This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#222262 by Chippy
Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:28 am
Someone said to me recently. (My Manager). That folks will get bored waiting... :D
I remember a few including my fav PG, saying writing was hard, some of his songs took 10 years to complete :roll:
So what is the typical time for an Album to be written and produced? I'm kinda paranoid now! :shock:

#222266 by jimmydanger
Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 pm
The story I like is how Black Sabbath said it took two days to record their first album, two weeks to record "Paranoid" and two years to record "Master of Reality". It really wasn't two years but it might have seemed like that to them at the time. The point is it takes however long it takes. We started the writing process for our new songs back in March, and just finished recording four songs last week (going to try to add a fifth). That involved six recording sessions, probably another two sessions to mix and master, another week or two to get the art together and another couple of weeks to get disks back from Discmakers.

#222268 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:48 pm
40 years for my first one, 2 years for the second!

Like Jimmy says, 'it takes what it takes'. "People will get bored waiting" - really? Which people? How many times have you heard from anyone (about any band/artist) "oh, I'm bored with him/them, they haven't come up with a new album in a year"?

If you are doing everything yourself (writing, recording, mixing...) and its not your full-time job, you work on things when you can, you rework, you continue.

#222284 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:31 pm
I spent almost 3 years on one CD in the 90s. Started with studio musicians and half-way into it decided to find a band that could play it before finishing. Recorded a different CD right in the middle of it with another band.

My last CD was recorded in 7 hours because I hired studio guys to just play with me "live" and we recorded it on a Monday, mixed and mastered on Tuesday, sent it to manufacturing on Wednesday, and available for downloads on Friday.

Currently working on 2 CDs and a compilation. Started on the first one last February and the second one last month. The second one (12 songs already cut with a band) will be available in November and the first one (cutting 3 songs at a time with a band over months) won't be ready until next spring. That's mainly a result of having all the songs ready for the latter and still writing for the former.

As a Producer, if someone comes to me with all their songs ready and money in hand, I tell them about 3 weeks from start to finish, and if they already know what it should look like, another 2-3 weeks for manufacturing.

Otherwise, it takes what it takes...

#222302 by Jahva
Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:25 pm
As a fan, the sooner the better... I remeber once a year use to be the norm. if you catch a good spark on a song or two you shouldn't make your audience wait too long... Fickle fans out there. So many artists to hear... New material and performaces is all you got. So Get er done. now once you've sold millions upon millions... Then you may take a short break. :P

As the artist... A song a month... Minimum will yield a decent albums worth a year. How long it takes to record, produce, master etc... How well are you prepared?
Good question Chip! 8)

#222321 by Chippy
Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:06 am
It takes what it takes then?
Jahva does make a good point as my manager did too however. Keeping something going while that is going on I suppose.
There's an attention deficit online there is no doubt about it. If you are not seen, you are pretty much forgotten. I've proved this countless times by just sitting and watching.
I started writing mine in about February, and am currently about 7-8 songs in, albeit tuning and honing certain things, but I suppose I am a little concerned frankly.
I've never rushed anything in my life, finding that working away, nibbling this and that, has always delivered better results, but in our modern age?

@Yod. If you are ever in my neck of the woods, hit me up. I guess you are still in Germany?
@Jimmy. Paranoid is a classic, it shows too, that sounds about right to me if you have the money.

Jimmy you are my kinda guy lol! Yep, it takes as long as it takes, well done on getting it done too.

Jahva.... Millions! :shock:

Am I the longest serving Brit on this Forum? :roll:

#222391 by Christopher Holmes
Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:25 pm
Dream Theater wrote "Train of Thought" in 3 weeks and recorded it in 7 months. A lot of their albums are recorded in 6-7 months time. Sometimes shorter.

Recording is a tricky process. Musicians tend to be perfectionists when they get into the studio to record. But I know people who have recorded albums very fast... a matter of a couple weeks. I think it depends on what you want to do.

I've played guest guitar on two albums and worked with people who have done studio work and recorded albums of their own.

My advice from what I have seen: Have a very exact plan for recording. Practice your sh*t beforehand and have your stuff down cold. Know exactly how you're going to do it and the order of instruments to record, and have everything ready before you step foot into a studio. EVEN IF IT IS YOUR OWN STUDIO! Be prepared. Don't meander; don't wander. Have your stuff figured out, written, and planned before you go to recording, so all you have to focus on is performance, not composition.

This way, you're not sitting in the studio doing take after take and burning studio time and money.

#222392 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:32 pm
Chippy wrote:@Yod. If you are ever in my neck of the woods, hit me up. I guess you are still in Germany?:

You're a Brit? your profile says New Jersey.

I left Germany a month ago. Been in the UK, Poland, and a southeast tour through Mississippi, Alabama, Louisianna, and Texas since then.

Headed to California today...about 3 days driving the way I go.

#222420 by Chippy
Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 am
Indeed Yod, Yeah well on BM you can only choose English speaking nations. I didn't see the need to put anything else, since there was (is) nothing else applicable :-D
well good luck to you, remember to pump those tyres up man :D

yod wrote:You're a Brit? your profile says New Jersey.

I left Germany a month ago. Been in the UK, Poland, and a southeast tour through Mississippi, Alabama, Louisianna, and Texas since then.

Headed to California today...about 3 days driving the way I go.

#222426 by jimmydanger
Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 pm
We mixed the new songs last night, I didn't get home until 1am and got back up at 6am for work. Woo hoo! Going on pure adrenalin. I'm super stoked! I will try to post them here later after work. We're doing a one-set audition at a new (for us) club tonight and I need to change strings but I will work on it. Somebody stop me!
#222506 by John Livingston
Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:24 pm
Chippy wrote:Someone said to me recently. (My Manager). That folks will get bored waiting... :D
I remember a few including my fav PG, saying writing was hard, some of his songs took 10 years to complete :roll:
So what is the typical time for an Album to be written and produced? I'm kinda paranoid now! :shock:

There is no typical time. An artist creates something he or she feels. That is something you can't put a deadline on. If you want a real product, you have to wait until it is ready. You can't force it. When you find inspiration it will guide you, and it only depends on how much hard work you want to put into that will decide how long it will take.

Good luck,

~J
#222574 by Chippy
Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:14 am
Agreed Jay.
That might be some time in coming the way things look at the moment.
Be well, thanks for the reply.
Chippy

Jay Summers wrote:There is no typical time. An artist creates something he or she feels. That is something you can't put a deadline on. If you want a real product, you have to wait until it is ready. You can't force it. When you find inspiration it will guide you, and it only depends on how much hard work you want to put into that will decide how long it will take.

Good luck,

~J

#222603 by jimmydanger
Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 am
Hey Ted I just posted "The Route" which is the one that Brion wants to use in his movie. It's about a newspaper boy!