This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#215838 by Michael Marsden
Fri May 31, 2013 12:48 am
Every girl band mentioned so far started in the 70's and 80's. Today they are all in their 50's and a couple of them are dead. So what's new? Where's the new stuff? Have they all gone girly-girl or what?

I think maybe the best girl rockers have a good dose of testosterone in them- or so it seems. That tall blond in the Bangles looked like she wanted to kick the sh*t of somebody- when she wasn't smiling anyway. :(

#215858 by Deadguitars
Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm
Female energy is powerful
Both of my bands feature female vocals
I think the American Idol thing has the young chicks attention -not playing in a band or whatever
.02$

" jam out with your clam out "

:)
#215865 by Michael Marsden
Fri May 31, 2013 6:34 pm
That's a possibility of why there are not many around, but really, how many people make it to American Idol? As stylish as that is right now I think those talent shows are poisoning the music business- that's my opinion anyway.

Still you may have something there- as far as those kind of shows having an influence. Probably warping the perspective of the younger generation music wise. Actually those kind of shows make me ill.

#215891 by BarefootBassist
Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:10 pm
I would have to agree with you there; those types of shows may have helped some people get their start, but seem to be more geared towards 15 minutes of fame and public humiliation for the sake of entertainment.

One of my daughters auditioned for American Idol; she walked away in disgust after reading over the contracts that stated that the producers can make up any back-story they want for you.

#215893 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:35 pm
lunaticFringe

I was in a band once where the agent found our biographies too boring. I soon found out that I'd been raised as on orphan on the docks in New Orleans and grew up playing blues in black clubs near the waterfront. I'm white btw but you'd never have guessed it from the bio! 8)

Talbot
#215926 by Rock Bass
Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:27 pm
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/absolutelyaudrey/4226362142/][/img]
Last edited by Rock Bass on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

#215953 by Michael Marsden
Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:14 pm
The Donnas are probably the longest lasting all girl band I can think of- something like 20 years now. I like some of their stuff but I don't think they ever had a top 20 hit- correct me if I'm wrong.