This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#181858 by Amethyste Spardel
Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:54 am
I am a precision thereminist and I got this EHX talking Machine. I didnt really know what to expect at first but dang! It toally changed the voice of the theremin into an Opera star. Pretty cool!

I thought you all might want to hear/see this :) Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMOxMWCgfU8

I hope you enjoy! :)

#181907 by jw123
Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:27 pm
My daughter sings that song, your version is awesome!

#182106 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 pm
Quite amazing!

#182108 by Lynard Dylan
Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 pm
What is a thereminist?

I watched the video, I
still don't understand. :?

#182129 by Amethyste Spardel
Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 pm
Lynard Dylan wrote:What is a thereminist?

I watched the video, I
still don't understand. :?

The theremin was the first electronic instrument which was built by Leon theremin. The theremin emit a pitch field that you play. There is a volume loop, the higher the hand goes, the louder the sound then the pitch antenna where you play with an aerial finger method to get to the desired pitch. The theremin has no frets, nothing to refer your playing on. The only instrument that you do not touch to play it. It's quite hard...

#182189 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm
Thanks for the explanation, I seen you moving your
hands around, but thought you were getting into the
music, as a conductor would do.

I'll have to research the theremin further. 8)

#182196 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm
Lynard Dylan wrote:Thanks for the explanation, I seen you moving your
hands around, but thought you were getting into the
music, as a conductor would do.

I'll have to research the theremin further. 8)

LD - remember the spooky sound of low budget horror movies in the 50s/60s? The same sound in the 'lead' part of the Beach Boys' Good Vibrations'?

#182200 by jw123
Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:29 pm
Lee remember Jimmy Page doing that crazy noise waving his hand.

#182214 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 pm
Was that on The Song Remains the Same?

#182218 by Amethyste Spardel
Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:46 pm
The sound on good vibration is not a theremin, it is a tannerin. Not the same thing. Also I am a precision thereminist. I can actually play the theremin rather than doing effects with it. It's not easy!

#182227 by Chaeya
Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:32 pm
That was beautiful!

Chaeya

#182235 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:07 pm
Amethyste Spardel wrote:The sound on good vibration is not a theremin, it is a tannerin. Not the same thing. Also I am a precision thereminist. I can actually play the theremin rather than doing effects with it. It's not easy!

Any day I can learn something is a good day! Per Wiki, the tannerin is often called an Electro-Theremin. There was a PBS (I think) special on Dr Theremin that mentioned Good Vibrations.
Amethyste - not to detract from your most awesome precision theremin talents!

#182238 by Amethyste Spardel
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:25 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Amethyste Spardel wrote:The sound on good vibration is not a theremin, it is a tannerin. Not the same thing. Also I am a precision thereminist. I can actually play the theremin rather than doing effects with it. It's not easy!

Any day I can learn something is a good day! Per Wiki, the tannerin is often called an Electro-Theremin. There was a PBS (I think) special on Dr Theremin that mentioned Good Vibrations.
Amethyste - not to detract from your most awesome precision theremin talents!

Well thank you so much! I appreciate that :) the sound of a theremin is easily confused with others, just like the Star Trek theme. The sound you hear on Star Trk theme, is not a theremin but the soprano voice of Loulie Jean Norman. :)