This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1539 by Formidablefoe
Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:52 pm
You know, when you're starting out, just getting the band together was
hard enough. I mean, I just got out of a band and started searching for a
new one since my band mates kept disagreeing.

If it wasn't for music, I guess I be a lawyer or something.

That would suck...

Like I would let that ever happen [quote]

Betzy
#1559 by Blindfold5150
Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:44 pm
I never went into music saying to myself , " I'm gonna be big rock star & make lots -a money!!!! '. I grew up around musicians , I saw music as a job , but something far more enjoyable than going to law school , becoming a tinder box exploding middle age crisis lawyer . What ever you go through now , formidiblefoe , you can bet the planet that there are more problems ahead . Oh unless you become a rap "artist" , and rip your music w/ no creative insight . I can imagine the thought process ,...; " Its too hard to devote hours upon hours to learn a musical instrument , I'll just sample the stuff , & I dont have to worry about fights , different opinions , or paying anybody but ME !!!! '' Betzy , just keep in mind the most important thing , music .
#1634 by Flacy
Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:55 pm
Betzy, I must agree with your previous poster ... focus on the music, not the people. If the disagreements you and you band mates are having is generated by the passion you feel for the music, don't sweat it. It will work out. Regardless of the band I was in, we always had disagreements. It was only when disagreements arose from self-absorbed pride and egotism that I moved on. I made a living (such as it was) for eleven years by playing music and I have always considered myself an average player. I think that what usually got me the gig is not so much my playing ability, but that my passion for the music was visible. I couldn't help it.

On a side note, it is OK to have passion for the law, or teaching, or flying, or writing, or rocket science, or being an auto mechanic. Passion that I found in computer science sustained me until I could rediscover my passion for music. I think it is only sad when we do things we have no passion for. What we do is irrelevant. So if your passion is music, then focus on the music and love every minute of it. Rock out.
#4253 by Douglas Flaherty
Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:44 am
Formidablefoe wrote:You know, when you're starting out, just getting the band together was

That would suck...

Like I would let that ever happen

Betzy

Shoulda become a lawyer
#10222 by JJW III
Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:29 pm
dereckv wrote:
Formidablefoe wrote:You know, when you're starting out, just getting the band together was

That would suck...

Like I would let that ever happen

Betzy

Shoulda become a lawyer

Yea, become a lawyer. It is easier getting some one off for murder then finding people to play with.

#11466 by The Extremes
Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:37 am
The road to success IS tough but the key is to stay with it.
Get yourself rock solid, get a band that is rock solid and take it one step at a time. Someday you will be playing onstage and thinking to yourself during that chorus..."wow!...remember when I was doing this and that years ago and look at me now" Progress happens but not overnight.

#13000 by jw123
Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:33 pm
Ive been in and out of music for years.

In the early 90s I was in a real good club band and I guess I was the manager booking agent. On the weekends we werent playing I would go to clubs and try to get us booked. My wife (at the time) was an accountant. For some reason a lot of club owners wouldnt believe or give our band a shot at a gig playing for the door, but my wife wound up getting work doing accounting work for 3 or 4 clubs.

I probably could have told these cats I was a doctor and they would have believed me, but they couldnt believe I had a decent band.

As far as road storys, we used to play a place in Little Rock that was really tough to get the crowd going in. Im wailing on the guitar laying on my back playing with my teeth, the whole bit and our singer comes over and says "Did you fart?". After the song someone in the crowd yells "Did you fart?". They heard him over the mic and all night long after that they were going nuts. "Did You Fart?" I guess we do what weve got to do.

#13006 by Starfish Scott
Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:31 pm
JW123, that story is f**k up..

#17062 by FastFret
Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:07 pm
did you fart... haha funny sh@t

#19509 by citizen320
Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:18 pm
jw123 wrote:
As far as road storys, we used to play a place in Little Rock that was really tough to get the crowd going in. Im wailing on the guitar laying on my back playing with my teeth, the whole bit and our singer comes over and says "Did you fart?". After the song someone in the crowd yells "Did you fart?". They heard him over the mic and all night long after that they were going nuts. "Did You Fart?" I guess we do what weve got to do.

LOLZ

#21419 by HowlinJ
Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:32 pm
I,(like J.W.) have also been in and out of bands for years. (since the mid 60's) This thread has got me to thinking what's the farthest I've actually traveled to play. To the best of my memory, it was back in the early 80's with my band "Tentative Relationship". We drove from the Poconos (north east P.A.), to East Orange N.J. to play live on WFMU radio. I posted an old recording of that band on my profile,"Misguided Madness". Living in a "resort area" does have some benefits if your a "stay at home player". I never really cared too much about "going on the road". Got too much to do right here! What may be regarded as my greatest musical success was getting my record "I Like Ronnie's Hair" by the "Philabusters" played on WNBC, New York, by Howard Stern. I't also charted on Dr. Demento. :oops:
#171900 by 91LesPaul
Wed May 02, 2012 10:21 am
To Formidablefoe:

Hey, I live in Fairfield, PA. and want to touch base with you. I'm not signing up for the Premier membership on Bandmix, so I can't contact you through there.

My band is looking for a new Bass player and Drummer, but I saw you mention something about recording. We have a little set up for recording, by no way Professional and by no way do I really know what I'm doing (learning as I go), but just wanted to throw something out and say "Hey" since we only live a few miles apart. I live directly across the street from Ventura's in Fairfield.

Email me at [email protected]

#171918 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 02, 2012 2:28 pm
Dude!! I know you're new here - you need to look at the dates on the post. The guy you're looking at posted this in 2006 and is no longer here!

#172042 by 91LesPaul
Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 pm
I know, but saw on their page they had been active within the month, and was hoping by posting in this discussion they would receive an email stating that someone posted in the thread.

I know, I'm reaching, but..................