This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#214589 by blacksting2
Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 am
Is there anyone out there who wants to play the musical part of George in a musical tribute Beatles group.
We do not look like nor dress like the Beatles but we do use the same equipment to get as close to the Beatles sound as possible.
This group will be done much differently than others. Here is your dream chance to reproduce the sounds and vocals of one of the best groups in history, US, just kidding, the Beatles.
If you dont love the music, if you have a huge ego, if you are hard to get along with, dont bother - no matter how good you are.
Please respond to [email protected]

#214595 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 am
Good luck! The Beatles tribute band I was in broke up a few months ago because we couldn't get another lead singer to fit with us. Trying to do it as a 4-piece is even tougher.

#214600 by jimmydanger
Tue May 14, 2013 12:43 pm
I have a difficult time wrapping my head around being a tribute act. I have tried it in the past (very briefly, first a Hendrix tribute and then a Zeppelin tribute). After a couple of gigs it was like, so what? Even stranger are the tribute groups of bands that are still together and touring! WTF!

#214663 by blacksting2
Wed May 15, 2013 3:17 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:Good luck! The Beatles tribute band I was in broke up a few months ago because we couldn't get another lead singer to fit with us. Trying to do it as a 4-piece is even tougher.

We have a great Paul and I am a very good John. You would think a good guitarist with some singing ability could do the job.

#214664 by blacksting2
Wed May 15, 2013 3:20 am
jimmydanger wrote:I have a difficult time wrapping my head around being a tribute act. I have tried it in the past (very briefly, first a Hendrix tribute and then a Zeppelin tribute). After a couple of gigs it was like, so what? Even stranger are the tribute groups of bands that are still together and touring! WTF!

I get your reaction, especially if the players are ego driven. To perform the music you really enjoy, love, are challenged by, and it provides others great listening pleasure is all that is needed.
Obviously, the success of other tribute bands is proof enough. We don't try to look, act or be like the Beatles, we just want to reproduce the music as closely as possible.

#214681 by jimmydanger
Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 pm
I get all that but I have trouble tolerating anyone's music for more than hour or so. To have to play one group's music all night, every night would send me over the edge. I have a cover band but I'm doing forty different bands, enough variety to keep me awake. Like I said I've done it and it was like eating a mayo sandwich.

#214691 by MikeTalbot
Wed May 15, 2013 2:30 pm
It wouldn't work for me but I can see where it would be fun.

Plus Tribute acts are sort of a farm team for the big guys - that's where Judas Priest got Ripper Owens when Rob Halford left.

Talbot

#214692 by jimmydanger
Wed May 15, 2013 2:45 pm
Yeah Mike maybe the Beatles will reform. Or maybe even Elvis.

#214694 by Deadguitars
Wed May 15, 2013 3:23 pm
jimmydanger wrote:I get all that but I have trouble tolerating anyone's music for more than hour or so. To have to play one group's music all night, every night would send me over the edge. I have a cover band but I'm doing forty different bands, enough variety to keep me awake. Like I said I've done it and it was like eating a mayo sandwich.

Mayo is watching guys play top 40 and be human Jukebox's - not as bad as DJ's but almost

:)

Tribute bands have a passion for what they do and a love of whatever it is they are doing .... Cover bands ... its just biz
.02$
Last edited by Deadguitars on Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#214695 by jimmydanger
Wed May 15, 2013 3:34 pm
And tribute bands aren't just a biz? Come on get real. All bands that cover other people's music are businesses, even if you do it with love and passion. We are the furthest thing away from Top 40 you can get. We only play songs we love, no compromises. But at the end of the day it's still all about getting paid.

#214697 by Deadguitars
Wed May 15, 2013 3:47 pm
jimmydanger wrote:And tribute bands aren't just a biz? Come on get real. All bands that cover other people's music are businesses, even if you do it with love and passion. We are the furthest thing away from Top 40 you can get. We only play songs we love, no compromises. But at the end of the day it's still all about getting paid.

I never said YOU were Top 40

You guys rearrange tunes and make them your own

I have never heard of half the tunes you do

And its not ALL about the money - I have genuine love of playing the G.D.
I'm also in a psychedelic hard rock band doing originals - all my itch's are getting scratched ... thats way more important to me than the money
:)

#214699 by jimmydanger
Wed May 15, 2013 3:54 pm
Yes doing original music is a whole other scene, even though we're even getting paid to do that now (you gotta play a lot of free shows before you get to that point). But the cover band is all about getting paid, even though we love the music we're doing. We will never do "Sweet Home Alabama" just because it's expected; we will play songs that we love and you've heard before, and maybe not for a long time, but will rock you regardless. If you play good music they will come!