This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#180051 by IAmTheMusician
Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:41 pm
I'm on the verge of starting a band, but you know? It's pretty tough! I can't seem to find very committed musicians close to my age. I know age really doesn't matter but I would like musicians close to my age. This is about the fourth or fifth time I'm having to find NEW musicians, the old ones(whom I won't mention any names) just weren't committed enough, and they always canceled on me the day of our band practice. It's like they we're too busy to be part of a band. So my question is how do you find committed musicians? I've tried contacting members on here, and on Craigslist but most of them haven't responded back yet. I'm getting pretty irritated already, my band is rock. I think most people enjoy rock music, so this shouldn't be too hard. Has anyone else had a problem like this before?
Last edited by IAmTheMusician on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#180073 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 pm
Look for others who are seeking a band actively. If they are actively doing it, then they have some degree of commitment. THose who are sitting at home scanning CL and goofing off should be commited to Belleview!

#180096 by gbheil
Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:30 pm
Very carefully . . .

#180651 by Drumsinhisheart
Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 pm
Has anyone NOT had this problem before?

The guitarist I record with said he found a bass player that seems to have good ideas and some talent. Been a few months now and I have yet to meet him. He's a tournament bass fisherman. That's his commitment. So be it.

Most people are committed to their jobs and families. Music has to come second or third.

Many musicians are burnt out with trying to do something with music and their resolve has weakened and their commitment along with it. They're tired of dealing with attitudes.

Others have grown weary of trying to find places to play and not lose money, equipment, and time in the process. Music becomes an expensive hobby they have grown tired of having.

The listening public seems to get more fickle in their tastes, and less interested in supporting local music, no matter how good local artists may be. Musician commitment fades with the territory.

Just the way the world is now.

I'd be interested to know how many people here actually make a living playing/recording music, and what kind of barnyard defecation they have to go through to do it now a days.

#180713 by PaperDog
Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:06 am
Etu Malku wrote:Bellvue? :wink:

nOW THAT THAR WUS fUNNY AS HAELLL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#180748 by PierceG
Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:35 am
I make it very clear that I have killed before and will kill again, should the need arise.

(Kidding, kidding)

#180774 by Starfish Scott
Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:37 pm
hey ETU, where did you get the blotter, I mean the avatar. LOLOLOLOL
#181221 by pogijuice9061
Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:58 am
Anybody interested I'm in Killeen, Texas Area!
Last edited by pogijuice9061 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
#181222 by pogijuice9061
Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:01 am
IAmTheMusician wrote:I'm on the verge of starting a band, but you know? It's pretty tough! I can't seem to find very committed musicians close to my age. I know age really doesn't matter but I would like musicians close to my age. This is about the fourth or fifth time I'm having to find NEW musicians, the old ones(whom I won't mention any names) just weren't committed enough, and they always canceled on me the day of our band practice. It's like they we're too busy to be part of a band. So my question is how do you find committed musicians? I've tried contacting members on here, and on Craigslist but most of them haven't responded back yet. I'm getting pretty irritated already, my band is rock. I think most people enjoy rock music, so this shouldn't be too hard. Has anyone else had a problem like this before?

Yes I have been there before going through the same scenario. I was on the verge of making a lot of music, my mind was overflowing with ideas. So don't worry I have been there so you are not alone! I too am looking for committed musicians.

#182722 by Kramerguy
Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:44 pm
I've found that no matter where you look, the quality of your ad will be directly proportional to the quality of responses.

I generally use Craigslist, and I found over the years that putting out a detailed and concise ad does wonders. I also ask for a brief bio or history in the response, with links when possible. Very easy to weed out the biggest flakes.

No system is perfect, Last year we still had 1 in 4 not show for the audition when we were looking for a singer.

On a good note- we searched for a new drummer last year, and we auditioned 4 guys, and three of them were stellar drummers! We had to bring all 3 back for 2nd auditions, and still struggled with the decision.

Needless to say, I think we made a good choice, now a year later, he's perfectly integrated into the band and has been a great fit since the inception.

Just focus on quality ads. Make sure grammar is good, what you are looking for is clear, and your expectations for the response and the position are spelled out in detail. Quality people like to see bands/others who are well-organized.

#182801 by MikeTalbot
Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:55 am
Drums

You really summed it up. I did a blues jam with a drummer I liked and when I told him I wanted to do original he gasped, "I've got grown kids!"

And?

But yeah, I get what you are saying.

Talbot

#182832 by Paleopete
Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:06 pm
Kramer pretty much nailed it. Read his post 3 times, and put together a really good ad specifying exactly what you want, what your requirements are, double check it for spelling and grammar, then edit it to make it clear and concise, and hopefully not too long.

You want to include your location, type of music you play, locations you expect to book, or general area, general age and experience range, a list of qualifications expected, and a link to something they can listen to might help.

Also realize the prospective player has to choose the band same as you have to choose him. He (or she) might be looking at 3 different bands, you will need to sell your band to them same as they have to sell themselves to you.

#182834 by Planetguy
Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm
this might be a good thread in and of itself....

hey, you think YOU guys have it tough attracting musicians....imagine running an ad like THIS one of mine in Mid-MO! needless to say the response so far has been underwhelming. :cry:

GYPSY JAZZ and SWING TRIO seeks 3rd piece (Jeff/Columbia)

Former members of Django's Tiger are looking for a third member to round out (or more accurately...triangulate) our group.

We're presently two members....T.H. plays gtr and mandolin. I play gtr, mandolin, and bass.

So, this gives us a little bit of flex re. a third player...

We'd be open to any of the following: another gtrst, a bassist (acoustic preferred but not required) , a violinist, clarinet player, mandolinist, etc.

For gtr...ability to solo and improvise is great but we'd also welcome a strong rhythm gtrst who has a good handle on theory and appropriate chord voicings.

A large part of our material has been Django Reinhart's music and songs in that style. We also play some more modern things as well. Vocals are most welcome but not a requirement.

And we're open to taking things in other directions as well...Dawg Music/jazzgrass for instance, or.....

Some video of Django's Tiger here: http://vimeo.com/10221278 (T.H. is on lead gtr/vcls...i'm on bass)

Thanks for reading.

#183012 by Fellow-Ship
Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:08 am
Try to find communitu oriented get togethers. Bars with open mics. Poetry night. Artsy fartsy types of events where indie or underground artists gather. Theyre all over. Heck even start your own open mic. The musicians will come.