#228668 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:37 am
We had that chat before - as in 'what is mastering?'

I define it like this - the first step of mastering is when you realize you regard yourself as a guitar player. The second step is when other do.

The third step is when you die. That's when you are as absolutely good as you are going to get.

But to master it? I have a todo list that I hope will elevate me to mediocre before I take the high jump.

I think our new friends means he has gotten to number 1 or 2.

I played a gig on bass with only four months under my belt. I certainly hadn't mastered the instrument but I'd gotten up off my ass - which is probably the most important thing.

Talbot