This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#11316 by mistermikev
Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:33 pm
love the cray... love 'strong persuader'

but who the hell let a bass player in there???????????????????

#11323 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 pm
I love Yngwie Malmsteen but he's far from the fastest. Even in his younger days, there were guys like Al DiMeola who could hold their own against Yngwie in speed if they so chose.

Angelo is a carnival act. lol. Seriously. When he plays normally, his picking is incredible. He implements strong alternate picking and even has economy picking under his belt to an extent but the double-guitar thing is a joke. It used to amaze the crap out of me but with what I know of guitar now and who all I know of, Angelo's double-guitar is a sloppy act. Everything is symmetrical and sloppy. He hits just the right notes to make it sound credible. That's not to say it's not a talent because the man can play pretty strong lead with both hands individually but go listen to guys like Stanley Jordan or Anthony Mazzella. THAT is true 2-handed talent. Not to mention all the other incredible 2-handed talents such as Justin King, Kaki King, Andy McKee, Tommy Emmanuel... the list goes on and on.

If you're looking for pure speed that blows Yngwie away, go listen to early Racer X albums. Paul Gilbert, in his prime, was just... WOW. If you want to take it to the next level with speed, go listen to guys like Ron Thal (Bumblefoot), Fabrizio Leo, Greg Howe, Richie Kotzen, Frank Gambale, Marshall Harrison, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman (Back in his Cacophony days with Becker, he was just insanely fast), Shawn Lane, Francesco Ferreri (who I can't stand but he's fast), Rusty Cooley, Richard Daude, Charly Sahona, Derek Taylor, Scott Stine, Scott Mischoe, Chris Impelliteri, Guthrie Govan, Buckethead (Yes, Buckethead... especially in his early days before he got famous when he was taking lessons from Paul Gilbert. WOW, he was insanely fast), Ron Jarzombek (of Watchtower and Spastic Ink fame), man, I could seriously go on and on and on and on for days. And yes, for as boring (although amazing-sounding!) as I find his composition to be, Michael Angelo blew Yngwie away in speed when he was in his prime. Have you heard John Petrucci these days? There are a couple of solos on the latest Dream Theater album that are just... man. UNBELIEVABLE. Mike mentioned Steve Morse and yes - he's absolutely a monster, too.

Now, even though neoclassical guitarists are a dime a dozen and they inevitably always get compared to Yngwie, NOT A SINGLE ONE of ANY neoclassical guitarist has ever composed as well as Yngwie composes, IMHO. The only other neoclassical guitarist I can stand (I mean, who I actually don't get bored listening to) is George Bellas. Check out his album Mind's Eye. Oh, and Vinnie Moore is a freakin' monster as well. Actually, as I think about it, there are a few I enjoy... Michael Romeo (of Symphony X fame) has an old solo album that's really awesome. Guys like Joe Stump bore me, though. I know the guy is reputable and he's an instructor at Berklee but his compositions just really bore me. Here again, though, this is just a matter of personal preference. To a lot of people, neoclassical is neoclassical but that's a ridiculous thought to admit thinking if that's the way you see it. You simply need more exposure but if you're not that interested in the style, then it's best to just go with what you know and love.

Anyway... There are waaaaayyyy too many amazing guitarists out there and they're all very different. There is no greatest, I don't feel. There's only guitarists you like and guitarists you don't like. Yes, some are better than others and some are memorable for their music but simply put, there are just too many great guitarists out there to find out about for anyone to limit themselves to feeling like there's a greatest. That's how I feel about it. Being able to choose a greatest is like saying "I give up looking for someone who writes music that I'm going to enjoy more than so-and-so." Expand your horizons! Your favorite music is waiting out there for you - you just have to find it. =) That's not to say we all don't have our classic vices which, for me, is Rush, hands-down.

I think you guys get what I'm saying, though.

-Stephen

#11341 by mistermikev
Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:31 am
Yes Stanley Jordan is awesome... I actually like to hear "stairway to heavon" by him... and pretty much hate it by any other musician.

you are pretty much spot on with angelo by calling him novelty act... but he sure is novel isn't he? You have to respect a guy who can play equally well lefty or righty... but it's just one trick and gets old fast...

love me some buckethead too... and paul gilbert, marty friedman, don't like gambale, becker, but no one you mentioned is clean like morse, not that he is my fav or anything... but he really does play incredibly fast incredibly clean... that's all technique. That point/counterpoint thing he does rivals any classical composition I have ever heard in complexity... if you haven't heard it... he is playing 1 gtr like 2 gtr players... much more impressive than angelos playing 2 gtrs like 1 guitarist... here the song and you will instantly know what i mean...

and since there are some bass players in here... stu hamm does a pretty mean version of the charlie brown theme... I never could master that... the rythm and the lead... it's just so awesome!

#11349 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:24 am
MrMikeV wrote:but no one you mentioned is clean like morse, not that he is my fav or anything... but he really does play incredibly fast incredibly clean... that's all technique. That point/counterpoint thing he does rivals any classical composition I have ever heard in complexity...

Morse is great but there are plenty of guys on that list who are at least as clean as Morse. With the point/counterpoint, or pedal tone, stuff, Vinnie Moore is equally as impressive. When it comes to the picking, Shawn Lane had just about every player out there trumped with what he could pick. Watch these two videos. While they aren't the full representation by any means of what these guys can do, they're a good starting point for you to pick up from here and really delve into:

Vinnie Moore: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fr2-tDPe8v8 (I wish there was a clip of his section in that video regarding pedal tones. He does some SERIOUS damage, man)

Shawn Lane: http://youtube.com/watch?v=57q5zdvMw58 (It's legato at first but then he picks everything you hear as fast as he can do it legato. Simply amazing - he died too early.)

Man, and guys like Fabrizio Leo... here, go to his MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/fabrizioleo

Click on the last song "Demo for Chitarrist" and listen closely at that stuff. The outro lick, in particular, is an insane demonstration of incredibly clean picking.

I guess I'm curious as to what you mean when you say no one on that list is as clean as Morse. At WORST, a lot of the guys on that list are EQUALLY as clean although they might not have the same style, you could flip that coin around and say that Morse can't even begin to touch some of the technique a lot of these other guys are doing cleanly. Define "clean" for me a little more so that I can gauge exactly what you're talking about. =)

-Stephen

#11371 by mistermikev
Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:36 pm
ok, they say the human ear can only distinguish up to a certain speed of note and I believe that's true... but when morse plays fast I swear I can distinguish every little note... it's clean... he picks every note with the same attack and same pronounced sound... that's the best I can explain it... take vai for instance... a relatively fast player... but not nearly as distinguishable when he plays fast. Again I'm not a huge morse fan... I like him but I like many others more...
vinnie moore video: hammer on and pull offs all over the place... sweep picking often incorporates this technique... still a good video... just not clean. same thing with the other utube vid I watched...
but then I went looking for a morse vid to show you what I mean... but all the live vids I found didn't really show it... I guess he doesn't really acomplish what he can do in the studio in a live setting. I am thinking of recordings mostly off of southern steel... and if you give morse code or sev others a listen you'll hear what I mean.

AFA point counterpoint, have you heard the song I'm talking about? It's not a peddletone, at least not in the traditional sense...
he actually plays the bassline at the sm time as the melody... very much like bouree -vals nr2. it actually sounds like he's got a bass player cause he's using his gtr synth setup on the low e and a string - with a bass gtr sound... there are some utube vids of this type of stuff.... truly amazing.

#12093 by Scottmac
Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:19 am
I personnaly think Joe Satriani and Steve Vai and of course Malmsteen were outstanding but it also depends on the era. Rhoads, SRV, Eddie Van Halen, but as far as doing the impossible Hendrix.

#12317 by mindmelters
Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:17 am
they are all great but who cares , you can be the greatest guitar player i fell jerry in omm is the greatest . do , it , be it feel it omm

#14705 by OompahLoompah
Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:47 am
Hendrix. He made love to a guitar like no one else. It was pure emotion. If you haven't heard it, get "Blues" My favorite on it: Born Under a Bad Sign.

#15208 by Ibanezrg1982
Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:27 am
Dave Mustaine.

#15453 by khart_ian
Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:01 am
Matthew Bellamy

Yeah, thats right, not only is he original and pioneering, but he always looks like hes having fun, a quality that most big rock stars do not retain.

#15479 by jw123
Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:01 pm
I would name 3

Hendrix, Page, Van Halen

#16443 by Cary Smith
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:58 am
There are so many great guitarist out there. We all know that there is no way to say who is the very best. What we do know is which ones that have influenced us the most personally.

I've had my favorites over the years and seen a lot of different bands and awesome guitar players but the most memorable was getting to shake Chat Atkin's hand and watch him play 3 songs on an acoustic from about 10' away. What an experience!!! Leo Fender was with him too but he didn't play anything.

I always gave Tom Scholz of "Boston" a lot of credit because he was making his own sounds but what I didn't realize until about a year ago was that Les Paul invented things like multi track recording and tape echo. I was just blown away that I'd never heard anything about that before. We owe him for the way that we record today. How great is that?

#16445 by Cary Smith
Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 am
By the way I don't think anyone has mention Steve Lukather the guitarist for Toto. He's played on hundreds of albums. According to Wikipedia he's played as a studio session guitarist, has arranged, composed, and recorded on over 800 number one albums. He did hold the Guinness Book for it but I don't know if he still does.

Here's some pretty cool links!

Steve Lukather - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoMcA1sXyCw

Chet Atkins - http://youtube.com/watch?v=8O2sMZGjCjY&feature=related

Randy Rhoads - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOMtp-JNE8

#16446 by Guitaranatomy
Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:18 am
Best guitarist? Well, that is of our time, I would say probably was Jimi Hendrix. He is severely intricate and remember he did not know music theory I hear, plus I think he was self-taught (Correct me if I am wrong).

Not to be offensive, but Van Halen is by far not one of the best ever. He is good, but definitely far from the best ever. Nor is Dave Mustaine the best. I mean think about what we are saying here, the best ever? It is hard to say that is real. The best guitarist though are not ours, they are probably all of the classical guitarists of the 19th century.

If I had to personally list them, I would say the following top eight:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eric Clapton
3. B.B. King
4. Jimmy Page
5. Duane Allman
6. Keith Richards
7. Stevie Ray Vaughan
8. George Harrison (Extremely talented and never given the credit he deserved)

Those are the real guitarist, not the Yngwie's, the Batio's, Rhoads, Mustaine's. None of those guys are great like that, these are shredders, and in my book shredders are not the same as these guys. They have no place in the top ten of greatest guitarists counts.

On the contrary, here are the top 8 metal/speed/shred guitarists (And no I am not going by their speed as the primary!):

1. Randy Rhoads
2. Kirk Hammett (I have been playing his stuff for a while, there is nothing like it in my book.)
3. Dimebag Darrell
4. Dave Mustaine
5. Buckethead
6. Slash
7. Yngwie Malmsteen
8. Eddie Van Halen

So yeah, these are the best in my opinion. However, I have much to learn, so yeah. The guitar is not an easy instrument. I have never considered shredders like Michael Angelo Batio the true talents of our time. In my opinion, speed does not make the guitarist, it is just a good weapon in the arsenal. Sorry if any of this comes off belligerent, I mean no harm, just opinion. *Shrug*

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.