This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#201129 by devin509498
Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:44 am
hi I'm Devin from Bronx, New York... nice to meet everyone who is reading this but,

I don't know. its a little discouraging because I really want to get out there and start singing something but I don't know where to go nor do I have material or the know how on where to get material. if anyone knows anyway I can get out there somewhere and get with musicians and create songs and perform places that would be doing a whole lot for me right now. I have the drive I just need material. I cant sing other peoples songs because my voice is really my own. I don't have the kind of range made for most popular music. i'm a deep baritone-ish with some tenor in there type of singer, if anyone knows anything about groups being put together I can definitely sing back up. that's really where I see myself but I cant seem to find anyone looking for back up singers. i'll audition tomorrow if anyone can direct to someone who needs a back up singer lol. I just want to sing on stage seriously and learn from people who are doing it. thanks for everything guys.

#201130 by DainNobody
Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:52 am
maybe a barbershop quartet would fit your style if you have as you say too baritone of voice..as large as The Bronx is there should be an open mic night available to sing

#201131 by devin509498
Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:59 am
Dane Ellis Allen wrote:maybe a barbershop quartet would fit your style if you have as you say too baritone of voice..as large as The Bronx is there should be an open mic night available to sing

i'll keep looking for an open mic

but im really interesting in getting with other singers and writing original songs. open mics are great but i'd be more comfortable singing my own songs

#201157 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 pm
You might want to start by taking singing lessons. If you can't sing other people's songs, standards, etc, there's not much call for a 'backup singer who can only do originals'.

#201167 by Planetguy
Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 pm
i'm from queens ny and lived my first 22 yrs on the planet there....i currently call mid missouri home.

in addition to checking out open mics i'd say hit as many music stores as possible to check out the bulletin boards.....maybe put up some ads there yourself. maybe an ad in the Village Voice musical classifieds..or any other publications that have a "music classifieds" section.

good luck and welcome to bandmix.

#201170 by gbheil
Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm
This may sound harsh but I'm saying this with your best interests in mind.

You have placed restrictions on yourself based on what experience ?
We all think we can't until we do.
This is what I've had to do as a guitarist and you will need to do as a vocalist.

Drop the BS excuses, get out there and SING.

Or you could take up needle point ?

#210480 by devin509498
Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 am
sanshouheil wrote:This may sound harsh but I'm saying this with your best interests in mind.

You have placed restrictions on yourself based on what experience ?
We all think we can't until we do.
This is what I've had to do as a guitarist and you will need to do as a vocalist.

Drop the BS excuses, get out there and SING.

Or you could take up needle point ?

no I get you ... my only thing is get out where? x-factor is coming up in april so im gonna do that. hey thanks for your input tho!! it means a lot!!!!

#210481 by devin509498
Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:08 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:You might want to start by taking singing lessons. If you can't sing other people's songs, standards, etc, there's not much call for a 'backup singer who can only do originals'.

true singing lesssons would be great if I could afford them but hey thanks

#210489 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 pm
What have you been doing in the 2-1/2 months since you first posted? You've got to be able to sing ANYTHING to get ahead. A bunch of singers can't get together and write original songs without people there to play the instruments. Unless you of of course are talking about rap, where you are just chanting over other peoples' rhythms. :roll:

#210490 by jw123
Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 pm
Devin if you want to sing then sing, I dont understand your issue, I wouldnt just try to get on the X-Factor, cause it doesnt sound like you have a clue about singing other than you want to sing. You may be one of those auditions that they make fun of.

Try Karaoke, sure its cheesy, but it gives you a chance to sing.

Sing in a church choir, if you want to harmonize it would be a great place to do that.

As far as open mics, you have to know some songs to be able and get up and sing with others.

Good Luck

#210518 by Gary Somerville
Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 pm
Bro, just keep pushing. Open Mics. Pages like this. Go to gigs where musicians are playing the kind of music you like and start shaking hands during there breaks.. Practice, practice, practice... Practice, Practice, Practice...
Church groups, in California there are publications like recycler which have musicians wanted ads etc etc etc. Post its on your local music store bulletin boards if they have them.

Write songs if thats what you want. Then see if you can find a buddy who plays guitar or Keys and see whether he'll collaborate. With practice comes ability.

There are a million ways to make a start. ALL REQUIRE MORE EFFORT THEN JUST SAYING I WANT TO DO IT. All require perseverance. None of us started out experts in the field. Very few got handed careers either. Make an artform out of getting to know musicians, and any other contacts that could put you in the right place at the right time.. USE YOUR IMAGINATION, coupled with action. Nothing happens until you try.
Above all, have fun, it's contagious. Theres a saying that its "not how good you are, its how good you are to work with that counts most."

Practice, practice, practice... Did I say that already??? Ok

#210524 by KLUGMO
Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:41 pm
Hey man I know what yer sayin. Let me tell you whats real. Whats real is when
you stand up and sing ANYWHERE you got to be the voice in the room
that turns heads. You seen that person before. When people lean over to the
person next to them and wisper "he's good". Thats who you have to be
because if you aren't, you blend in with the mediocre. Sharpen your skills by
going where you dont want to go vocally. I mean do what the guys on the radio are doin. Pay Attention "Vocal Acrobatics" and proper placement of them within a song.
You know what I'm talking about. Use the radio as your teacher. I heard your Diamonds.
You got skills, just not enough and not refined. Dont worry about originals.
Find a group of popular songs that you can sing better than the original.
Then maybe when you step in with some band you can make that all important
first impression that you want. They wont know your originals.

Good Luck DEV.

P.S. You really dont need anyones help if you really want to sing.[/b]

#210531 by MikeTalbot
Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:28 pm
Devin

Do you play any instruments? That can be helpful but not absolutely necessary.

I'm a crappy singer but I'm really pushing it so I can teach other people how I want my songs performed. I sing in the car, the shower, the basement etc. I was horrified when a neighbor lady asked me how I was able to sing with no musical accompaniment. (I didn't think anyone could hear me). I was actually playing guitar with headphones.

However good you are, finding other people to play with will make you better and push you forward.

I hope you are recording your stuff, even if it's on a junk recorder. Unless you can write musical scores you end up forgetting changes and such.

The key always, is not to be an aspiring singer. But to think every morning when you wake up, "I AM a singer" Go out there and sing with guys who are much better than you. Grow a thick skin and learn to relish criticism.

And keep plugging!

Good luck

Talbot

#210775 by thealmightygetdown
Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:50 am
Man, if you lived near Cincinnati we could have used you! We need backing vocalists bad.

I hear you on not being able to afford singing lessons, check this guy out, he's a great teacher and he's crazy and loving enough to be free:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricArceneaux

I've learned a lot, but he always shows me something new that takes me up a notch. He's a true hero.

Save some $$ and get an acoustic guitar if you can, it is a great portable way to accompany your singing and an avenue for you to start writing songs. Which can lead you to musicians. I started out just wanting to write some songs and record them and my music attracted 7 dedicated players who are sweating right beside me as we shoot for being able to make music for a living. Here is some of what we have so far:

https://soundcloud.com/thealmightygetdown

You can grab this and make it yours too, don't think about tomorrow too much, write however you can and keep looking for people. There are people out there looking for someone dedicated and passionate like yourself. Hit me up on Facebook if you want to talk.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAlmightyGetDown

#210776 by thealmightygetdown
Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:57 am
Lol at the people who posted without first listening to Devin sing. He has a great voice and some of you wouldn't have typed what you did if you had heard him first. Everything is right around the corner on the internet you lazy %$@ so and so's!!