This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#227561 by jw123
Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm
Went on a little Christmas binge for myself.

I guess folks who know me on here, know that Im a Mesa man. I had decided to get a combo amp and went and looked at some Mesa's. For some reason none of them felt right.

I happened to go into Guitar Center and went into thier little used amp room. I found a Fryette Memphis amp, I had never heard of these before. There was a Bogner, (which honestly I couldnt figure out the channel configuration), some nice older Fenders, a Marshall JCM 800, couple of Mesa's.

I took my LP with me on this day and tryed everything in the room, I hooked up to the Fryette and this amp has one of the best clean sounds I have ever heard in my life out of an amp, plus the reverb on the amp was too die for. I wound up playing on this amp for an hour, just putting it thru its paces. It was a pricey amp, so I talked to the guy I know in there and he said if I were to have any amp my self in this place that would be the one, its hand made, hand wired point to point amp, a boutique amp. So I bought it.

It has a great clean channel and also a great drive channel with a boost, so its almost like a 4 channel amp. Clean then boost clean into a little overdrive, then a dirty channel and boost into a solo sound. It is swichable between 30 watts and 18 watts, so i assigned 30 watts to the clean channel and 18 watts to the dirty channel.

I went back by the Mesa store, they have some great pedals and bought a T-Rex Twin Boost disortion pedal, and an analog Delay pedal, a Supa Puss, which has tap tempo, while in there they had a used Orange Tiny Terror amp in combo form with a 12 inch speaker. so What the hell I picked up the tiny terror also, its another little amp Ive been jonesing over.

So anyway Merry Christmas to myself, and if anyone gets a chance to check out a Fryette amp, I would recomend it, but if you plug into one of these you are gonna want it, its the most touch responsive amp Ive ever played on.

#227565 by Mike Nobody
Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:59 pm
The company was originally founded as VHT Amplification by Steven Fryette in 1989
Stephen Fryette was also once a guitarist for punk rock group The Dickies, better known for their theme to "The Killer Klowns From Outer Space".

http://youtu.be/tGVX033PiDA

#227576 by gbheil
Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:01 pm
I'm resisting the purchase of a Yamaha THR for my practice room, and because it operates on batteries I figure it would serve well on our Fireside project.

Went to the shop I had seen it in recently, telling myself if it was there to purchase, if not, take it as a sign I don't really need it.

It was not there . . . :(

Dang it :lol:

#227578 by Cajundaddy
Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 pm
Funny, I am in the opposite mode right now. GLS (gear liquidation syndrome). A bunch of nice stuff that I just had to own is sitting in my gear locker and isn't getting used much so off to craigslist it goes.

A really sweet LP Studio sunburst that I just never play, Vox Tonelab, Tiny Terror amp, and a pair of high-end EV 1506 horn drivers that are just too much sound for my needs right now. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes...

#227585 by gbheil
Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:14 pm
Thejohnny7band wrote:Funny, I am in the opposite mode right now. GLS (gear liquidation syndrome). A bunch of nice stuff that I just had to own is sitting in my gear locker and isn't getting used much so off to craigslist it goes.

A really sweet LP Studio sunburst that I just never play, Vox Tonelab, Tiny Terror amp, and a pair of high-end EV 1506 horn drivers that are just too much sound for my needs right now. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes...

Let me know how that goes.
I also have some 'overstocked inventory' that could use a sell off.
I just hate taking a beating on the value vs purchase price.

#227586 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:15 pm
I ordered a couple of small CAD condensor mics from Musicians Friend (Stupid Deal of the Day), think that'll be it for me this holiday season!

#227587 by jw123
Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:27 pm
Those CAD mics are cool, we use two of them for our drum overheads.

You need phantom power.

Ive got an Explorer and Flying V in my mind for some more acquisitions

#227590 by Cajundaddy
Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:21 pm
sanshouheil wrote:
Thejohnny7band wrote:Funny, I am in the opposite mode right now. GLS (gear liquidation syndrome). A bunch of nice stuff that I just had to own is sitting in my gear locker and isn't getting used much so off to craigslist it goes.

It is what it is.

I have been buying and selling used musician gear all my life and a fair ballpark price for used gear in like-new condition is roughly 1/2 retail with some a little more, some less. If it is road-worn it is worth less, really out of fashion electronics are worth much less or around 1/10th retail. The one thing I am sure of is that it is worth more today than it will be next month or next year. If I am not currently using it and don't see a need in the near future it is just depreciating every day while taking up storage space in my studio. Better to get it into the hands of another musician who can use it now and appreciates saving 1/2 on the cost of their gear.

The only thing that consistently gains value over time is 50s and 60s vintage American guitars and some tube amps. I won't be selling these just yet. :D

#227591 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:25 pm
jw123 wrote:Those CAD mics are cool, we use two of them for our drum overheads.

You need phantom power.

Ive got an Explorer and Flying V in my mind for some more acquisitions

My Tascam US800 audio interface has phantom power as does my Mackie mixer.

John - I can see your loss of a spouse has sparked a real case of GAS! More power to you!

#227595 by gbheil
Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:49 pm
Thejohnny7band wrote:
sanshouheil wrote:

It is what it is.

I have been buying and selling used musician gear all my life and a fair ballpark price for used gear in like-new condition is roughly 1/2 retail with some a little more, some less. If it is road-worn it is worth less, really out of fashion electronics are worth much less or around 1/10th retail. The one thing I am sure of is that it is worth more today than it will be next month or next year. If I am not currently using it and don't see a need in the near future it is just depreciating every day while taking up storage space in my studio. Better to get it into the hands of another musician who can use it now and appreciates saving 1/2 on the cost of their gear.

The only thing that consistently gains value over time is 50s and 60s vintage American guitars and some tube amps. I won't be selling these just yet. :D

Good points.
I've never utilized Craig's list . . . and frankly, the horror stories kinda turn me off.
Guess I'll just have to get over it. :wink:

#227596 by Cajundaddy
Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:23 am
George,

Like most things, CL is just a tool with a variety of possible outcomes. If you take the time and learn to use it well it will be your servant and regularly put meat in the freezer, gear in the locker or cash in the bank. If you don't learn to use it carefully and safely you will risk potentially shooting yourself in the foot or putting your eye out.

#227597 by MikeTalbot
Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:56 am
My white Firebird was my newly single man's gift to self this year.

[url]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2013-firebird-electric-guitar?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CNOpnuPKvbsCFSRk7AodIEAAYQ&kwid=productads-plaid^57303299587-sku^H13477000002000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^30421986147[/url]

It's a lovely guitar - looks like a million bucks and sounds about as good as one could ever dare hope for. It feels lighter than Firebirds I played before - perhaps because the one I played longest was actually a bass and that darn thing was heavy.

While I was at it I figured what the hell and bought an Ibanez wah peddle called Demon (not great but ok) and a tuner.

Not being married has several advantages - money - I've had it for a while but wasn't allowed to spend it; time - marriage is a time eater. If it is working right that is probably ok. But I have this picture in my head of Beethoven's wife bitching, "We never talk anymore..."

Talbot

#227621 by Starfish Scott
Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:16 pm
Ooh we should have a thread here that itemizes what each of us is looking to get rid of and what we are actively looking to buy.

"I bet I got something you might want and vice versa".

And you know damn well we give breaks to those that give breaks to us, i.e. do not screw your bmix brethren !!!!!

#227628 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:54 pm
Got rid of most of my extra 'stuff' on ebay or CL, what's left is barely worth trying to get rid of. I'm not a hoarder, just a packrat!

#227629 by Starfish Scott
Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:44 pm
I always pick up the goodies if they are the equivalent of giving them away.

"You never know what you can trade away for something you really need".

And some things are universal, mains and monitors for 1.

You always need a good set of mains and some monitors, unless you use the house PA. (ecch)