This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#228134 by jay566584
Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 am
I have a few tunes, but right now I have almost no inspiration whatsoever to finish these up. I need help! Is like I am down and out, not wanting to write or play anything. I do feel sick today, with headache, but I just can't make it happen...

Have any of you ran into this situation? Please advise! Thanks! [/img]

#228138 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:24 am
If they are really good ideas just put them aside momentarily and silently ask your mind to come up with the answer.

If they are not really good ideas... just move on.

Harry Chapin told me he wrote hundreds of bad songs in a year. A few were worth the effort to complete them. He then said his brother Tom wrote 3 or 4 songs a year and they were all complete and good.

It is such an individual process that there is no right or wrong.

Now quit bugging me so I can get back to pissing off planet jerk.

#228140 by jay566584
Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 am
Thanks man... I think they are okay... I have dropped a lot of bad ones though... Just today I have no inspiration at all! Have you ever been in the situation where you had a gig, and you felt terrible? But the show must go on. I've been there, and it is just terrible. At least it wasn't terrible sounding, but those days I wished I just stayed in bed.

GLENNY J wrote:If they are really good ideas just put them aside momentarily and silently ask your mind to come up with the answer.

If they are not really good ideas... just move on.

Harry Chapin told me he wrote hundreds of bad songs in a year. A few were worth the effort to complete them. He then said his brother Tom wrote 3 or 4 songs a year and they were all complete and good.

It is such an individual process that there is no right or wrong.

Now quit bugging me so I can get back to pissing off planet jerk.

#228145 by MikeTalbot
Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 am
I was whining (like you) to a guy who is a pretty good keyboard player and arranger - he told me to shut up and write a song to this title: "I'm so miserable without you - it's almost like having you here..."

I did. It gave me a whole new song and it was only the second country song I've ever written.

Find yourself a title or a theme. The earth is the Lord's and full of wonders -plenty of things to write songs about. Poke your head out and say to yourself, "I'm the artist in this drama - what the heck is going on here?" Do something about it.

You'll be back on track in no time.

Tip - I write some crazy sh*t but right now I'm fascinated by Psalm 32. You never know where you are going to find some gold. Just don't hesitate - write it down as soon as it passes through your brain.

Talbot

#228149 by Jahva
Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:44 pm
Writers block.... Ughhh.
Sounds like your mood might be a good topic or place to start.
I don't like to linger on anything for too long, so I give an idea about two weeks. If it's not near complete I shelf it... Can always revisit it so I don't see any point in hanging around waiting for something to come to me. Well that works for me anyway.
Life and everything around you good, bad or indifferent can and should bring inspiration.
Mike T brought up a good point... Start with a phrase ( I like using old cliches) and build from there.
Bob Seger told a very young Glenn Frey just keep writing yeah most will be bad but you'll find a good one here and there.
I guess I subscribe to quality comes from quantity.
One of my all time favorite lines by Springsteen "Man the poets down here don't write nothing at all they just stand back and let it all be" that inspires me to write.
Good luck to you just keep at it.

#228150 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:01 pm
Yeah, many of my song inspirations will come from a phrase I hear or read.
I've got a stack of song lyrics that I will occasionally pick up and thumb through, some go right back in the pile, others will just 'pop out' at times.

If you find yourself in a rut/block for an extended time, you can ignore it by learning new cover songs, or attack it by trying to find a songwriter group or workshop you can attend.
#228276 by jay566584
Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:30 am
I actually took a nap, showered (for some reason that's where the happy tunes come in) and then ended up writing a description of what I wanted to write about... ended up with 17 possible awesome titles I always wanted to create a song for.

I have 5 song melodies that will fit right in, and now that I have the topics of what I want, I am sure I can come up with some nifty items. The goal is to release 14 songs by June... so we'll see how things keep marching along.

Thanks for the feedback! I am really thankful for some feedback here, as sometimes it is hard to find inspiration within family members, or people that aren't as inspired or have the same goals that I have. Hopefully I'll be posting some samples in February.

Thanks again!

#228299 by gbheil
Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:14 pm
Shizzle happens . . .
Call it writers block, plateaus, or dragons, sometimes you just have to back up and sit on a rock for a little while.
Then hit it like you live . . . hard n fast. 8)
#228746 by AnotherSubstance
Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:16 am
Don't feel bad...

I've abandoned about 3 times the number of songs I've finished EASY.

Just keep making more.

If you're not happy with a song, keep it saved somewhere and move on.

OR, do what I do.... rip out the best parts and abandon the rest.

Next thing you know you have a collection of your best stuff and can make a few really good songs from the gems left over. :wink:

#228750 by lalong
Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:59 am
As Glen J, I do the same. Keep the fragments and get enough before you know it you’ll collect enough pieces to complete the puzzle. It’s hard trying to specifically write something started in a different session unless you can re-capture that feeling you have at that moment. At least that’s how it is with myself.