This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#20719 by Brasso
Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:22 pm
Hello All
I'm a guitarist playing in a covers band in the UK and we want to be able to stray a little towards some more 'dance' inspired music now and again. I have a Yamaha PSR 550 keyboard which I play a little and want to be able to create some simple looped backing sounds using mainly drums and keyboard. The PSR is too limied to let me create looped tracks so I was thinking of supplementing with say a Roland Groovebox.
Forgive the question but can I create such tracks via the groovebox and then use them for live playback ?
All help appreciated !
Dave

#20737 by Irminsul
Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:30 pm
I have had two Grooveboxes, and still retain a Roland JX-305 (that's basically the Groovebox with a keyboard attached). They are excellent machines and yes they can do what you want. You can create multitracked loops of a fairly long length in the "User" area of the machine, and save them. Get an expansion card and of course you can save more.

I'd say go with the Roland.

#20740 by Brasso
Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 pm
Many tnx Irminsul.....as someone who only ha slimited ability with keyboards, should I be expecting to create keyboard tracks on the PSR, downloading to the Groovebox and then adding drums etc ? Is that how this works ? Or does the PSR become the keyboard for the Groovebox ? If so do you know what I should look out for in terms of connectivity ?
Tnx again

#20779 by Irminsul
Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:24 am
MIDI connect your PSR to the Groovebox (Groovebox the slave) and you should have more sounds than you can handle.

PSR MIDI OUT -> MIDI IN Groovebox.