This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#228003 by REALGUITARIST777
Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:04 am
I`m curious. I`ve had an account on Bandmix on and off for years. I don`t know why though because I`ve never made a connection through the website. When I search for a bassist, I get all these hits with people who check every instrument they have ever tinkered with. When I search for a bassist, I want a REAL bassist, not a frustrated guitarist or someone who thinks just because they play guitar that makes them a bassist automatically. There are extreme differences. Same goes for drummers. Just because you can play 4/4 time or have fast hands does NOT mean you`re a drummer. Maybe it`s me but I can play bass and drums and piano but not well enough to play with a professional band so I don`t check the boxes. And I have an account to find other musicians to work with, not to network so if a person isn`t going to go to any auditions or try to join or create a band, why have an account here?? Hey I get it, to each his own, but it surely does make it exponentially difficult for us artists who are really trying to create a project to work with....just sayin... Oh while I vent,... There are many types of artist, I get it but there should be a separate menu for the professional artists who perform music for a living. That way, you know when you search that if you find someone, they will actually show up to audition or be there when you set up a meeting. Isn`t there any real artists out there who want to take a step above the weekend warrior thing??? Just let me know, I can adapt to most anything short of rap or screaming. Thats all I have to say about that....

#228012 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:05 pm
You joined 8 months ago - I've been searching for people/bands longer and not just using this place. It's not an easy process. Your profile does not have any way to contact you - only premium (paying) members can do so. Most people browsing for others check the profiles without registering or paying, so you're turning away 75% of your chances immediately.
The only pictures you have on your profile are of equipment, no videos or still pictures of you playing - I'm guessing many people would blow you off as a 'wannabe' because of that despite your MP3 samples.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#228020 by zar535135
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:25 pm
I don't think that it's the website that is a "fail". The website can not control or determine how someone chooses to define themselves. If someone expects a certain level of musician to respond to their profile, then they themselves better be able to deliver the same if not higher level of talent and ability.
Being considered a "professional" does not automatically sort out the "cream of the crop", how many Doctors,Lawyers and so-called "professionals" have bad attitudes and the "I can't be bothered" approached to things.
And what does one need to accomplish to be considered an "Artist"? I think each person can have their own point of view and perspective to determine whether they are an "Artist".

#228021 by Slacker G
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 pm
zar535135 wrote: I don't think that it's the website that is a "fail". The website can not control or determine how someone chooses to define themselves. If someone expects a certain level of musician to respond to their profile, then they themselves better be able to deliver the same if not higher level of talent and ability.
Being considered a "professional" does not automatically sort out the "cream of the crop", how many Doctors,Lawyers and so-called "professionals" have bad attitudes and the "I can't be bothered" approached to things.
And what does one need to accomplish to be considered an "Artist"? I think each person can have their own point of view and perspective to determine whether they are an "Artist".

Quite concise. I enjoyed reading it. :)

#228022 by zar535135
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 pm
Slacker G wrote:
zar535135 wrote: I don't think that it's the website that is a "fail". The website can not control or determine how someone chooses to define themselves. If someone expects a certain level of musician to respond to their profile, then they themselves better be able to deliver the same if not higher level of talent and ability.

Quite concise. I enjoyed reading it. :)

Slacker...I watched some of your "picking" videos on the Y-tube...I was very impressed, great talent.

#228037 by REALGUITARIST777
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 am
I don`t know where you see that I joined 8 months ago but ok. Maybe the last time or with this account. Ive been a member on and off for probably 8 years or so. And I AM a PAYING member. As well as a paying member of several other sites. But it`s kool. Thankfully having made connections in seven or eight states and in Musical cities such as New Orleans, Memphis, Houston and Austin has really helped more. Don`t know what I was thinking. Kinda like an open mic night here. Honestly, you make wayyy more REAL connections on Reverbnation. Hell, even Craigslist is much better. Just sayin`,...there are issues with Bandmix. How many Professional Artists have U found here??? Exactly! As far as the "control" Bandmix has,...That is exactly the problem. Why allow people to click every instrument listed in the choice of which instrument they play?? Man Ive been playing for a living for over 15 years and I have only met a few guys who could really perform professionally with more than 2 instruments. Maybe thats why the Pros perform with a primary instrument. Eric Clapton play bass? John Bonham play guitar? I`m sure they could but on stage in a performance?? Hey Im not out to make enemies. Really don`t see how anyone could take the points made here personally anyway but there are always those who suffer from the complex. Pictures??? There is a contact number, links to at least one website or Reverbnation and email address. What else should I add ya think. Im anything BUT a wannabe, Obviously. The whole point in finding players is to take the next step. Don`t know why I would need a video or picture of myself but ok, there are a few on Reverbnation. People just take this and twist and twist. But like I stated, its all good. Im pretty much done here, ergo the initial rant. Ive gigged for over 20 years, Ive recorded with some of the best ever to play music, I`m a guitar tech and 1000000% serious musician. I have no other priorities. I am a Professional Artist who Sings, Writes, and plays guitar. I followed the guidelines, posted raw recordings, and connections. It`s posted. Take care all and best of luck, "Keep The Funk Alive!"

#228041 by zar535135
Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm
darin72000 wrote: As far as the "control" Bandmix has,...That is exactly the problem. Why allow people to click every instrument listed in the choice of which instrument they play??

So what you are saying is that you would support Censorship..Allow Band Mix to determine what you can and can not click as your preferred instrument of choice! What if band Mix set the standards to define one as a "Professional", and your "20 yrs" doesnt fit the required criteria and removed that description from your profile..Hmm bet someone would get all wound up....

#228042 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:57 pm
Per your profile:
So if you had a previous profile, you started a new one (how would I or anyone know? Under this profile you have posted 3 times in this forum. Looks like you updated your profile to include a phone number, but your RN link is no good and chances are the phone number will get deleted by the BM mods.
You missed my point about premium members - only premium members can send messages - a causal browser 9or non-paying member) cannot send you a message.

How many 'professional' artists here? Not many - the real pros (ie those who make a living playing music) are doing just that - playing and everything that goes along with it, they're not looking at local musician ads here or on Craigslist.
It's says it right on the BM front page: "Connecting local musicians".

Good luck in your search, your music sounds good. My suggestions about pictures of yourself (or videos) is because in this day and age, a front man has to look the part, and that looks like what you are trying to establish - a band with you at the front.

#228048 by Starfish Scott
Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:30 pm
It's never easy when you deal with musicians; you are dealing with a pack of whiny babies that are looking for reasons to exclude, rather than include.

So more often than not, it's a little luck and a little settling for that which can be worked with.

There are plenty of musicians that are good here, but unfortunately on the untenable side of it. (ssdd) Everyone thinks they have a plan and most are just delusional.

Even after they err and admit it, there is this tendency to try to explain away the issue, even though on some level they finally realize they made a mistake. No one wants to own their own error(s), which I don't get.
If you made a mistake, take responsibility and move on.

Better to take some people you may have to cultivate a little to get something usable, rather than an astute pack of jackasses that just refuse to play together because of personal issues and would be ego(s).

I saw some of that stuff on NYE with the band that went on before us.

A pack of old bastards that glared at each other, like they were mad that one of them overplayed their part and stole some limelight from another geezer. It's a team sport and few get that at all, if ever.

No one person is ever going to be the big determinant because it takes all the parts to have something worthwhile and quality.

I.E. Elvis is dead and he isn't coming back for a last show.