This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

How many of you use a sustainer in your rig?

50%
50%
N/A
#173876 by Starfish Scott
Mon May 21, 2012 3:06 pm
I got a chance to listen to a good sustainer recently and it was a little bit of a teaching moment for me because of the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuIJkyfG0Fc

No more tears/Ozzy..

At :34-38 you hear these squeals..well I am coming to understand that this sound or something similar can be generated by the use of this sustainer.

IT was a Fernades, I believe.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustain ... ainer.html

HAve you tried one of these yet?

Pantera people? You use these? Sounds like Dimebag as well..
(Personally I never heard one until the other night)(doh)

#173881 by Etu Malku
Mon May 21, 2012 3:26 pm
I don't use a sustainer pup but I do use an EBow quite a bit on my fretless guitars.

#173914 by GuitarMikeB
Mon May 21, 2012 8:37 pm
I've always used a compressor (had a Morley way back when). How do you activate/deactivate this thing, couldn't quite figure it out from the web page.
#173929 by Astral Eyes
Tue May 22, 2012 5:06 am
Yes. We use an Electro-Harmonix Soul Preacher for Compression/Sustain. It does a good job. We used to use it a lot. Now we barely do and only for lead playing.

#173937 by Starfish Scott
Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:I've always used a compressor (had a Morley way back when). How do you activate/deactivate this thing, couldn't quite figure it out from the web page.

I think it's a spring loaded switch in one of the pots.

(click it and stick it)

#173968 by gbheil
Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 pm
Humm I always thought the squealies were made doing pinch harmonics.

I guess I could use on of those teaching moments myself.
Being under the impression that a good guitar amp combo should give you all the sustain you should really ever need.

#173990 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 23, 2012 12:05 am
EVERYTHING is a trick, you just know how to do it or posses the hardware.

And this is a new hardware thing..I originally thought that this sound was what you get from skill, now it's kind of a let down.

One less magician's trick in the book that is still secret. lol

#173993 by gbheil
Wed May 23, 2012 12:17 am
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:EVERYTHING is a trick, you just know how to do it or posses the hardware.

And this is a new hardware thing..I originally thought that this sound was what you get from skill, now it's kind of a let down.

Somehow that is rather comforting. In another rather disturbing.
Sometimes I wonder in our flip a switch world why bother busting your ass to learn an instrument at all?

#173994 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 23, 2012 12:24 am
Easy answer: To make yourself happy..why else?

#174007 by Cajundaddy
Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 am
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:EVERYTHING is a trick, you just know how to do it or posses the hardware.

The Fernandes Sustainer would probably work but with as much gain as they were using on that Ozzy track, those squeals are pretty easy to do. Oz Fox of Stryper is pretty well known for "The squeal":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5xaIAMcwk

#174018 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 23, 2012 12:21 pm
Thejohnny7band wrote:

The Fernandes Sustainer would probably work but with as much gain as they were using on that Ozzy track, those squeals are pretty easy to do. Oz Fox of Stryper is pretty well known for "The squeal":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5xaIAMcwk

Johnny7 go to a guitar shop near you and try it.
Don't tell me about anything you don't have personal, up close experience with. I just got done trying it and that's the only reason I bother to mention it.

Feel free to go back to ignoring me, I don't know anything and I don't care to. And I am quite sure you don't need any tips from anything I glean, now or in the future.

If you have a head, a 4x12 and a les paul, you can make that scream.
It's just that the device makes it so easy even Glambert might be able to accomplish it.

It's something to listen to, but don't take my word for it, check it out so your own ears can tell the difference. That way, you don't have to tell me about that which you don't know or haven't heard for yourself.

#174052 by Starfish Scott
Thu May 24, 2012 1:33 am
Tri-State Hate..if it gets any worse, I'll consider playing hardcore music.

The environment dictates the behavior. Keep your women and children indoors at all times or they will be rounded up and sold as slaves. lol

#174070 by jw123
Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 pm
Ive never used one, I get those squeals the hard way!

#174090 by Starfish Scott
Thu May 24, 2012 9:27 pm
AS you should JW, but you ought to check it out if you get the chance.

You might be surprised.