This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#153897 by BALLADERE
Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:18 pm
Does anyone like classic country music anymore ? If you do where do they hire classic country singers? Some want to listen to it ,but nobody wants to hire,and if they do they don't want to pay. If I were dying for a beer and went into a place and said I was thirsty do u think they would give me a free beer probably not , so why should I perform for nothing.

All us musicians and singers should stick together and never play for free again , their just trying to make a sucker out of us .

LET'S FIGHT THIS TOGETHER.
#153921 by PaperDog
Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:41 am
BALLADERE wrote:Does anyone like classic country music anymore ? If you do where do they hire classic country singers? Some want to listen to it ,but nobody wants to hire,and if they do they don't want to pay. If I were dying for a beer and went into a place and said I was thirsty do u think they would give me a free beer probably not , so why should I perform for nothing.

All us musicians and singers should stick together and never play for free again , their just trying to make a sucker out of us .

LET'S FIGHT THIS TOGETHER.

I hear ya but truthfully, the folks who make the real money aren't depending on the clubs anyhow. To get there, one has to ask, what does the musician need to bring to the table?

#153923 by gbheil
Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:49 am
I would definitely prefer some old Charlie Pride to the pseudo rock / pseudo country mish mash of heavily processed, loser lyric-ed and voice corrected crap being puked out by today's country " stars ".

Did not sound real positive or convincing ... did I ?

#153926 by PaperDog
Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:38 am
sanshouheil wrote:I would definitely prefer some old Charlie Pride to the pseudo rock / pseudo country mish mash of heavily processed, loser lyric-ed and voice corrected crap being puked out by today's country " stars ".

Did not sound real positive or convincing ... did I ?

LOL! :lol:

#164483 by AyrTrayn
Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 pm
You need an agent and a lawyer. Preferably not the same person lol :?
By the way they still play Charlie Pride and pay for it round the world.

#167272 by Emilyangel
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:48 am
Small to support the upstairs ~ ~

#179530 by Grant Daniels
Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:14 am
the question should be who doesn't like classic country lol .Of course everyone does and its the main roots to real country.there are country singers out there that don't sing country more like pop but still do good but its only a fad.True country will always stay in style.

#180982 by Brice Chaffin
Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:59 pm
Personally, I love old, classic country. I don't have much use for the contemporary pop country that often seems to be all the rage. I'm not a country player, but if I'm going to LISTEN to country, it'll be old country. My grandparents gave me a love for Jim Reeves, Johnny Horton, Sonny James, Charlie Pride, etc...

#181361 by dusty37088
Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:28 am
I wrote and performed 'classic country" for years but there's just not enough market these days - especially for original material. Mostly, fans of classic country want to hear the famous songs (Merle, Hank, Waylon etc.) and don't want new stuff in that format. Lately, I've had to switch to my other love, blues. At least they never seem to go out of style. Too bad. There goes 50 years of country repertoire down the drain.

Dusty

#182520 by dusty37088
Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:13 am
dusty37088 wrote:I wrote and performed 'classic country" for years but there's just not enough market these days - especially for original material. Mostly, fans of classic country want to hear the famous songs (Merle, Hank, Waylon etc.) and don't want new stuff in that format. Lately, I've had to switch to my other love, blues. At least they never seem to go out of style. Too bad. There goes 50 years of country repertoire down the drain.

Dusty

On the other hand (there's completely different fingers) why let the kids have all the fun. Guess I'll still play country whenever and wherever I can... as well as blues (and some good ol' rock'n'roll too). There's got to be a market out there somewhere!

#183967 by dusty37088
Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:06 pm
Hello? <tap> Is this thing on? Anybody out there?

#203045 by valerie39090
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:27 am
Hey, Dusty, I'm out here! I find I get asked most for old country when I play nursing homes and fall fairs. Other than that, for other bookings I mix in a bit of 50's-80's soft rock. Around here it seems all the bars and pubs want classic rock or top 40's bands. They're OK, but I would rather hear/play country any day! When I need my fix I can always to the local Royal Canadian Legions!
#244237 by mcfournier
Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:54 pm
Sorry I'm a bit late joining the discussion... I just realized there was a forum on Bandmix :oops:

As for old country, it depends on where you're playing. Royal Canadian Legions are good for musicians playing it there and they tend to pay decently. The a-level bars, not so much.

The a-level bars that pay the most want bands to cater to their audiences: 19-35 year old country fans who are into Luke Bryan, Eric Church, Brad Paisley. Everything needs to be new, upbeat, and fast.

There are a couple of bars in SW Ontario that stipulate that you can't play old country but we still throw in the odd Johnny Cash/Waylon tune. The songs the crowd would know.

I'd love to play older country, but there simply aren't enough bars out there that will allow me to. The Legion is the only one that comes to mind, and that's mostly during old-country dances.
#245032 by Hipnoetic
Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:45 am
Classic country is great! Most bars like classic country acts but sometimes the free gigs are more about exposure and proving your worth it. If the people like you and they hang around spending more money then you will have proven to be of value..

The best way to get paid is to prove that you can draw a crowd. A crowd is more wet sales for the bar which is where your paycheque is coming from.
#245037 by schmedidiah
Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:36 pm
Classic Country? I'm fer it! Ain't again' it! :lol: