This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#173098 by Megan Hall
Mon May 14, 2012 7:09 pm
Heya guys. I am a singer who is writing lyrics for a DJ's music. His intention is to put the songs we collaborate on itunes or something. How do make entirely sure that my lyrics and voice aren't just stolen? What can do to actually keep my name on those songs?

I don't suspect him to screw me over or anything, and I don't expect to make anything incredible from what we are creating, but Everyone has to start somewhere right? I just don't want my voice to disappear right into a market I don't know anything about. Any preventative measures I can take before going to just go record with this guy to make entirely sure my lyrics aren't just stolen and recorded with someone else's voice or whatever?

Also if there is a topic similar to this already, my apologies. Can't seem to find a search bar through topic sifting.
#173117 by PaperDog
Mon May 14, 2012 8:19 pm
MeganHallEimer wrote:Heya guys. I am a singer who is writing lyrics for a DJ's music. His intention is to put the songs we collaborate on itunes or something. How do make entirely sure that my lyrics and voice aren't just stolen? What can do to actually keep my name on those songs?

I don't suspect him to screw me over or anything, and I don't expect to make anything incredible from what we are creating, but Everyone has to start somewhere right? I just don't want my voice to disappear right into a market I don't know anything about. Any preventative measures I can take before going to just go record with this guy to make entirely sure my lyrics aren't just stolen and recorded with someone else's voice or whatever?

Also if there is a topic similar to this already, my apologies. Can't seem to find a search bar through topic sifting.

If you are doing this for a DJ, chances are he's nicking somebody elses music .. I could be wrong , But I never knew a DJ that was a real composer of music. Arranger of existing music? Yes...

That said, You don't agree to do anything with this guy until he explains to you where he got the music. (You cant collect money if its not used with permission, etc) Once you are satisfied with the answer to that...if he's a rip-off, drop him like...now... But, If he's legit you got a couple of ways to go:

1) Sell him the lyrics for a flat price. ((Called Work for Hire (FH))
2) Or Get in writing, a contractual agreement about shared royalties... (and get him to show evidence of an attempt to market the music..Otherwise he's just blowing smoke up your ass)
3) At no time should you give him copyright claims (Unless its WFH)

There's other ideas... but I thought of these ...

#173133 by RGMixProject
Mon May 14, 2012 10:02 pm
If his name is Brian Transeau or RGMixProject, you have nothing to worry about.

If not and its sampled music you will be up for a lawsuit after your first dollar.

#173136 by Megan Hall
Mon May 14, 2012 10:24 pm
Uh. How do I figure out if it is his music? What are things I should ask that would show me proof. Tbh I don't know the first thing about creating music...I am vocals purely. Never had equipment or anything to mess with or expensive computer programs. <---that is how he makes his music I believe. Is there something I should ask to be shown specifically?

#173138 by PaperDog
Mon May 14, 2012 10:43 pm
MeganHallEimer wrote:Uh. How do I figure out if it is his music? What are things I should ask that would show me proof. Tbh I don't know the first thing about creating music...I am vocals purely. Never had equipment or anything to mess with or expensive computer programs. <---that is how he makes his music I believe. Is there something I should ask to be shown specifically?

Just ask him straight up how he comes up with the music... IF he tells you he uses others music, and he doesnt have the express permission, you shouldn't collaborate. IF he says he makes his own music up, ask him what instruments , Software etc is he using...

#173142 by Megan Hall
Mon May 14, 2012 11:11 pm
Where abouts do I look into this contractual agreement stuff (in truth the thing I'm mostly after. If this guy did make this music which I'm pretty sure he did, I have heard him play, he's pretty decently talented, the music is fantastic, and I really want to get started...just not screwed.)

Sorry if these questions are dumb, but I honestly have no idea how to even begin, and I told him I wanted to look into this stuff first.

#173146 by PaperDog
Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 am
MeganHallEimer wrote:Where abouts do I look into this contractual agreement stuff (in truth the thing I'm mostly after. If this guy did make this music which I'm pretty sure he did, I have heard him play, he's pretty decently talented, the music is fantastic, and I really want to get started...just not screwed.)

Sorry if these questions are dumb, but I honestly have no idea how to even begin, and I told him I wanted to look into this stuff first.

There are no dumb questions... especially not these... ;)
If you feel comfortable with his abilities then no need to scrutinize too hard... In that case, just discuss and work up an agreement that both of you guys can live with... If you thinks he's being unfair, then just ask him if he thinks its unfair and see what his responses are... If you feel Ok about it all ,,,then get started . ;)

#173148 by XhaDoW-6
Tue May 15, 2012 3:05 am
YOU COULD ALWAS SING FOR MEEEEE LOL

#173261 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 16, 2012 1:03 pm
As has been suggested, ask him straight out how he is creating his music - is he playing all the instruments, sampling other's music (that's creative stealing), etc.
To protect your work (lyrics), you need to have a signed contract - google 'partnership contracts free' and you can find some helpful information. You want to make sure that if any money is made, you get your fair share/credit.
Note that anyone can get music on iTunes by contracting with CDBaby (it's not expensive), but it doesn't mean you will make any money doing it.