This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#16833 by Blondie
Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:51 pm
Mazzy Star is like.. psychedelic folk/dreampop
Skeeter Davis is a country singer from the 1950's
Simon and Garfunkel were huge in the 60s/70s as arock/folk rock duo
Gilbert O'Sullivan is a singer/songwriter in the same vein as Dylan..
The Dead Boys were a punk band from Ohio in the mid 70's

Also, Ain't It Fun was actually written by Peter Laughner of "Rocket From The Tombs"..

I'm only 19, so please don't have a go at me if any of the above information is incorrect.. it's all accurate as far as I know.

=)

#16834 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:18 pm
I am 19 also. So I have no grounds to attack, lol. So yeah. Now I see why I do not know who those bands are. I do not listen to those genres usually. I listen mainly to heavy metal.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#16835 by Blondie
Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:26 pm
I'm a rocker, check out www.myspace.com/peepshowroxx

I just have a pretty diverse taste =)

Oh f**k, if no-one mentioned it,

Leonard Cohen - Suzanne

..... absolutely f**k beautiful.

About a woman who went from being the wife of a famous architect to being a vagrant on the streets of San Fransisco (where she remains)..

My main love is rock'n'roll, glam rock, classic rock etc, but this is a thread about sad songs and I generally find folk music to be the most emotional genre (in my opinion)

#16836 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Blondie wrote:I'm a rocker, check out www.myspace.com/peepshowroxx

I just have a pretty diverse taste =)

Oh f**k, if no-one mentioned it,

Leonard Cohen - Suzanne

..... absolutely f**k beautiful.

About a woman who went from being the wife of a famous architect to being a vagrant on the streets of San Fransisco (where she remains)..

My main love is rock'n'roll, glam rock, classic rock etc, but this is a thread about sad songs and I generally find folk music to be the most emotional genre (in my opinion)

Cool. That band is not bad sounding on MySpace. I found a metal band the other day who was not half bad, I was like "No one has signed you to a record label yet?" Lol. For a new metal band they were pretty cool.

But I see the style of music you listen to. I like a lot of classic rock, but the glam-metal thing is not me. The whole Warrent, Quiet Riot, Motley Crew, thing, is just not my style. Bon Jovi (Who I am not sure we can call glam) is alright though. But I love classic rock, play a lot of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Beatles, etc...

My main game is the heavy metal, so Metallica has always been a favorite. However, I love the bands of the 90's, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Guns and Roses (GnR), Collective Soul, and so on and so forth.

#16839 by Blondie
Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:48 pm
I'm into Motley Crue, Guns'n'Roses etc.. I think they're different from glam bands such as Bon Jovi, Warrant, etc.

But yeah I'm into all that, the Stones, Zeppelin etc, punk bands such as the Misfits, New York Dolls.. then everything else, country, folk, soul..

It helps alot, I wouldn't be able to work if I only focused on one style of music.. you need to be versatile to work as a session musician.

#16840 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:01 pm
Blondie wrote:I'm into Motley Crue, Guns'n'Roses etc.. I think they're different from glam bands such as Bon Jovi, Warrant, etc.

But yeah I'm into all that, the Stones, Zeppelin etc, punk bands such as the Misfits, New York Dolls.. then everything else, country, folk, soul..

It helps alot, I wouldn't be able to work if I only focused on one style of music.. you need to be versatile to work as a session musician.

Correction, you need to be versatile as any kind of musician, lol. I play many genres even though I am into metal. I play Latin music, techno, but my specialty is Middle Eastern. I am very big on playing pieces with that Middle Eastern vibe to them.

I think it is important for any musician to branch themselves out. If you stick to just one format of music you will never achieve what you are looking for in my opinion.

#17285 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:36 am
Forget the radio and love songs, I think life is depressing at times period. *Shrug*

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#17286 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:17 am
Guitaranatomy wrote:Correction, you need to be versatile as any kind of musician, lol. I play many genres even though I am into metal. I play Latin music, techno, but my specialty is Middle Eastern. I am very big on playing pieces with that Middle Eastern vibe to them. .

I didn't know that about you...I'm a real fan of MidEast music. My favorite styles are Jordanian, Morrocan, Egyptian and Lebanese. Check out Farid Al Atareche sometime.

#17289 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:32 am
Alright man, thanks. I have been wondering where to start listening to some good stuff, I will check this guy out soon.

Yeah though, I love Middle Eastern, I do not know what country to specify it too. But it is more so that Arabian sound (I think it is called this). I want to start studying it more so and transcribing pieces to the guitar.

#17301 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:50 am
Then you'll dig Farid Al Atareche. He is probably the greatest oud player in recent history. Have you ever played an oud? It's the Arab forerunner to the guitar.

#17303 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:51 am
I want to learn how to play the oud, especially after watching him. Thank you for the recommendation, that guy is amazing. I have already begun ear tabbing pieces of his songs. *Thumbs up*

#17775 by neanderpaul
Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:09 am
Elvis Costello - So like candy
:cry:

#17778 by Irminsul
Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:27 am
Guitaranatomy wrote:I want to learn how to play the oud, especially after watching him. Thank you for the recommendation, that guy is amazing. I have already begun ear tabbing pieces of his songs. *Thumbs up*

Good for you. We are auditioning an oud player here for the ensemble, in January.

#17780 by Craig Maxim
Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:37 am
Irminsul wrote: Check out Farid Al Atareche sometime.

Are you spelling that right? Can't find anything on Google, even without the quotes????