This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#226659 by WHENEVILCALLS
Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:06 pm
Makes no sense why I cant find a double bass drummer or hardcore vocalist to finish this project im doing. Even on here after being on premium its a CRAP shoot. 14 messages sent out nothing back. Go listen cause it sure aint dogshit. Good luck to all who can actually find somebody on here.

#226661 by fisherman bob
Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 pm
14 messages is nothing really. Sometimes it takes sending dozens to get a response. Keep trying. You're bound to find somebody good. This place beats Craigslist hands down for quality people. At least that's the experience I've had.

#226680 by gbheil
Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 am
Bob is right.

I've found the send / receive ratio to be approximately 20:1

It took months of near daily application, but the end result has not only been players but a great many contacts that keep us in gigs.

Message me if your interested, I can give you an overview of the procedure I used to build our band via BandMix.

#226728 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:36 am
The problem with finding good players is that they are in demand. But money will always brings them out of the woodwork and it doesn't take a lot.

:wink:

I just had my first Craigslist experience and it seems to have yielded some good players. I made them post a link to a video where I could see them playing, even if it was only a cell phone camera in their room. That weeded out the posers and old farts. The only ones who followed instructions were pros. Then I talked to them on the phone to see if they were easy to get along with, and the good ones almost always are.

We have a rehearsal on the 18th and a gig on the 19th. That will be a stripped down version with keys, percussion and 2 guitar players. Assuming all goes well, after Christmas we will work in bass and drums (maybe) before we leave for Florida on January 2

#226735 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:57 pm
Yod's approach is a good one - if they can't supply a video or at least MP3 sound samples, they're probably not up to what you are looking for. I think I may not get replies from people (either to my ads or when I respond to theirs) because they are poseurs and wannabes more often than not.

#226738 by Deadguitars
Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:53 pm
Network with other bands - ad on the bulletin board at the studio - C.L. all have yielded band members for me.
Cherry picked our current keys player from another band - took me 6 months to get him to try out but it worked.
As far as C.L. goes - you have to get vids or MP3's from people or you are asking for trouble as Yod and G.Mike said.

:D

#226741 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:53 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Yod's approach is a good one - if they can't supply a video or at least MP3 sound samples, they're probably not up to what you are looking for. I think I may not get replies from people (either to my ads or when I respond to theirs) because they are poseurs and wannabes more often than not.

an mp3 doesn't really work for me because you don't know how many takes they took to make it.

I want to see what they look like (because it does matter) and how smoothly they can perform LIVE, even if it's only on a cell phone camera video. I made it clear this is for a touring band with paying gigs, but I expect them to learn all the back catalogue on their own time and show up at (ONE) rehearsal knowing it well.

I got quite a few cranky old farts calling who were either insecure about their looks or too cool to follow instructions. Frankly, I don't really need a band so if I'm going to go through the trouble of putting one together it will be with people who are confident, committed, work hard, like to travel, and that I like

Only had 3 people (keys, drums, lead guitar) who followed instructions and they seem to be exactly what I am looking for.

I'll let you know how that worked out on the 19th

#226749 by DainNobody
Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 pm
hey yod, if you don't mind me asking, what is the cut-off age to be considered an "old fart"? :roll:

#226751 by gbheil
Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:30 pm
Dane Ellis Allen wrote:hey yod, if you don't mind me asking, what is the cut-off age to be considered an "old fart"? :roll:

50 . . .

#226752 by DainNobody
Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 pm
:lol: he hires a youthful looking 49 year old, he works out well, but in two years yod has to let him go cause now he's an old fart.. :D

#226754 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:00 pm
"Old fart" is an attitude, not an age. I've met plenty of guys younger than me who are old farts. I only act that way on occasion! :lol:

#226756 by DainNobody
Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 pm
Mike, I see it all the time at CL ads, says something like, "must be 20-32 years of age" or something like that, also seen older people wanting nothing but other old farts to join their band.. an old fart probably would rather do the gig on a stool or something, rather than playing the guitar with his teeth or behind his back (a la hendrix) :P

#226757 by J-HALEY
Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:42 pm
I have been searching for a band. The replies I was getting were from either musicians that can't find a band and want to start one, or posers. I am now asking for any bands interested to please Reply with YouTube vids and a website. So far all I hear are crickets LOL Nothing, nada, zilch! Waiting patiently! I have a link to my bandmix site listed in the ads anything you want to know about me is on there?

#226760 by Slacker G
Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:23 am
sanshouheil wrote:
Dane Ellis Allen wrote:hey yod, if you don't mind me asking, what is the cut-off age to be considered an "old fart"? :roll:

50 . . .

85 :)

#226761 by WHENEVILCALLS
Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:28 am
I guess it doesn't matter if im #1 in my area on reverb even if its out of 12 bands , I have no vocalist its just the music alone getting that rating. You think people would want to jump on this. But yeah CL is a cesspool and theres only so many musicians in the area meeting the distance and criteria on here. So I doubt im gonna reup for bandmix premium service again, man thats a joke. Sorry for the rant im no noob I've been doing this since 97. Times change and attitudes of musicians get even worse I guess. Either way I got something and im not about to stop.