This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Which instrument is least often played?

4%
22%
7%
15%
52%

#178594 by PaperDog
Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:13 pm
obeythepenguin wrote:I've been thinking about this one a while. At least in a rock band, by far the hardest musicians to find aren't bassists, or keyboardists, or singers, but ocarina players. Think about it. Flautists in general are the most terribly underrated musicians in any rock group, but there are a handful who have achieved recognition -- Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel, Ray Thomas, Jerry Eubanks. Not so ocarina players, though. I bet you can't even name a famous ocarina player off the top of your head!*

* The reason for this being, of course, that there are no famous ocarina players.

As it happens, I play bass, keyboards, and ocarina -- and I sing. Statistically, I don't even exist. In theory, then, I should have my pick of any band I want, since my abilities should be in such universally high demand. With that in mind, I set out to find a gig, fully expecting to sleep that same night in the enormous country estate I had picked along the way as my first purchase with the untold millions that awaited me. I was young and talented, and the future looked promising.

Sadly, upon further investigation it turns out most bands do not, in fact, require my services as an ocarina player. Indeed, I was bitterly disappointed to learn most songs do not even call for an ocarina part, and most of my fellow musicians' reactions to the instrument have been either "What's that?" or "For the love of God, please make it stop!", the latter coming shortly after I attempt to answer the former with a demonstration.

And that, in short, is the reason I started my own band.

When I tried to start my band, an ocarina player showed up to audition... But he made me feel uncomfortable...He kept pointing his Ocarina at me like a ray-gun and kept chanting "Phasers...set to stun"
:lol: 8)

#178633 by PaperDog
Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:35 pm
obeythepenguin wrote:
PaperDog wrote:When I tried to start my band, an ocarina player showed up to audition... But he made me feel uncomfortable...He kept pointing his Ocarina at me like a ray-gun and kept chanting "Phasers...set to stun"
:lol: 8)

Dog, I believe what you had was not actually an ocarina player, but a space alien. While our species are frequently confused due to the overwhelming number of similarities, there is one critical distinction: a real ocarina player never gives advance warning.

It figures... This is why I really need to clean out my garage...

#178676 by JazzAnarchy
Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:14 pm
obeythepenguin wrote:Sadly, upon further investigation it turns out most bands do not, in fact, require my services as an ocarina player. Indeed, I was bitterly disappointed to learn most songs do not even call for an ocarina part, and most of my fellow musicians' reactions to the instrument have been either "What's that?" or "For the love of God, please make it stop!", the latter coming shortly after I attempt to answer the former with a demonstration.

And that, in short, is the reason I started my own band.

Don't feel bad. I also get no love for my vuvuzela prowess.

#178685 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:56 pm
Penguin - you just need to start writing more ocarino rock songs and get them into circulation! BUT (big but) - can you play bass and ocarina at the same time? :wink:

#178758 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 am
I was pricing ocarinas today and found I may have to settle for a used one. I confess it makes me queasy to thiink about playing a used ocarina.

Talbot

#178784 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:33 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I was pricing ocarinas today and found I may have to settle for a used one. I confess it makes me queasy to thiink about playing a used ocarina.

Talbot

Like buying used underwear? :oops:

#178796 by Keith Stone
Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 pm
Keyboard players without egos are hard to find too. Thought we had a keyboard player - but once he found out that every song would not be keyboard dominant, he bailed. We offered him to practically half the set to his songs and that was not enough. As for bass players, you either get Sid Viscous ability or John Paul Jones ability. Starting a band is so hard. Makes you want to cry.

#178797 by Keith Stone
Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:04 pm
I agree how important a good bass player is. Unfortunately, good bass players know when they are good and some use that to their advantage LOL

#178804 by Obnoxiousdave
Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:08 pm
It is hard to find singers because without a vocalist you arent really more than half a band. Think of your favorite bands, who do you think started them and guides it's career and message for the most part? Now ask yourself, would they even be the same band without that vocalist? The FRONT person is called that for a reason, they are the center of attention, they are 51 percent stock owners, there is more to being a good front man than singing lyrics, if your vocalist isn't promoting the hell out of your band, you're most likely sunk. Not to be discouraging but the fact of the matter is very few people that arent your direct friends are going to be interested in just your music without a vocalist. You would do better as an individual musician to seek a vocalist looking to start a band than be a band seeking a vocalist, it's not impossible, just a more difficult and less likely road to have a positive outcome. A big challenge I've had to overcome is seeing the bands I play in from the perspective of a non-musician, because THAT is going to be your biggest fanbase in a successful band. Hot licks, smokin leads, killer fills, solid lines, all only accent the main course. :) Find a good singer and let them take the lead, it really is their band, if it's going to go anywhere. As far as bassists, that has been answered. It's a thankless job that requires a unique type of personality to be a "real" bassist. I know this because most of my best friends that I see eye to eye with, myself included, are bassists. They buy wierd instruments, they experiment, they have odd relationships lol. They are much more than the instrument you are seeking them to play with you.

#179723 by Phoenix777
Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 pm
Back in the day, my musical partner/ best friend switched from guitar to bass because we got tired of looking for an entire rhythm section. It actually worked out great, because of his sense of rhythm. Very good rhythm guitarist, but excellent bass player...

As far as vox goes, I've never had a band with a lead singer; I always sang, so did the aforementioned bass player and our drummer did, too...
I still sing, especially on my own originals.

IMHO, if you're just gonna sing, and not play an instrument, you better have one helluva voice!

#180000 by Hairy Beast
Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:53 pm
Never Quit! You'll just have to re-practice it. :twisted:

#180971 by Dreamsinger
Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:48 pm
Why is it hard to find a bass player? As a bass player who routinely turns down invites to play perhaps I can give a little insight. These days good bass gear isn't cheap and putting gas in a vehicle big enough to transport it isn't cheap either. Apparently few people want to indulge their rock & roll fantasy by investing $6000+ in basses and an amp. That's really the only obstacle. For what a lot of bands play it wouldn't take more than a few lessons to get them up to speed playing the root on the beat. Solution: You and the drummer buy a bass rig that's appropriate to your music and recruit one of your friends to learn how to play. Having a bass rig in your practice room may well entice better bass players to come to you. I know I'm a lot more inclined to audition/play if I don't have to haul the rig. On the other end of the spectrum is the "serious" bassist. Chances are he's got a better grip on theory and technical musicianship than you might think. He may even play guitar better than your guy. Unless your band is making boatloads of cash what possible motivation does a *good* bass player have playing for you? Not trying to sound snotty but this is the the world through my eyes.

#181014 by MikeTalbot
Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:21 am
Dreamsinger

Growing your own? I thought that was a good idea for a while but found it's not as easy as it sounds. I had assumed everyone would approach it with the same fanaticism I do. But they don't.

When I told some guys to man up, that I'd played my first gigs after only four months of learning, they thought I was bullshitting. to you and to me, learning to play root notes and simple beats sounds pretty easy - to civilians - not so much.

but it is an option if you can find a guy that will do the work and has some chutzpah.

Talbot

#181050 by Lynard Dylan
Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:41 am
I like grow you own

I want to play with people that are above my abilities!