This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#222512 by John Livingston
Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:43 am
There is no doubt that sometime in our lives we have to choose between art and life. One imitates the other, but it is the struggle that we all deal with that must force us to make a decision: to give up one for the other.

I can say that most of my life I have striven to be a good musician. Most that have picked up an instrument would say the same. However, what is it that really pushes us to express our self? What it is that pushes us to move on?

It has been my experience that I have had to choose between choosing dedicating my time to music, or dedicating studying something else. Most would say that it means that I have not made enough headway with music to make a difference; it isn't working, so I must move on to something else, but the things that I have done would speak differently.

Can something so important and precious to me be put aside so easily? To say that all my efforts that I have worked for so many years to obtain simply is a moot point. This is devastating to me. The musician that is able to put his or her hand on an instrument and invoke an emotion in an audience seems to be lost anymore.

I want to play. I want to rock. I want blow the minds of all that hear us. It takes a team of individuals able and willing to give everything they have in order to create this atmosphere. It saddens me deeply to think that kind of dedication has been forgone.

Let's make a difference. Let's change their minds.

Let's put on a show that no one would ever dismiss. The best of the best art.

Is there any reason you have to discourage yourself from disregarding this post and moving on?

Tell me.

Tell me, and if you agree that the greatest show on Earth is what we must do, then message me.

Otherwise comment below as to why you think it shouldn't be so.

#222513 by J-HALEY
Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 am
Relax Bro. music is a journey and many times in EVERY musicians life one comes to that Crossroad where We must put our music on the backburner and pursue other endeavors! Music is life and life can throw some curves at you. You don't have to give it up forever. A true musician always has his music in their thoughts! Get your life in order, your ducks in a row then pick your music back up and continue to make yourself and other folks happy! I have been very fortunate in the music biz. only had to give it up one time. I thought for sure at that time it was over. Sold all my gear and concentrated on getting my career re-started and raising my family. One day friends showed up at my door and wanting to start a band. Now they are done with music and I am still doing it. When I see them about once every 10 years they come to watch me play in whatever band I am in, that's when I tell them this is all YOUR fault LOL! :wink:

#222519 by John Livingston
Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:37 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Relax Bro. music is a journey and many times in EVERY musicians life one comes to that Crossroad where We must put our music on the backburner and pursue other endeavors! Music is life and life can throw some curves at you. You don't have to give it up forever. A true musician always has his music in their thoughts! Get your life in order, your ducks in a row then pick your music back up and continue to make yourself and other folks happy! I have been very fortunate in the music biz. only had to give it up one time. I thought for sure at that time it was over. Sold all my gear and concentrated on getting my career re-started and raising my family. One day friends showed up at my door and wanting to start a band. Now they are done with music and I am still doing it. When I see them about once every 10 years they come to watch me play in whatever band I am in, that's when I tell them this is all YOUR fault LOL! :wink:

lol...I am doing fine in my life. I have a good job teaching music and I go to college as well. What I guess I was trying to say to dramatically, is that now is the time. I am ready to make something happen. I appreciate the advice though. It is sound.

#222520 by RGMixProject
Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:57 pm
To late, it was called Woodstock.

#222521 by John Livingston
Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:01 pm
RGMixProject wrote:To late, it was called Woodstock.

LOL, I love this!

#222537 by jimmydanger
Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:32 pm
Now is the time. The future is uncertain, and the past never was.

#222541 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:34 pm
Live for the now. Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is uncertain.

#222548 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:38 pm
lol Someone needs a sominex..

#222550 by jw123
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:40 pm
f**k, just shut up and play is all I can say to this thread

#222561 by J-HALEY
Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 pm
Winston Roberts wrote:Is not music life itself? How life on Earth operates -- injustices are the order of the day, most buying into the "American Dream" owing everything to a bank forcing one to have to take any job possible which might pay the lowest wage possible, demand the longest hours and dedication without a shred of safety nets -- are these not designed to keep down the spirit of men, artists and musicians? There can never be any choice. You, the musician, are that music. No one can take it away ever not in this life nor the next (if there is one before insane power brokers destroy the entire place). One should NEVER think there is any choice having to be made between the "regular world" and your art. The worst that can happen is powers that be work to keep you separated from holding your instrument next to you to put your music into the physical world. For me, I've seen too much talent get caught up with family, family, family and all the drama that comes with it. Another distraction. It's what we're "supposed to do." Is it really? I've no children, wife and frankly and glad I created this situation. It affords me a great deal of my time with my music, my instrument, time studying the recordings of the artists and their musicians I love the most, reading, writing -- everything I can to stay away from things like television and mass corporate media who have reduced the value of the local performing artist to that of the subclass. We, the musicians and artists, must take matters into our own hands and refuse to be the effect of wealth and power. Trust me -- should musicians ever really organize, with our influence, they'd be running scared and things on this planet would change drastically for the better.

In a perfect world and in theory your idea would work. I chose to have a family. I have 6 kids (4 of my own and 2 step) I love them all equally. I play out and earn $200.00 a night I have a career that pays me well. You might say you can do both if you so choose. I don't put folks down for not wanting children god knows they can be a pain in the arse. That is YOUR choice and I wish you luck. I will say you are missing out on the best part of life for not having children, in other words you don't know what your missing. Having said that from the impression you put forth in your post you probably shouldn't have kids.

#222570 by Starfish Scott
Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:03 am
NO SOUP FOR YOU... 2 YEARS lol

#222571 by gbheil
Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:38 am
1 God
2 Wife
3 Family
4 Everything else

I prefer the kiss method.

#222630 by Krul
Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:27 am
Winston Roberts wrote:Is not music life itself? How life on Earth operates -- injustices are the order of the day, most buying into the "American Dream" owing everything to a bank forcing one to have to take any job possible which might pay the lowest wage possible, demand the longest hours and dedication without a shred of safety nets -- are these not designed to keep down the spirit of men, artists and musicians? There can never be any choice. You, the musician, are that music. No one can take it away ever not in this life nor the next (if there is one before insane power brokers destroy the entire place). One should NEVER think there is any choice having to be made between the "regular world" and your art. The worst that can happen is powers that be work to keep you separated from holding your instrument next to you to put your music into the physical world. For me, I've seen too much talent get caught up with family, family, family and all the drama that comes with it. Another distraction. It's what we're "supposed to do." Is it really? I've no children, wife and frankly and glad I created this situation. It affords me a great deal of my time with my music, my instrument, time studying the recordings of the artists and their musicians I love the most, reading, writing -- everything I can to stay away from things like television and mass corporate media who have reduced the value of the local performing artist to that of the subclass. We, the musicians and artists, must take matters into our own hands and refuse to be the effect of wealth and power. Trust me -- should musicians ever really organize, with our influence, they'd be running scared and things on this planet would change drastically for the better.

Probably one of the best posts I've ever read here. In a nutshell, I can relate.
#222631 by Krul
Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:43 am
Jay Summers wrote:There is no doubt that sometime in our lives we have to choose between art and life. One imitates the other, but it is the struggle that we all deal with that must force us to make a decision: to give up one for the other.

I can say that most of my life I have striven to be a good musician. Most that have picked up an instrument would say the same. However, what is it that really pushes us to express our self? What it is that pushes us to move on?

It has been my experience that I have had to choose between choosing dedicating my time to music, or dedicating studying something else. Most would say that it means that I have not made enough headway with music to make a difference; it isn't working, so I must move on to something else, but the things that I have done would speak differently.

Can something so important and precious to me be put aside so easily? To say that all my efforts that I have worked for so many years to obtain simply is a moot point. This is devastating to me. The musician that is able to put his or her hand on an instrument and invoke an emotion in an audience seems to be lost anymore.

I want to play. I want to rock. I want blow the minds of all that hear us. It takes a team of individuals able and willing to give everything they have in order to create this atmosphere. It saddens me deeply to think that kind of dedication has been forgone.

Let's make a difference. Let's change their minds.

Let's put on a show that no one would ever dismiss. The best of the best art.

Is there any reason you have to discourage yourself from disregarding this post and moving on?

Tell me.

Tell me, and if you agree that the greatest show on Earth is what we must do, then message me.

Otherwise comment below as to why you think it shouldn't be so.

After three years of searching and having to leave two bands I can finally say I've found what I was searching for. When it looks like you should quit, that's when you shouldn't. Most people quit, and that's why they'll always be wondering why things didn't work out, or what if they did.

Hey, the climb can get scarier, and it has. When things you desire start to come to life, things get real. You realize the life around you and the fact that you have to take care of it...like a family. The thought of losing becomes a real enemy, and the reality of going to the next phase is right in front of your face.

If its too easy too fast, then you've stayed too long.