This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#18218 by HowlinJ
Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:40 pm
JY,
123........."To Infinity and Beyond!
On Newyears Eve...... " ROCK THE JOINT HARD"!

The Best to you and yours. Happy New Year!

#18263 by JJW III
Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:11 am
Paleopete wrote:Hey weggie, are you sure you took your medications today? :D

Pretty big band there, I would put Edgar Winter on Alto Sax, Eric Johnson on guitar, Ian Anderson on Flute and lock Yoko out of the studio...

Jethro Tull would have to go on that band list too...
I think I'd also have to add Steely Dan

Did I take my meds. That's funny Pete.

Seriously, I was looking through all the different genres and to me it is just a marketing tool to sell a sub par piece of music. Like I heard a good one today from the movie robots that me think of how these genres are arrived at..

"He is playing a cross between Jazz and funk........junk."

Excellent additions to the Galaxy Genre by the way and great call on Yoko.

I will get a hold of my doc and tell him to up the meds. LOL

#18264 by JJW III
Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:14 am
jw123 wrote:Wegman,

I got it started for you. Last night me and the singer from my old band went to a couple of clubs to promote our New Years gig. The DJ at one club had us in the booth talking up our gig, and he asked how we would describe our music. Ussually I would let Kevin do the talkin but I jumped in and said we play Galaxy Music. The DJ was crackin up and we were walking around and some of the younger folks were going yea we gotta get some of that Galaxy stuff you were talkin about. We were headed home and Kevin said WHats the deal are you having flashbacks or somethin. Those people probably think Im a space case for sure. Well as long as they come out and spend money with us New Years who cares.

Well done.

That is funny.

#18343 by jw123
Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:21 pm
Hey Im going to play a cross between country and rap

CRAP

I heard that on some radio show the other day.

Wegman, I pulled out an old Deep Purple cassette, yea I said cassette and listened to Space Truckin in your honor.

Come on
Come On
Come On
Lets Go Space Truckin

#18375 by JJW III
Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:18 pm
Ian Gillian is definetly in the Galaxy genre. I love his opening on Highway Star.

They just don't make them like that anymore.

Come on, do do do dodo do do do dodo let's go space trucking come on (do do's this time in a different key)

That's it. I have finally lost what litte of my mind I had left.

Great tune.

#18402 by Paleopete
Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:32 pm
Space Truckin...Highway Star...

How about Lazy...Strange Kind of Woman...I always liked Ian Paice's drum intro to Fireball too.

I saw a show this weekend a friend taped, a history of the Fender Stratocaster, with clips of a horde of musicians using them, Blackmore and Clapton of course, David Gilmour, Steve Miller, Malmsteen, Keith Richards, George Harrison, Dweezil Zappa, (short clip of Frank too), Hendrix, Jeff Lynne, Bonnie Raitt, Jeff Heally, some of the older blues guys, Leo Fender, and others. They showed the clip of Ritchie Blackmore at California Jam smashing a strat on the video camera. Unfortunately they didn't show when he broke the lens, that looked pretty cool from what I remember of it but that was many moons ago...

Anyway it was interesting, clips of Hendrix burning one, George Harrison with his 1965 strat he painted day glo in about 67, (used on "All You Need Is Love") and he told the story of how it came to pass, Dweezil Zappa with the burned Hendrix strat Frank had, after he died Dweezil found it under a staircase with junk on top of it demolished again and rebuilt it with a left handed neck.

Clapton also related how in the late 60's when Fender almost sidelined the strat, they were going for very low prices because they just weren't selling, he bought 12 for nothing and gave several away, then used parts from 4 to build Blackie. When Hendrix died in '70 the strat sales suddenly took off, so we didn't lose the strat after all...

Cool that Blue Cheer looks like they're at it again, the sound loop on the site didn't sound anything like the 60's group though, it was raunch n' roll deluxe back then. I remember hearing that and atomic Rooster and thinking "that'll never fly"...boy was I wrong...Usually zeppelin is credited with being the original Heavy Metal band, believe it or not, but I always thought that should be Blue Cheer, Grabnd Funk Railroad or Atomic Rooster.

Captain Beyond was my favorite of that era, Deep Purple's original vocalist Rod Evans, Iron Butterfly's Lee Dorman (bass) and Rhino (guitar) and Bobby Caldwell (Johnny Winter's drummer). The first real supergroup. Unfortunately their record company had just discovered southern rock and didn't promote them well, they fizzled out due to that and drug problems, two albums and they disappeared. But that 1st Captain Beyond album was killer...I still listen to it now and then. By the way I read when I looked up some info on the band that Rhino said he recorded that album with a pair of 200 watt Marshalls and a Strat...And I thought Blackmore was nuts using just one of those beasts...

You just had to get me started... :D