This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#150322 by gbheil
Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:49 pm
No, that would be me telling my son to take out the garbage. :lol:
#150371 by Black57
Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 am
Karenslc wrote:i want to thank you guys for your thoughtful input. i really appreciate it. i am going to give this a try, but clearly wont give up my day job! i know that in many ways as we get older we get both more and less patient -- more patient in understanding the fact that life can throw a lot at people and so understand the reasons we become who we are and hopefully more tolerant of people's foibles and weaknesses-- and less patient with the seemingly trivial stuff. I'll see if I have enough patience to go through the band formation stage.

I am intrigued that so many of you have opted to work on your own. I wonder if it is an expression of the latter. Perhaps it is because i am also a painter -- something that is completely an independent and sometimes isolating activity -- that I seek some form of collaborative expression. Maybe this could take the form of a more simple collaboration such as songwriting

I just spent some time in Brazil studying guitar with two terrific artists and it made me see that there is so much more to learn and discover. I'm glad I posted because I am learning much from you all.

Don't let who you are become a handicap. You must make who you are an asset because that it who we see first. George put up a great example. He shows that "old" people can rock. :wink: It is absolutely never too late to soar wherever you want to soar. So...soar.

#150372 by Black57
Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:51 am
sanshouheil wrote:Image

8) This is a great example of a great example. There was a woman in the AARP magazine recently who just learned to play drums and is now playing in a band.

#150400 by Peter Joseph
Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 pm
Lot of good thoughts and insights. I've been out of the music scene for over 30 years. Just recently decided to play again. My fingers just cant do what they use to do. But, this time it's for myself, doing only original material. I guess Ill be my own biggest fan! Thanks to modern technology, I can be a one man band!

#150407 by Jahva
Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:16 pm
Peter Joseph wrote:Lot of good thoughts and insights. I've been out of the music scene for over 30 years. Just recently decided to play again. My fingers just cant do what they use to do. But, this time it's for myself, doing only original material. I guess Ill be my own biggest fan! Thanks to modern technology, I can be a one man band!

Ditto!
Cept for the 30 years... it's only been 18 for me. :wink:

#150413 by Peter Joseph
Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:32 am
Ditto!
Cept for the 30 years... it's only been 18 for me. :wink:[/quote]

Jahva, don't burn the shiny clothes.. they might come back in style! sell on Ebay! I liked the originals you got going there...

#150499 by Jahva
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:13 am
Peter Joseph wrote:Ditto!
Cept for the 30 years... it's only been 18 for me. :wink:

Jahva, don't burn the shiny clothes.. they might come back in style! sell on Ebay! I liked the originals you got going there...[/quote]

Thanks Pete
I gave your tunes a listen as well... 8) nice job on "I'm Free" Wonder what it would sound like if you threw a bridge and some vocals on it. Or was it meant to be just a musical piece? Either way... pretty cool little jam. But yeah... I'm just glad to be doing something again even if it's just livin my own little world here.

#150513 by Chaeya
Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:10 pm
Karen,

Yes, it's true, you can do whatever you wish to do. With Will there is a way. But there's a such thing as being realistic. Mainstream music isn't very kind to people of age. However here's what you can do regardless of age:

1. Create a niche for your music and cater to people of that niche. Some examples are pirate music, folk music (there's still an ample following), steampunk.

2. Be a singer/songwriter and get your songs on TV, commercials and movies. It helps to really know someone here. I'm not a big fan of these sites offering paid opps, but if you must, try TAXI. You can also contact music directors of small indie films, documentaries and so on, but you look for opps you can find them.

3. You can do small fairs, coffee shops and sell your CDs. My friend, Gail Chasin is older than you are and she's a phenomenal songwriter and singer. She calls her company Blue Hair Productions (LOL) but you can check out her website. http://gailchasin.com/

I wouldn't bother with a band, if you can play acoustic guitar, just write some songs and play, sell CDs. There are plenty of street fairs, coffee shops and so on.

I think when musicians just focus on doing what makes them happy, do it professionally and well, they can wind up far more content than trying to go mainstream. You just never know, just keep an open mind.

Chaeya

#150519 by Stringdancer
Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:35 pm
Who cares how old you are if the music you make sounds good, if you decide to go for it do it with enthusiasm it will come thru your music, don't overthink it just go for it and all your questions will be answered.

#151280 by Black57
Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:35 pm
Nav4c wrote:Who cares how old you are if the music you make sounds good, if you decide to go for it do it with enthusiasm it will come thru your music, don't overthink it just go for it and all your questions will be answered.

Fifty might even be the BEST time to concentrate on a music carreer. I compare myself to what my mom was doing in her fifties. She became diabetic and her life was centered around diabetes. She was a wonderfully happy woman and I am not complaining at all about how she lived her life. Music however, will keep you young. I concentrate on my health more because I have no intentions of every retiring. I am now peri-menopausal and prediabetic and I am breezing through these two segments of my life and music plays a major part in that...it truly does.
#181680 by Jon Rey
Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:59 pm
Karenslc wrote:I would like to play some serious music, but it seems like everyone my age has been there and done that. Are only young people starting bands these days? I would love some constructive criticism of my listing on this site, too!
would love to start a band with season musicians like yourself

#181721 by Lynard Dylan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm
Yes

#181722 by Lynard Dylan
Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm
Yes