This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#172158 by Mydogisdead
Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 pm
got tired of local people flaking out so went into engneering and took the role of support then somehow I came back to writing again and with the things I know I use studio time to make my own tunes. With the occasional live show its not so bad. But yeah its hard to find people...

#174107 by classictone
Fri May 25, 2012 1:12 pm
Hey Teaburst, let's talk. (212)430-1719.

Mike

#174109 by Slacker G
Fri May 25, 2012 2:48 pm
It is always a bit difficult to find musicians with the same goals that you have. ( Meaning any musician has). On the other hand, it is even harder to find them with the same skill levels and creativity. But it can happen if you search long and hard enough. Good luck.

#216518 by 7Fathom
Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 pm
I had an audition for a band off of Craigslist a week ago and they had me come in to their rehearsal space and sing over two songs they wrote. But I had just heard the songs THAT day and I had to improvise both melody and lyrics! Is this fair?

And as much as I would love to believe in the old ways of approaching other musicians, it's just so tough these days. I'm only 23, but I'm about to throw in the towel here in NYC.
Nobody seems to want to progress musically.. it's either computer-chained techno DJ's or obnoxiously bluesy, wannabe rockabillies. No-one who has really properly digested their influences...

It's best to look to your friends, but after high school/college, you'll see that social circle shrink unless you act fast... i.e. start your band ASAP!

#216527 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:21 pm
"Is this fair?"

Answer is yes. Two songs? Ok. It's work but it's what we do. If you play with original acts that is how it works.

The real question is, "Did you pull it off?!"

I suspect you had some difficulties but got the job done. So hell yeah - good for you! 8)

Talbot

#216771 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:42 pm
Updates on my continued search ...

Came across a very talented acoustic guy through a New Hampshire FB group (Tammy had messaged him a while back) and then checked out his reverbnation site, great voice and solid acoustic ability. His style MAY not coincide with mine, though. He's supposed to meet me at an open mic in Nashua next week to talk.

An ad on CL today was exactly what I'm looking for, although the guy professed that he let his website expire as he hasn't been playing for a few months since his music partner moved, so I can't verify his true ability (I'll ask if there any youtubes). Then I got to the end of the ad and he stated he wanted someone between 26-38 years old. :roll: With all the requirements he is dictating, he's unlikely to get any qualified responses. (From the few answers I get from my ad - no age requirements - I suspect he may get NO answers), so I'll carefully prepare a response today, along with my 200+ song list, and leave off my age until the very end.

#216788 by Peg Lautny
Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:41 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Updates on my continued search ...

Came across a very talented acoustic guy through a New Hampshire FB group (Tammy had messaged him a while back) and then checked out his reverbnation site, great voice and solid acoustic ability. His style MAY not coincide with mine, though. He's supposed to meet me at an open mic in Nashua next week to talk.

An ad on CL today was exactly what I'm looking for, although the guy professed that he let his website expire as he hasn't been playing for a few months since his music partner moved, so I can't verify his true ability (I'll ask if there any youtubes). Then I got to the end of the ad and he stated he wanted someone between 26-38 years old. :roll: With all the requirements he is dictating, he's unlikely to get any qualified responses. (From the few answers I get from my ad - no age requirements - I suspect he may get NO answers), so I'll carefully prepare a response today, along with my 200+ song list, and leave off my age until the very end.

I have a zero tolerance rule when it comes to age requirements. When I see that this of importance to someone-that tells me everything I need to know about their priorities. :roll:

Good luck with the quest.

#216789 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 pm
Peg Lautny wrote: I have a zero tolerance rule when it comes to age requirements. When I see that this of importance to someone-that tells me everything I need to know about their priorities. :roll:

Normally I'd be in 100% agreement but this guy seems to have his sh*t together, claims to be able to book a large amount of gigs with good pay, so its worth exploring. Some people need to be shown that they need to get past their age prejudices.
When I was 17 I never thought I'd reach 30, now here we are 40 years later ... :wink:

#216791 by gbheil
Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 pm
Peg Lautny wrote:

I have a zero tolerance rule when it comes to age requirements. When I see that this of importance to someone-that tells me everything I need to know about their priorities. :roll:

Good luck with the quest.

Agreed.

#216826 by ronnie521393
Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:17 am
7Fathom wrote:I had an audition for a band off of Craigslist a week ago and they had me come in to their rehearsal space and sing over two songs they wrote. But I had just heard the songs THAT day and I had to improvise both melody and lyrics! Is this fair?

And as much as I would love to believe in the old ways of approaching other musicians, it's just so tough these days. I'm only 23, but I'm about to throw in the towel here in NYC.
Nobody seems to want to progress musically.. it's either computer-chained techno DJ's or obnoxiously bluesy, wannabe rockabillies. No-one who has really properly digested their influences...

It's best to look to your friends, but after high school/college, you'll see that social circle shrink unless you act fast... i.e. start your band ASAP!

Listened to your stuff and sounds awesome. WOuld be interested it to jam sometime if youre still looking.

#216867 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Unfruitful weekend in this regard.

The open mic this week when I was going to meet one guy got moved to a night I cannot make, and from his response, does not sound like he really is interested in doing something together.

No response from the guy who advertised - I'll give him another couple of days (he could be away) and then send a last short note.

Had an email response to my ad, but I asked the guy twice if he had any music online so that I could preaudition him, and instead he asked me for my song list (without providing one of his own).

Going to try a new open mic this week, little further away, maybe expanding my 'network', things will go better.

#216955 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:48 pm
3 CL responses last night.
1) Guy who had a web site showing he'd played in 20 countries, blaa blaa, all metal music, reverbnation showing he was in New Hersey. He answered my reply saying he had moved (didn't say where) and he can 'play anything' and it was 'all cool' - whatever that means.

2) 2nd reply from an older guy outside Boston, only online stuff was 2 videos in his bedroom with a webcam. Don't think he has enough experience to be what I'm lookng for but I suggested he meet me at an open mic to talk/maybe do a song or 2 together.

3) A guy in New Hampshire with a very good voice, said he has songs on iTunes, but I couldn't find any, found 3 bandcamp/outube songs, no live performances. Sent him a song list, will see if he responds back.

#217736 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:33 pm
So 1 guy contacts me 2 weeks ago, called me one time, says he will call again, but hasn't.
Good voice, from the limited songs I heard on youtube/bandcamp, but he's an independent electrician working too much, doubt he can commit to a regular practice program at this point (I had the same problem with another guy I found through this place about a year and a half ago).

Another guy contacts me, had a few youtubes with a current band, 3-piece, he plays bass, saying he'd like to do 'lower volume' stuff, but his current band isn't interested.
Sent him my 175+ song list - a bunch of songs on the list were ones he did with his band - and he replies that my list might be too 'top 40/pop' for his preference. I asked him if HE had a list of songs that he was thinking of ... no reply yet.