This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#216977 by jimmydanger
Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:59 pm
I've used GHS for decades, the only time they break is if they've been on the guitar too long. If you change your strings regularly breakage is not an issue.

#216979 by gtZip
Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 pm
jimmydanger wrote:I've used GHS for decades, the only time they break is if they've been on the guitar too long. If you change your strings regularly breakage is not an issue.

I seem to recall in one of your semi-recent gig pic postings, that you had broken a string... but maybe it wasn't so recent.
jw has also had a gig posting with broken string as part of the conversation.

It's true, if you change them for every show then you should be good, but I haven't always had that opportunity (or 'made' that opportunity) - so I'd rather not have to worry about it.

It's just been my experience with GHS, and with bandmates who used them, and still use them, that they break way too often.

I'm failry well aware that I'm not going to change anyones minds - just sayin.

#216982 by jimmydanger
Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:15 pm
Ideally you should change strings after every gig but sometimes you have shows back to back and can't get to it. But that's why you should have several guitars on stage ready to go.

#216987 by jw123
Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 pm
LOL, I used to change strings every show, cause I used to tend to really be rough on stirngs and sweat a lot, but over the past 4 years or so, I hardly every change them.

Its funny cause I have broken a string at a gig on the first song with a brand new set, and then again I have played strings til there is just no life left in them, and not break them.

I guess Im not as anal about all of this as I used to be.

Jimmy whenever I clean my guitars I find a little dust on them, from doing harmonics, also I do a lot of slides on the edge of the pick which makes little dents in them. I ussually buy 4-5 bags of picks at a time, and in a typical gig I might use 15-20 of them. Years ago I had some made up with the band name and my name on them, but I settled on the green picks eons ago. Its funny whenever a friend band would play a club the weekend after we did, if the guitarist knew me they would call and say you must have played so-so club a week ago, I would say yea why, they would laugh and say cause I found those damn green picks you use all over the place!

#216999 by jimmydanger
Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:36 am
Well I got a bag of them right here I should send you!

My drummer's friend bought pickguy.com and made me up a big bag of picks for me, I'll take some pics and post later.

#217006 by Slacker G
Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:38 pm
I was doing some work on a 60's SG Custom years ago and I went to the music store and asked for some really cheap strings. I told the owner that I would be taking them on and off the guitar to do pickup work so I didn't want anything expensive. He suggested Martin Darco Electrics. Then he mentioned that another picker used them all the time and said he loved him. I told the owner that was probably because he was so cheap. He said, no, it was the tone that he liked. So I bought several sets.

I put them on the guitar and when I was finished they were still in great condition. The sound reminded me of the Black Diamond strings that I bought in the 60's because I loved the tone so much. To my surprise the Darco strings sounded better than my GHS strings, so I put them on several other guitars. At $1.99 a set I couldn't loose. Every time I went to the music store I bought at least 10 sets until I had about 50 sets.

I love the tone, and I still use them on all my guitars. Not for everyone, but I doubt that I will switch strings any time soon. I'm still sold on the tone that I get from them.

#217008 by jw123
Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 pm
Slacker if something aint broke dont try to fix it!

#217024 by Peg Lautny
Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:37 pm
Uh oh, a thread about strings!!! Everyone run! Can threads about favorite picks be far behind???

J/K I'll talk gear anywhere---anytime. 8)

#217027 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:24 pm
Peg Lautny wrote:Uh oh, a thread about strings!!! Everyone run! Can threads about favorite picks be far behind???

J/K I'll talk gear anywhere---anytime. 8)

We already started talking about picks! Jimmie and I both use Fender Heavy, JW uses those green ones ...

Now, what about guitar straps? Leather, suede, woven, cloth? Straplocks or not? 8)

#217052 by Slacker G
Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm
Dunlop .43 nylon.

#217054 by Planetguy
Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:53 pm
Slacker G wrote:Dunlop .43 nylon.

wow...that's seriously thin!

being first and foremost a bassplayer (let the jokes begin) i mostly play fingerstyle on gtr, but when i do use a pick on gtr or mandolin it's gotta be at least 2.0 or bigger.

my go to pick is a 3.0 Dunlop Big Stubby. been using some big triangle 3.0 V Picks that i like a lot and these days my fave is a John Pearse Fast Turtle 2.5 (they're kinda expensive tho....around $10).

#217058 by Slacker G
Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:32 pm
Planetguy wrote:
Slacker G wrote:Dunlop .43 nylon.

wow...that's seriously thin!

being first and foremost a bassplayer (let the jokes begin) i mostly play fingerstyle on gtr, but when i do use a pick on gtr or mandolin it's gotta be at least 2.0 or bigger.

my go to pick is a 3.0 Dunlop Big Stubby. been using some big triangle 3.0 V Picks that i like a lot and these days my fave is a John Pearse Fast Turtle 2.5 (they're kinda expensive tho....around $10).

Yes, it is really thin. They have a thinner one but that bends when there is a draft in the room. I use this thickness because it has an attack response sounding about the same as when I pick with my finger nail. I hold it as close to the tip as possible when I use one.

#217059 by jw123
Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:18 pm
Slacker I was never able to play thin picks, but then I started on bass and used to use heavy nylon picks.

Someone mentioned strap locks, Im not sure of the brand, but i have them on all of my gigging guitars, Les Pauls are heavier, plus I had seen a few guys drop them and break the necks, so Ive been using locks for years.

Straps most of mine are nylon, black.

I also have some holders on them for my wireless.

I always have carried spares of everything with me, for gigs cause you just never know, I have a cord close by in case my wireless goes down.

I even carry either a small amp, or a preamp in case my amp went down, which has happened a couple of times thru the years.

#217062 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 pm
When I had access to a good micrometer I never thought of measuring pick thickness, but now I go to search to see what the standard Fender Heavy is, and I see numbers from 0.85mm to 1.06mm?