This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#218460 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:59 pm
Let's talk about something music-related again, shall we?

What's your preference for guitar straps?

I've got some nice wide leather ones - used on my Fender acoustic, a Fender one on my Telecaster (with straplocks), and my Epi Dot (also with straplocks).
As 'extra' straps, I've got cloth-woven: Chinese counterfeit Fender strap and a Planet Waves British flag. The Chinese one is short - just barely long enough for me to use with an acoustic. The PW one is decent.
I've got a nylon web one that I used for a while on my ESP LP-clone, but it was terrible, always getting twisted.

Looking at getting a new strap to match my new Taylor a/e, and probably going to go with the Taylor suede one which will match the guitar perfectly, but is a little pricey at $40 (other suede straps are around $30, but they all have some crappy brand name on them).

#218463 by Krul
Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:37 pm
I love my Planet Waves locking straps! I have two. One leather and the other one made out of vinyl. They lock on good and you don't need to drill any holes in your guitar. 8)

#218483 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:53 pm
I haven't paid enough attention to that recently. My bass is heavy - I have a decent strap, pretty wide but I'm going to have to go to leather.

I was disappointed when I got my new P-Bass that the Fender strap they included wasn't long enough for my needs. I was going to put it with the Telecaster for history's sake.

My Stratocaster has a decent strap but slippery. Probably need to replace that too. And my new Dobro (which I can't play worth a damn) has really peculiar needs.

Sane people would share one strap around all their guitars! 8)

Talbot

#218487 by RandyGuitar
Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 am
Take a look on etsy.com there are a ton for REALLY cool handmade ones on there. They are pricey but WOW really sweet

#218495 by Joewillplay
Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:54 am
If it holds my guitar up in place I use it.

#218503 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 pm
RandyGuitar wrote:Take a look on etsy.com there are a ton for REALLY cool handmade ones on there. They are pricey but WOW really sweet

Pricey for sure! If you want/can afford a custom strap, looks like a good source.

I've never tried the PW locking straps - they have a plastic piece that pushes down across the strap button to lock in place, right? I've only seen those on cloth straps.

The Taylor strap buttons are a little different in style than standard ones, and of course you can't use standard Strap Locks on acoustics with the jack on the end pin.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#218505 by Paleopete
Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:08 pm
I've never tried the PW locking straps - they have a plastic piece that pushes down across the strap button to lock in place, right? I've only seen those on cloth straps.

I have one of those, it's nylon weave and I love it. A bit short, but just long enough to work, I use it on my Squier Strat all the time and it works great. Never worry about it falling off. I got it on clearance at a music store in some dinky Arkansas town, $4 i think, should have bought all 5 they had left. Only got one to try it out, next time I went there a couple of weeks later, all gone...

Oh yeah I don't think mine is by Planet Waves but it's been a good one.

I used a leather one for many years, it finally got old and worn and I had to retire it. The leather had started to deteriorate, the slots were wearing out, a peg slot broke one night onstage and I almost dropped a guitar... I have a good leather belt, need to find another one that matches so I can make one.

I hate a guitar strap that slips. I've thrown a couple away because they refused to stay in place. That's one of the good things about leather, it stays put. I also have a couple of the cloth ones with indian looking designs, they work well. Gotta watch those though, the leather ends are usually not heavy duty enough and the slots get worn too long, then guitars like to fall off.

#218506 by gbheil
Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:32 pm
This is my all time favorite. It's very comfortable, the leather tabs have remained tight thus far ( you can always shrink them if need be ) and the fact that Jeanette picked it out for me when I bought this 339 kinda makes it special to me too.
A musician whom has a supportive spouse is blessed I tell you . . . blessed !

[img][img]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm74/sanshouheil/GibsonES339003.jpg[/img][/img]

#218508 by jw123
Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:50 pm
LOL, I just use old nylon ones, put my locks on them and go for it.

#218510 by jimmydanger
Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:45 pm
Back in the 80's I had a rainbow-colored nylon strap that I used with my Hamer. But one day in the 90's someone said "you shouldn't use that strap, don't you know it means gay?" I had never heard that before! Not that there's anything wrong with that lol!

#218515 by jimmydanger
Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:32 pm
Thanks George!!

#218517 by gbheil
Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:53 pm
:wink: :lol:

#218523 by gtZip
Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:37 pm
Strap locks are for inept sissies.

I like a thin leather strap. Flexible, comfortable, and you can lash people with it.

#218557 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 pm
gtZip wrote:Strap locks are for inept sissies.

I like a thin leather strap. Flexible, comfortable, and you can lash people with it.

TMI! We don't want to know what you and your boyfriend do in your bedroom after the lights go out! :lol: