This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1773 by incubud
Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:38 pm
1st off i consider myself pretty computer literate, but everytime i try to send someone a message it just puts me back in a loop with my account info, so i cant send any messages (you dont have to have a paying membership to do this do you?). I have yet to get a message from anyone, so i dont know if i can reply, but i have only been on here for a little bit
#1776 by Irminsul
Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:33 pm
incubud wrote:1st off i consider myself pretty computer literate, but everytime i try to send someone a message it just puts me back in a loop with my account info, so i cant send any messages (you dont have to have a paying membership to do this do you?). I have yet to get a message from anyone, so i dont know if i can reply, but i have only been on here for a little bit

I'm no computer dummy either, and I've had the same thing happen to me when I tried to contact a member of BandMix. I can only conclude that freebie status does not allow you to contact members (strange, as one would think that's the reason for a site like this to begin with).

Sigh.

#1778 by Auburn Diva
Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:53 pm
Viewing profiles is just a tease. Ya gotta pay if you actually want to contact someone.

#1780 by incubud
Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:23 am
that sucks, too bad everyone doesnt come here...who knows maybe they will...how long has this site been up?
#1781 by incubud
Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:34 am
Irminsul wrote:
incubud wrote:1st off i consider myself pretty computer literate, but everytime i try to send someone a message it just puts me back in a loop with my account info, so i cant send any messages (you dont have to have a paying membership to do this do you?). I have yet to get a message from anyone, so i dont know if i can reply, but i have only been on here for a little bit

I'm no computer dummy either, and I've had the same thing happen to me when I tried to contact a member of BandMix. I can only conclude that freebie status does not allow you to contact members (strange, as one would think that's the reason for a site like this to begin with).

Sigh.

yeah, i think everyone should do what you have done (and what i have just done) to your profile, which is add an e-mail to contact them at.

#1800 by mybassrox
Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:09 pm
Ok, so I don't feel so bad now...I'm on 3 seperate sites looking to join a band and ZERO responses from all 3...and no, I don't suck...I thought bass players were hard to find, guess I was wrong. All these bands advertising "we need a bass player ASAP!!! And then they never respond when you inquire. Go figure.

#1801 by RhythmMan
Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:21 pm
Hey, mybassrox,
Howyadoin?
One thing you should consider about the people looking for bass players, is they often need someone dependable to definitely be there for gigs.
See, but your profile says you want to do it just for fun.
Your profile also says, that you have 'a life', a family, and a job.

Do you see how you might be coming across to them?
Anyway - good luck finding a band.
Alan

#1803 by mybassrox
Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:44 pm
Good points...but my reason for these statements were because there are some looking for bass players to gig out every week or even tour...I work insane hours and at 45, I'm not looking to make this a career...I have never missed a gig or rehearsal and I am probably the most dependable bass player all the bands I was in ever had. These darn sites give you several choices...for fun, moderatley committed, committed,etc...I took that to mean how much time I had to put into the band. My last band practiced 3 to 4 times a month and gigged once, sometimes twice a month....we all have regular jobs....there are some looking to make a career of music...usually they are very young. Perhaps I should change my commitment status and see what happens...it can't hurt.l

#1836 by mike_d
Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:20 pm
I'm glad I'm not alone in this frustration. :lol:

This thread feels like a group therapy session.........I like it! :wink:
#1849 by Flacy
Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:59 pm
There seem to be two generally dominant themes in this thread: 1) People who use this site apparently don't have enough business etiquette to respond and 2) all the features of this site should be free for all.

On the first item, to reiterate my earlier post, we're dealing with musicians. Musicians, especially rock musicians, frequently reject aspects of our culture inconsistent with their personal beliefs and proper business etiquette generally falls outside of that which they consider important. This is not uncommon among other highly-talented artistic types as well. In my experience with rock musicians I have found the most consistent theme is “to h*ll with everything else, let's rock” and this is part of what makes rock and roll so much fun. To be incredulous that musicians lack business etiquette is, to me at least, itself incredulous.

On the second item, if you believe all aspects of this site should be free, are you also willing to extend that to all aspects of music? Probably not. Everyone likes to get paid for a gig, if only to reinforce the idea that their talent has worth. This is the “gig” of the people who run this site. Bandmix offers an amazing level of service for free. I ran free for a long time and it did well for me. If you want some expanded service, like being able to upload more music tracks, it costs a little. In our society we vote with our dollars and that for which we vote becomes stronger. (And no, I do not work for Bandmix nor do I know anyone who does.)

Whether you are paying for this site or not, my advice to those of you with talent is to not be discouraged. After Marshall Tucker, Spartanburg, SC, has been pretty dead musically. I'm a 58 year old bass player who can't sing a lick, but I have met and jammed with a lot of musicians through this site, some good, some great and some not so good. I found that after I really fleshed out my Bandmix page with some music tracks that show I'm OK as a bassist, and with enough biographical and equipment information to let others know I am for real, I started getting calls. And of the calls I initiated, some responded, some didn't. Hey, they're musicians. Ya gotta love'm. Rock out.
#1850 by Irminsul
Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:15 pm
Steve I really laughed out loud when you were describing the pathetic state of most musicians' business acumen. It would be funnier if it weren't so true. Poor Mozart was the rage of all Vienna, yet he died without a pot to piss in, and in an ocean of debt. How's that for tending one's business affairs?

Regarding what should be free on BandMix. I certainly don't expect these sites to give it all away - everybody has to make something or they can't sustain. But in my humble (as humble as Aries' can be) opinion, I think that the simple ability to contact fellow members on BandMix should be one of them. There are plenty of carrot-and-sticks this site has to attract paid memberships; more song uploads, enhanced personal page features etc. to bring in some cash.

#1852 by RhythmMan
Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:51 pm
I agree with Steve.
I've been on this site for many months now, & I think Bandmix is doing a good job.
Irminsul, you've only been on this site for a short while, yet.
Hey, man - if someone gives you something for FREE - don't complain!
Geez . . .
I've done extensive internet searches, and been on a dozen sites.
Bandmix seems to have a wider variety of musicians signed up.
Bandmix also seem to have more EXPERIENCED musicians signed up.
A lot of those other sites have teeny-bopper rock-star wannabees signed up.
They think the 'F-bar' chord is the only chord you need to know. I read one kid saying that open chords are 'cowboy-chords,' and you don't really need them.
Now, THAT'S what you'd expect to get for free. (You get what you pay for)
If Bandmix is allowing us experienced musicians to talk anonymously without charging us, FINE.
Don't rock the boat - you might sink it.
If they want to charge to contact musicians, well ok. What right do you have to complain?
If it means enough to you, you'll pay. If not - you won't - simple.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Alan
Last edited by RhythmMan on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1855 by Auburn Diva
Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:52 pm
Didn't the forum itself used to be one of bandmix's premium features? I'm glad it's now free. I just upgraded my membership because I saw a few profiles of people I wanted to contact. So far, no response. I hope I didn't waste my money. :?

#1858 by Auburn Diva
Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:06 pm
I'd like to share a pet peeve. I've seen several profiles that are asking for vocalist in their band description, but currently seeking=no. If you already found somebody, please pull your ad down. If you haven't, please say so. Thank you.