This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#166027 by chanratt
Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 pm
I am 41 and have gotten to the point where I have raised my kids and now have time to join a band. I've played guitar for 20 years on and off, but never too seriously as I traveled a lot in my 20's and raised a family in my 30's. So right now I have decided to pick up the bass as bass players are in short supply in my area and it would be much easier to get into a band....also, I'm not saying bass is easier but I think for myself it would be less pressure. See, I have almost no experience of playing out and playing in bands but want to change that. I am wondering what my best option would be? Just to get a few like minded musicians together to jam and start from the very bottom (i've done this a couple of times and never got off the ground) or just jump in at the deep end and join a soon to be gigging band?

#166028 by jw123
Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:09 pm
LOL, if only it were that easy to just jump into a soon to be gigging band!

I would suggest getting a drum machine to play with and really learn how to lock into the different drum beats and patterns.

Also being a guitarist first, you need to decide if you really want to be a bass player, bass isnt really any easier, in fact to me its hard to get locked in with a drummer and hold a band together, yeah to me bass is the glue that holds it together.

Your best option would be to just find some garage jammers and start playing with them and make sure you can handle the instrument.

Good Luck

#166039 by Christopher Holmes
Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm
While it is true that bass players are generally in short supply, it's even more true that GOOD bass players are harder to find.

If you really want to get into a gigging band, the best thing you can do is be the BEST at your instrument. Because nothing will get you a steady stream of work faster than simply being a great player with your instrument and a great band mate.

The bass player in my current band is hands down the best bassist I've ever played with. Guy is a lock all night long; never misses a note. If you can do that, by all means, take up the bass and make that your goal.

But like JW said - bass is not guitar. If you are a guitarist at heart, it's gonna suck. As much as I enjoy performing, I could never take up the bass just to play in a band. I enjoy the guitar too much. Make sure bass is where you want to be.

Because it's a different instrument and there's a different relationship with the drummer.

#166043 by AyrTrayn
Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:30 pm
If your going to play R&R get your wallet out lol

Bass takes a lot more amplification, cheapest way to get that is modular like our setup but it's still over $1k. without a guitar at least Bass's are cheaper than guitars lol not to mention the size and weight of the cabinets (Acoustic B410 400w 82.9 pounds)
Over the years I've met guys that have $10k tied up in their gear so a grand might not be much to some folks but ......... Efficiency vs $$ vs size vs weight. it's a great instrument JW is correct
Not many cars can hold a Ampeg 810 cabinet 165 pounds a 410 wont fit either

#166047 by jw123
Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:42 pm
Ayr our bassist has all sorts of equipment, but he recently bought a Hartke with 2x10's. I think its around 450-500 watts, he used it at stage stop the other night, the first time Ive played with him on that rig and it sounded great, and if youve been in Stage Stop you know they crank it up in there.

But you are right, a good bass amp will set you back around 1K.

I think just some basic lessons might be in order also, to make sure you know what your doing, the worst thing you can do is go audition for someone and not really know how to play, no matter what instrument you want to play, there are no shortcuts. If you audtion make sure you know backwards and forewards, 5-10 songs that they request.

Ive been playing in bands since I was 12, I spent 5 years playing bass at one time or the other, I just prefer guitar. Bass makes my arms and hands hurt, but I always played real physical on it.

#166049 by AyrTrayn
Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm
Hey JW I was wondering if that was his rig in the pic yeah I've heard some little monsters, but they cost $$$$. To get compact is expensive. There's a rule on Bass that there is no money above the 5th fret. Lessons are a good idea even if your a great guitarist. Bass is a different animal than guitar I can fool some folks with one, but Ivan started with Bass his style is more of a Jazz player. My hearing is not able to detect the very bottom of the scale on a 5string even less the 4string. As we grow older we lose top and bottom of our hearing.

#166050 by Slacker G
Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 pm
My first job playing in a band was bass. I never even picked up one before but I was playing pool with the bass player in the band. He was supposed to get paid when the boss came in at 10AM. But the boss didn't show until 7 PM and he was pretty burned out and didn't want to play. He asked me if I would take his place, but I told him I didn't know how to play bass. He told me that it was just like playing the bottom 4 strings of a guitar. I said I didn't want to play because I wouldn't know what to do. Then he told me what the job paid. I got up and within two songs I had the basics down. On the break he said I could have the gig if I wanted it. I said I didn't have the equipment. Then he told me I could use his gear until I got a bass and amp.

The bottom line is that after a couple of weeks I was "in demand" and quite a few bands asked me if I would play bass for them. I played bass for 5 years before anyone knew that I played guitar. When they heard me play lead one night I had offers for both lead and bass until the day I quit playing in clubs.

Keep it basic, don't step on anyones toes, and you should do just fine. It just isn't that hard to learn the basics if you set your mind to do it.

Now if you want to be a great bass player, that's a different story. You have to learn to think like a bass player. And that isn't quite as easy. Guitar pickers tend to over play sometimes, and they have to remember to keep it in the lower register and not try to play "Lead" on the bass. :)

#166051 by AirViking
Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 pm
if you have no bass experience why would a serious band consider you?
Anyone can pick up a bass and play root notes with a pick, but you wouldn't be playing bass, you'd be playing a huge guitar, very lazy.

To get serious on bass you must:
Work on at least 3 finger plucking (4 is ideal)
work on doubling (tripling is for pros)
work on poly rhythmic tapping lines
work on slap pop
work on poly rhythmic slap pop

After you get this out of the way you'll only be about intermediate at bass. Still lots of room to tighten things up and more advanced techniques to go through, each one very different from the last.

So how can people still think bass is easier than guitar?

#166053 by chanratt
Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 pm
Well, I don't play with a pick, I play with 3 fingers. The only reason I think I could manage a bass is that I have been playing it and seem to have a good enough handle on it. I can and have practiced with a lot of different songs and jam tracks. I know it is a different animal that guitar, but I dunno, it just feels natural to me.
But then again, maybe I'm wrong. But That's why I am asking what approach should I take. Should I try out for a band or learn from the ground up in a jam-like environment. I don't mean to insult anyone by assuming it would be really easy or anything and apologize if that's the impression I have given so far. Sometimes forum posts are lost in translation. But I am listening to what you all say. Maybe I should just stick to guitar? I don't know, but thanks for all your advice so far. :D

#166062 by AirViking
Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:34 pm
if it feels natural you may have found a new primary.
I am a bass player. So much so in fact, that I cannot play guitar.
I've spent time on double bass too.

It all really depends on your talent level and what you can contribute.
I would say that you should sit down with a metronome until you can do all of the things I listed.

I would only consider myself a mediocre player but I usually get showered with compliments on my playing (no matter how sloppy it is.) And all I do is the list I already listed with a little more (like tripling instead of doubles)

Also as a bass player, you are the connection between the guitars and drums. That means you are the cornerstone of the band, and if you follow the triangle of sound, you will learn that a talented bass player will make the world of difference in a band.

#166069 by Shapeshifter
Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 pm
Since you are starting on a new instrument, I would suggest that you go with, as you said "like minded musicians" to jam. It will give you a better chance to learn the bass without pressure.
As far as getting to know the bass, there are lots of different practice exercises, from the techniques that AirViking suggested, to just listening to other players. When I started playing (I, too, am 41 and have been playing for 20 years-but on bass rather than guitar), I had no idea what the bass was even supposed to sound like. Also, we were playing originals, so there was no pre-recorded guide for me to learn from. Slacker mentioned thinking like a bass player, and that's he's absolutely correct about that. The function of the instrument varies from holding down the bottom end to rythym; sometimes it is the basis for the song (Primus or Rush) and sometimes it's flat out lead (Billy Sheehan).
I love playing bass, and I think the key to it is to approach it as something new. If you think of it as a guitar, or just holding down the low end, or just playing root notes, I think you are only limiting the experience. Don't be afraid to play it "wrong". I watched a documentary recently about a guy that played bass "the wrong way." His name was John Entwistle...(Hopefully vou've heard of him).

#166128 by AyrTrayn
Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:53 pm
Noel Redding was a guitarist ................ Slacker G's story sounds pretty common, and like Geddy Lee says it's not some noble profession.

The difference between pros and amateurs is their Hat size.
Depending on the style music you want to play, there is no competition except for maybe a piano player with a heavy left hand.

There are not enough Bass players so I say go with what you feel and you can feel Bass.

Metronome (Boss/Metronome/tuner)

#166153 by Prevost82
Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm
AyrTrayn wrote:The difference between pros and amateurs is their Hat size. (Boss/Metronome/tuner)

Really ????????? I guess you haven't played with any pro's

#166166 by Shapeshifter
Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 pm
Um...my hat is pretty big...I mean, jus' look at it!

Jus' Kiddin'. :lol:

I actually lost that hat last year on a kayaking trip. :(

I still have my cape, though. Oh, wrong thread, sorry. :oops:

#166207 by nayrb_eman
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 am
Prevost82 wrote:
AyrTrayn wrote:The difference between pros and amateurs is their Hat size. (Boss/Metronome/tuner)

Really ????????? I guess you haven't played with any pro's

big hat ............eh?