This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#227932 by REALGUITARIST777
Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:25 pm
When it comes to guitars, they ALL fail when it comes to the "X" factor, or human factor. Also, each piece of wood is different on each guitar which can make huge differences in tone. Also, they make changes each few years or so to keep it fresh so some may like a `59 Strat and others a 2013 Strat. All according to each artist. But honestly in the past 15 years or so, I haven`t bought a single guitar that I didn`t immediately set-up. Most people don`t really have a clue when it comes to guitars. If all the parts are there, there is no reason the guitar can`t be set-up to fit you perfectly. As far as the imported PRS`s, nuh uh. When it comes to tone, they are not even close to an American Strat. To me they sound like a plastic box with strings tied to it. Of course unless you play metal then most anything with over wound pups will work, to an extent. Not knockin metal. I love rockin it out every once in a while but I use my Les Paul when I do. Strats are THE most popular guitars ever built. The Strat has been used by everybody who is or was anybody on stages all over the globe. Do you really think that everyone out there using them have it wrong??? Im not bias, in fact my current guitars are an American Ash Strat Deluxe, Gibson Les Paul Standard, and a Sheraton Semi Hollow Body in which I have rebuilt as a 335. I state these points as a 20+ year guitarist, a 15+ year guitar tech, and I`ve owned probably 15 Strats among at least 40 other guitars.

#227987 by Slacker G
Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:25 pm
I'm not bias, in fact my current guitars are an American Ash Strat Deluxe, Gibson Les Paul Standard, and a Sheraton Semi Hollow Body in which I have rebuilt as a 335.

Gotta love Swamp Ash. The tone is killer. Next for me is Alder with a bit more soft middle/upper midrange.

I have 5 Strats and love every one. However, the factory finished thick plastic varnish ones have a bit more plasticky sound to them as opposed to the ones that have a very light coat of finish. The heavy plastic coat seems to kill the natural resonance of the wood.

#228061 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:22 pm
Darin

I find it hard to read your posts - could you put in more paragraphs please?

thanks
Talbot

#228062 by Planetguy
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 pm
i've gotta 2007 American w rosewood board and tremelo (or to be accurate...vibrato). hadn't played it in awhile and this thread prompted me to revisit. damn...i love that gtr. super, super resonant.

i'm a huge believer in the notion that you have to play any solid or semi-hollow body gtr or bass unplugged before you amplify it when considering purchase.

and if the sound and the mojo ain't there acoustically, it doesn't matter what pickups you put in it.

#228102 by Shawn Sun
Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:48 pm
each GUITAR IS LIKE A HUMAN FINGER PRINT UNIQUE TO ITSELF. Even off the assembly line all sound and feel different. My current Strat is a 69 re-issue of the Jimi Woodstock strat. All five pickup positions sound great, it stays in tune even when wang barring it, the blond neck took me some getting used to ( all my other strats were rosewood neck) Its just oozing with tone and response. Absolutely love it

#228402 by Blue Deuce
Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:28 am
My 97 AS Tele is the best guitar I've ever played --- was that way right off of the shelf and stayed that way. I own many other guitars, including other teles, strats, les Paul, SG, Carvin, etc., but nothing feels better or stays and sounds more true. There is definitely a difference from one guitar to another (in any brand) in my experience, it's just a matter of patience and luck. The "jewels" don't stay on the shelves very long.