This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#176393 by gbheil
Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm
TheGuitarpicker wrote:sanshouheil, gotta say, I love the name of your town, Kilgore. Must have been fun when we had the clinton/gore ticket up for election.

Hear me: http://www.bandmix.com/theguitarpicker/

Small town in bible belt of Texas. Not a lot of Clinton / Gore supporters.
And we electronically track them like the child molesters they are.

Just kidding man ...

We tried Bandvista.
I was not impressed and felt our own page did better for us, though now defunct due to the direction & name change. We have a new site but as of now it's just a logo wall. Until we have some recordings and other content ready to go.

P.S. Love the picking in your videos ... and the tiger paintings. 8)

#176413 by TheGuitarpicker
Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:47 pm
sanshouheil wrote:
TheGuitarpicker wrote:sanshouheil, gotta say, I love the name of your town, Kilgore. Must have been fun when we had the clinton/gore ticket up for election.

Just kidding man ...

We tried Bandvista.
I was not impressed and felt our own page did better for us, though now defunct due to the direction & name change. We have a new site but as of now it's just a logo wall. Until we have some recordings and other content ready to go.

Thanks for giving me a listen. I am grateful for that. I just finished setting up the first draft of my bandvista website, and, I regret to say, I too am not very impressed. Hundreds of styles to choose from? Hardly, there were 30 styles to choose from and a lot of them were the same 'style', different color. Also, even though they claim to give you a gig of storage, you are limited to a file size of 10 megs. Anyone know how to get a vid to 10 or less megs, without spending hundreds of dollars on an adobe program? I don't. And why the limit? Does that go away when you start to pay? If you get a gig of storage, why give a rip how many files you divvy that up to? The best I've been able to do was 11 megs by re-downloading my YouTube files, but YouTube only let me download two files, then the option disappeared. YouTube, BTW, has a file size limit too (15 megs, I think, though not sure), but with YouTube the file is scaled to the proper size when you upload. It would have been nice if bandvista did that too.
The bandvista site is at

http://TheGuitarpicker.bandvista.com

I do admit, I like the style I chose, but that doesn't let them off the hook for claiming to have 'hundreds' to choose from. Unless you get more after the trial. If this nets me a paying gig, then I'll be happy, otherwise it's a disappointing waste of time.
I need a vocalist as I do not sing. I have a killer set list and really need to get out there performing.
If you get the chance to check out the vista site, I'd be happy to hear you opinions. Thanks again!

#176419 by gbheil
Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:49 pm
Page looks good man ... sorry can't answer your questions as to file size ETC.
I'm just the trigger man.
I have to beg borrow steal or hire my geek work.

#176430 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:23 pm
I should add that bandmix and the forum helped me ease back into the semi-pro music scene. I'd dropped out (except for playing my guitars and studying theory) and found the culture had been changed by the technology and the ready availability of tutorial aids. (even my cat plays guitar).

Bandmix gave me a badly needed re-education and I've made a lot of contacts. Off to work on recording a tune with one such shortly.

As to Christian. I certainly am. But I can only think of 3 or 4 tunes I've ever written that addressed the topic. Martin Luther wrote that a journyman praises God in his work. A carpenter builds houses as well as churches. But there are a lot of bands focused on praise music and so on so I'm sure you'll stumble into something.

best wishes
Talbot

#176431 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 pm
Picker

Forget the forum - do some searches on the bandmix site. There are thousands. And unless you live in Anarctica you will see hundreds near you.

Talbot

#176435 by Sir Jamsalot
Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:40 pm
TheGuitarpicker wrote:
sanshouheil wrote:

Just kidding man ...

We tried Bandvista.

Thanks for giving me a listen. I am grateful for that. I just finished setting up the first draft of my bandvista website, and, I regret to say, I too am not very impressed. Hundreds of styles to choose from? Hardly, there were 30 styles to choose from and a lot of them were the same 'style', different color. Also, even though they claim to give you a gig of storage, you are limited to a file size of 10 megs. Anyone know how to get a vid to 10 or less megs, without spending hundreds of dollars on an adobe program? I don't. And why the limit? Does that go away when you start to pay? If you get a gig of storage, why give a rip how many files you divvy that up to? The best I've been able to do was 11 megs by re-downloading my YouTube files, but YouTube only let me download two files, then the option disappeared. YouTube, BTW, has a file size limit too (15 megs, I think, though not sure), but with YouTube the file is scaled to the proper size when you upload. It would have been nice if bandvista did that too.
The bandvista site is at

http://TheGuitarpicker.bandvista.com

I do admit, I like the style I chose, but that doesn't let them off the hook for claiming to have 'hundreds' to choose from. Unless you get more after the trial. If this nets me a paying gig, then I'll be happy, otherwise it's a disappointing waste of time.
I need a vocalist as I do not sing. I have a killer set list and really need to get out there performing.
If you get the chance to check out the vista site, I'd be happy to hear you opinions. Thanks again!

Your best bet on the video question is to create a youtube account. When you create that account, do a search on how to extend the video limit. They remove that limit when you supply your phone number to confirm you're a human being (I guess?).

In any case, you can link directly to the youtube videos you post there, or embed them with some html code.

i'm not too familiar with Bandvista, but I read up on the price paid (14 bucks a month?) for only 1 Gig of space?? Only 5 email addresses? Frankly, that's ridiculous. But I guess the selling point for them is it's likely tied to bandmix in some search capacity, and as funky as this site is (from a functional perspective), it gets tons of hits due to their continual advertising.

In any case ~ good luck with that. If I had time, I'd write a real musician's resource site. There don't seem to be many out there worth their weight in salt in terms of what musicians really need. Reverbnation I think would the be closest, but they lack home page customization.

oh - I take that back.
http://www.reverbnation.com/band-promotion/web_site

but even the free Reverbnation site gives you 8Gigs of space. 100 gigs for 16 bucks a month. That's a little more reasonable.

Cheers.
SirJamsalot

#176457 by TheGuitarpicker
Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:41 pm
SirJamsalot wrote:Your best bet on the video question is to create a youtube account. When you create that account, do a search on how to extend the video limit. They remove that limit when you supply your phone number to confirm you're a human being (I guess?).

In any case, you can link directly to the youtube videos you post there, or embed them with some html code.

i'm not too familiar with Bandvista, but I read up on the price paid (14 bucks a month?) for only 1 Gig of space?? Only 5 email addresses? Frankly, that's ridiculous. But I guess the selling point for them is it's likely tied to bandmix in some search capacity, and as funky as this site is (from a functional perspective), it gets tons of hits due to their continual advertising.

In any case ~ good luck with that. If I had time, I'd write a real musician's resource site. There don't seem to be many out there worth their weight in salt in terms of what musicians really need. Reverbnation I think would the be closest, but they lack home page customization.

oh - I take that back.
http://www.reverbnation.com/band-promotion/web_site

but even the free Reverbnation site gives you 8Gigs of space. 100 gigs for 16 bucks a month. That's a little more reasonable.

Cheers.
SirJamsalot

Thanks for the response, I will be looking into Reverbnation. The bandvista is still on the 30 day trial, so it hasn't cost anything yet and you get bandmix premier with the 15 buck price. I got to admit, I do like the theme that I chose and it was really easy to set up. The file size limit gets me though. Why do these things ALWAYS have be a PITA? I, like you, would love to start a real musicians resource, and I will one day, I hope. I didn't know that about YouTube, I'm looking into that too.

#176478 by Slacker G
Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:19 pm
Have you tried to Google Bandmix Local Musicians? A page will shows up that lists all Bandmix musicians by state. At least that will let you know who is in your area. Toy may have to initiate contact with them since not all the people listed in Bandmix check the forums on a consistent basis.