This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#204824 by Drummer Russ
Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 pm
I am a drummer from St. Louis just getting back into the music scene after years of absence. I am hoping this thread can become a place where other St. Louis musicians can interact about the areas music scene.
#204825 by Drummer Russ
Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:56 pm
Having not yet played out in the St. Louis area I am wondering how many of the local (small to medium bar/clubs) venues have their own sound equipment. Additionally how many of the ones that do provide a sound system also supply drum mics? Any comments would be appreciated.

Drummer-Russ
#209384 by Drummer Russ
Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 pm
What venues around the area support original music bands? I understand Salvatores in St. Charles does. Any body know of others?

#209385 by Jahva
Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:32 pm
Hey Russ
Sorry I'm not in the SL area but I would suggest to try the local music rag or on-line ads. Maybe get out to some local venues and meet real folks that might be able to assist you in your search.
Good Luck to you.

#209565 by Drummer Russ
Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:52 pm
Thanks Jahva. I have heard of a couple but I am hoping this thread generates some discussion among St. Louis musicians in general and specifically about orignal music venues.

I have benefitted from a number of your posts in the past so I appreciate your input.

This is my first foray into original music so it is new to me. A couple of band mates have been involved in original stuff in the past, though it was some years ago. It is tough to find places that support new bands that play original music.

#209566 by jimmydanger
Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:43 pm
In every music scene there are two types of venues, those which support local original music and those that don't. Your first task is to get out and visit all of the clubs that offer original music. Try to befriend the bands and get to know the people in the scene. As was mentioned it is very competitive so you must not only write and record great music, you must network with people in the industry and grow a fan base. When you do get to perform make it an event, and get as many people to come as possible. One way to achieve that is to record a great CD (or DVD) and distribute (give away) as many as you can. Don't worry about trying to recuperate your costs, you most likely won't. But when you give away the CD, get the person's email address and use it! Good luck.

#209567 by Drummer Russ
Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:47 pm
Good input Jimmy. We do plan on recording songs and posting on reverbnation etc to try to develop some interest. I like the CD idea and e-mail too.

#209588 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:54 pm
Russ, as you are looking for a band, you really need to do some work! Networking, as already mentioned is a big part. You can search the BM profiles for people in your area, use Craigslist, etc.
Although there are many venues that have their own PA system, drummers are typically expected to bring their own mics and stands/clips - even the best venue is unlikely to have more than a rudimentary set of mics for drums.

#209593 by Drummer Russ
Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 pm
Thanks Mike. Yes I am using BM, local classified, CL etc. I am finding that the only places that have mics already are the ones that have an open mic like arrangment. I have been going to see bands each weekend to get an idea of how things are done these days. My experience is in a different state and many years ago.

I currently am working with a band on original music but I doubt that will be the only thing I get involved in.

#209665 by fisherman bob
Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 pm
Personally I never would give away any CD. Especially if it's good. Second, you keep mentioning drum mics. Why don't you buy your own or barter for them. Third, get with some muscians who already have a PA. A lot of places don't have a PA. IF you're ready to gig and get a job offer at a place without a PA are you going to turn it down?
As far as networking that's if you have the time and are able to do it.
I hope for your sake St.Louis has a better music scene than Kansas City does....

#209673 by Drummer Russ
Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:27 pm
Thanks for the response Bob. I don't have an issue with buying my own mics. It is a matter of priority. I have a lot of things I would like to buy.

One of the members of my band thought that most places we would play, which are places that support original music, often have a "house" or "host" band or house equipment. He was saying he did not think I needed to buy my own mics. I wanted to see if I could get some responses from st louis areas musicians to help me get a better read on it beyond my own observations. I am going to at least one venue every weekend to see how things work to verify for myself.

BTW we do have our own PA system. If we did get a gig and I needed my own mics I would buy them right away and not turn down the gig.

#209675 by jimmydanger
Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm
fisherman bob wrote:Personally I never would give away any CD. Especially if it's good. Second, you keep mentioning drum mics. Why don't you buy your own or barter for them. Third, get with some muscians who already have a PA. A lot of places don't have a PA. IF you're ready to gig and get a job offer at a place without a PA are you going to turn it down?
As far as networking that's if you have the time and are able to do it.
I hope for your sake St.Louis has a better music scene than Kansas City does....

A CD is a loss leader, you take a loss on the initial transaction, but it helps build your fan base. Even if you sell your CD at $5 or $10 chances are you will not recup what it cost you to make it (you would have to print and sell thousands of copies). Remember, you're not at a gig to make side cash or sell CDs but to build your fan base.

Networking is not something you do if you have the time; it is essential to building the band. If you can't make it to other band's shows and use social media build a buzz about your band you will fail. Plain and simple.

Regarding a PA, you have to have one to rehearse but not necessarily to gig. Sure some places will expect you to bring it, but more and more venues are choosing to buy or rent the PA (and soundman). You can pick and choose where you want to gig based on your circumstances. We have a PA for rehearsal, but we could use it in a small to medium size room if we had to. But we prefer to play at places that have this service provided.

#209712 by Jahva
Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 pm
Hey Russ there's a ton of good info on this site from some really talented experienced regulars here. The music threads are worth the read whether you're looking to gig, record at home or just want some input on a song. Well worth the price of admission. 8)

#209775 by Drummer Russ
Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 pm
I agree Jahva. I haven't posted too much yet but I have benefitted from just reading. I did not use the forum too much for the first few months. Thanks.