This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#189208 by JCP61
Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 am
aiki_mcr wrote:Sure, I've seen the problem with guitarists who assume that all bass players are just frustrated guitarists in bands of all genres. Still, I think it's a little more prevalent in metal. I have a whole list of theories about why this is, but I suspect they're all B.S. and it's just the way things are.

As for metal vs. hair metal: these are related, not same. Hair metal is really just pop music with a hard rock sensibility. Oddly enough, this is something that works. I can't say that I like all hair metal, but there's a lot of it I do. I just can't see doing it as an exclusive thing anymore than I'd want to do exclusively pop, country or disco.

Not really trying to bust your balls, but I just don't understand why people try to change what others are into.
now on your player you have the late 70's and 80's post punk radio rock, almost exclusively, you're way too old to play metal and be taken seriously,
obviously you're a competent bass player, if you want to be a rocker you are destined to be irrelevant, like the music that you are best at.
why do you want to join a band where everyone is 20 years younger than you?
if you are a band leader then act your age and start a band.
forget high school it's way over.

#189245 by Starfish Scott
Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:19 am
aiki_mcr wrote:Sure, I've seen the problem with guitarists who assume that all bass players are just frustrated guitarists in bands of all genres. Still, I think it's a little more prevalent in metal. I have a whole list of theories about why this is, but I suspect they're all B.S. and it's just the way things are.

As for metal vs. hair metal: these are related, not same. Hair metal is really just pop music with a hard rock sensibility. Oddly enough, this is something that works. I can't say that I like all hair metal, but there's a lot of it I do. I just can't see doing it as an exclusive thing anymore than I'd want to do exclusively pop, country or disco.

OMG I can't believe you played TORN.

I feel suicidal.. LMAO I want to drink poison/bleach/Draino/gasoline/nuclear waste and light myself on fire..under a black light...during a fireworks display..covered in florescent paint that is NOT water soluble.

Natalie Imbruglia is plain awful. I think I feel a migraine coming on.

#189283 by aiki_mcr
Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:07 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:OMG I can't believe you played TORN.

At the time it was the hottest thing on the planet. I doubt I'd play it now. I don't expect variety/dance bands will be playing much Kesha in twenty years, either, but she's one of the hot artists to cover right now.

Sorry to have upset you. :twisted: :twisted:

#189288 by aiki_mcr
Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:57 pm
JCP61 wrote:Not really trying to bust your balls

Really? Your posts on this thread contradict that statement pretty clearly.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about the music they want to play. I'm just observing - yet again - a real disconnect in what bands want and what a lot of bass players want.

But, okay, what prompted this was that I put an ad up on Craigslist where I included links to the my Bandmix page and my page at allnightmusic.com. I also included some words in the ad about what kind of music I was looking to play. I don't think I could be clearer. From that, I feel like it should be pretty obvious that I'm not a metal guy.

I still got several metal bands* responding to my ad hoping I would be willing to fill in their position for a bass player. The responses I got (this time) were not people I would describe as clueless. Desperate would be a better word. They have been looking for so long with so little luck that they are pretty much responding to any ad with the words "Bass Player Available" anywhere in the ad. I don't blame them, but I also think I understand the problem they're having finding people.

The thing is, I've tried to start a band and I've had something of the same problem. I can't seem to find people who meet the following criteria:

1. They want to play the music.
2. They are up to playing the music.
3. They are not already in a band.

I've tried settling for people who were almost good enough and it hasn't worked out well. So, I'm done. I'll keep looking until I find a band who are up to the standards I need, who want to do the music and want to play out.

As for being a rocker, well, did you actually look at the list of songs I currently play? Or the list of genres I'm interested in? I don't think I would describe Lady Gaga or Katy Perry as "rockers".

*A few of these metal bands were groups of fifty-somethings. I personally know some guys in their forties having a fair amount of success with their metal band. Age does change the music you want to do, but it doesn't necessarily change everything.

#189338 by JCP61
Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:36 pm
aiki_mcr wrote:

Really? Your posts on this thread contradict that statement pretty clearly.

ok so busted you balls a lil bit

aiki_mcr wrote: I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about the music they want to play. I'm just observing - yet again - a real disconnect in what bands want and what a lot of bass players want.

I find that most bass players are pretty competent, mostly because they are stable, that's an important pat of the job. it only when they want to lead the band do they become unstable.
most bands want a bass that is stable and stabilizing and to talk as little as possible, just be stabilizing, that's it period.

aiki_mcr wrote:But, okay, what prompted this was that I put an ad up on Craigslist where I included links to the my Bandmix page and my page at allnightmusic.com. I also included some words in the ad about what kind of music I was looking to play. I don't think I could be clearer. From that, I feel like it should be pretty obvious that I'm not a metal guy.

then say this to the people who respond!
hey I don't want to do metal it a crappy gig for a bass player.
you'll feel better as well.

aiki_mcr wrote:The thing is, I've tried to start a band and I've had something of the same problem. I can't seem to find people who meet the following criteria:

1. They want to play the music.
2. They are up to playing the music.
3. They are not already in a band.

I've tried settling for people who were almost good enough and it hasn't worked out well. So, I'm done. I'll keep looking until I find a band who are up to the standards I need, who want to do the music and want to play out.

welcome to band leadership 101

aiki_mcr wrote:As for being a rocker, well, did you actually look at the list of songs I currently play? Or the list of genres I'm interested in? I don't think I would describe Lady Gaga or Katy Perry as "rockers".

try telling that to lady gaga or katie perry
aiki_mcr wrote:*A few of these metal bands were groups of fifty-somethings. I personally know some guys in their forties having a fair amount of success with their metal band. Age does change the music you want to do, but it doesn't necessarily change everything.

yea but you still got to get on stage with some crazy who still lives with his mom has really long hair but completely bald on top,
but he's styling to make it look as if he intended it to be that way!
:lol:

all I can say hon, it good luck
but I'm not letting the bass player run the show.
they always mistake consistency and stability for creativity.

#189339 by jw123
Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 pm
Aiki, first off there are probably 20 times as many metal bands out there as all other genres combined, thats why they continue to contact you.

What I would do if I were you, would be to find a band that is playing the style you want to play. If you are wanting to play in clubs for instance, then get out there and go see bands that you like, get to know them, tell them you are available if thier guy quits, get to know thier bass player, he may know other bands that need a bass player, even make up some little cards with all your contact info on them and hand them to bands that you like, and tell them if they know of another band in thier style to forward your info.

I spent a lot of time running ads on CL, and honestly I didnt do any good with it. I dont think people sitting around on there computor trying to find band members are really that serious, if you are serious get out in the trenchs where the music is being played that you want to play, and let people know you are out there.

Im probably more metal than anything, but I do play a variety of what I like to think as classic metal, or classic hard rock, I dont care for blues that much, not that I wont play it, but after two or three songs they get repetitive to me, of course im sure the people who see my band would say the same thing about the genre we play, but what we do works for us, so thats all that matter, having a good time playing music with my bros and getting paid to boot.

Good Luck

#189343 by JCP61
Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 pm
post script,,
you must qualify my comments though, I think this woman is a rocker.

http://www.valentinalisitsa.com/

and if you want a real orgasm skip ahead to the 7th vid
the one marked Rachmaninoff at the top
it's the fuzzy one from several years back.
Damn it is totally from another world!!!

#189351 by aiki_mcr
Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:28 pm
jw123 wrote:Aiki, first off there are probably 20 times as many metal bands out there as all other genres combined, thats why they continue to contact you.

I think that's probably true. I don't actually get upset other than the rare case where they sort of berate me for turning them down. That hasn't actually happened this time around, but a couple of years ago I got a few doozies. Mostly I just politely decline and nobody actually is upset (as far as I know).

jw123 wrote:What I would do if I were you, would be to find a band that is playing the style you want to play.

My best friend is a drummer in such a band. I missed being in that band because of circumstances at the time it formed. I've been perpetually bummed about that because their bass player won't quit unless he dies. Even if he did, the band would break up as a result. Plus, I don't actually want him to quit: I like the guy a lot.

jw123 wrote:I dont think people sitting around on there computor trying to find band members are really that serious

My current conclusion as well. I've been trying to identify the difference between my more recent approaches to finding musicians and the approach I used when I actually had some success. The real key, I think, is I knew more musicians on a one-on-one basis back then. Networking. The ads on CL and Bandmix and others just don't cut it.

jw123 wrote:Good Luck

Sadly, I think I'm gonna need it.

#189374 by Starfish Scott
Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:33 pm
Aiki, that's some scary picture you have up.
(the one with the blue light)

Are you tall per chance? You remind me of the Undertaker.
(oops)
It would be cool as hell for you to play some harder music and then choke slam someone into the crowd..

THat'd be a SHOW and a half !!!

(no disrespect intended)

#189603 by aiki_mcr
Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:31 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:Aiki, that's some scary picture you have up.
(the one with the blue light)

Huh. Interesting. You're the first person I've gotten that reaction from. Mostly I get that it's a good picture.

Chief Engineer Scott wrote:Are you tall per chance? You remind me of the Undertaker.
(oops)
It would be cool as hell for you to play some harder music and then choke slam someone into the crowd..

I'm alarmingly average in height (5'9") and alarmingly above average in weight (220lbs). I doubt I could actually pull it off. Though I do sometimes frighten small children and animals. Actually, I get this thing, sometimes, where people are absolutely terrified of me for no reason. People who don't react to me that way are completely baffled by people who do and people who do think there is something wrong with those who don't.

Me, I'm completely baffled by people who are afraid of me. My epitaph is likely to be "Mostly Harmless".

Chief Engineer Scott wrote:THat'd be a SHOW and a half !!!

(no disrespect intended)

I saw no disrespect there. You're right, if I were 6'+ in height it would make for a cool show.

#189608 by JCP61
Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:05 pm
aiki_mcr wrote:

I'm alarmingly average in height (5'9") and alarmingly above average in weight (220lbs). I doubt I could actually pull it off. Though I do sometimes frighten small children and animals. Actually, I get this thing, sometimes, where people are absolutely terrified of me for no reason. People who don't react to me that way are completely baffled by people who do and people who do think there is something wrong with those who don't.

you're 51yo 5'9" and 220?
your going to be dead soon.

#189613 by Planetguy
Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 pm
JCP61 wrote:
aiki_mcr wrote:

you're 51yo 5'9" and 220?
your going to be dead soon.

oh, that's not all THAT overweight. and hopefully when he does kick off he'll at least go to his grave knowing the dif between "your" and "you're". nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

#189617 by JCP61
Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:04 pm
what's a diff?

#189618 by Planetguy
Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:05 pm
JCP61 wrote:what's a diff?

dif=difference

#189628 by PaperDog
Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:46 pm
Planetguy wrote:
JCP61 wrote:what's a diff?

dif=difference