This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#163770 by JCP61
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 am
what bullshit

#163805 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:41 pm
you ought to be ashamed of yourself, Jimmy Bleu

Making money off a dead hero's name is pretty low. You want to do a tribute band? Go ahead...hundred of people have done it. But you aren't the second coming of Jimi, no matter how many "films" you make claiming to be.

#163855 by JazzAnarchy
Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:41 pm
Come on, that's pretty funny.

#163858 by Etu Malku
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:03 am
Epic Fail

#163876 by PaperDog
Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:59 am
I really dont see what the big deal is...

I have personally witnessed that there are bands in Olongopo, Philippines who Cover Led Zepplin so good, that if you stepped outside you'd think it was the real Zepplin...
Those guy guys put every inch of their heart and soul into trying to capture and master that essence...Its more than just being a tribute band..
So this dude Jimmy Bleu absorbs the role and wants to tell the world he was possessed by Hendrix's spirit...

I once though I had been possessed by Groucho Marx's spirit...But...at that time...he hadn't died yet. :shock:

#163883 by Bleu
Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 am
It's interesting........I have this link posted in countless places online & off & in the ONE place, Bandmix, that is supposed to be a sharing space for the mutual respect of musicians, this link attracts some pathetic losers..... Kinda makes one go Hhhmmmmm~!

Simply put, I am an entertainer (musician, producer, filmmaker, actor) who is advertising a film.... Keep in mind that this film is only a movie I'm acting in~!!!!..........I know who I am as a person/artist.

'This dude' Jimy Bleu has been doing a Hendrix tribute world-wide now in its 44th non-stop year, starting when I was a member of Jimi's fan club while a junior in high school in 1968. In fact, it was myself & another member who was responsible for Jimi speaking at my high school (Performing Arts in NYC) for an informal assembly. Jimi never knew my name personally, but he took his fan club core VERY seriously, always advising us & talking about the progression of music.

For over 30 years I've been also doing lecture-demonstrations on radio, TV & college campuses, expounding the musical, spiritual & political importance of Hendrix. I make it a point at these lectures to bring out facts about Jimi that are NOT in the bios or are glossed over when mentioned (such as Jimi meeting with Sun Ra twice, him meeting with Rashaan Kirk twice not once, what Jimi & Stevie Wonder talked about after their jam which Stevie told me was more important than the jam itself, his close friendship with Quincy Jones who is responsible for getting Jim & Miles Davis back together after Miles wanted to hurt Jimi for sleeping with Betty Davis altho' Miles STILL replaced Jimi with John McLaughlin on "Bitches Brew", Jimi's SECOND kidnapping after which Velvert Turner hid him out for a week because Jimi was beat up badly... I could go on & on but you get the point).

My tribute band "Voodoo Child" has performed in major venues across the globe, which has included the Woodstock 25th anniversary "Freedom Fest" (as featured act), Atlanta Pop Festival, Reggae Sun Splash, MTV-sponsored 'Rock The Vote Tour', and numerous radio promotional concerts. Also on German TV, BBC TV in London and MTV as well as opening for some of the top names in the rock scene, such as Foghat, Slade, Aerosmith & Graham Central Station.....

Some footage from these venues is included in the trailer & STILL to this day, this tribute band is banned by the Hendrix Estate (who shut down my off-Broadway play on Jimi with a court order), as well as major booking agents/managers. This ban goes quite deep, since even when I was a recording artist with Columbia/Def Jam records & Russell Simmons was my manager, doors were STILL closed to me regarding my involvement with Jimi.

I say all of this to say that I believe I know 'a little something' about Jimi & his music.....& advertising on sites like this is my way of 'guerrilla marketing' when most other avenues are closed to me. On my weekly FM radio show, I have been blessed to have interviewed many folks involved with Jimi (a few of them are my close friends) who sincerely support my commitment to his legacy.

If it pisses some folks off here, I can't help that & perhaps yall better get on with your own lives, because these days it's REAL tough to break into the industry, so you better be coming with something that is unique.

#163884 by JCP61
Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:24 am
what bullshit

#163890 by fisherman bob
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:24 am
You obviously worship the guy and that's great. Look at all the Elvis impersonators, Vaughan clones, Beatlemania, etc. Personally I think it's weird doing a tribute thing. I even think it's weird being in a cover band that doesn't do any of their own stuff. Sounds like you've had a long career, hopefully enjoy it, and in some respects kept up the legacy of Hendrix. Personally I think tribute bands are weird.

#163892 by Jahva
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:24 pm
:shock: I didn't know if this was serious or some schitck.
I get your angle, I think :| No offense but I still think it comes off kind of schitcky like Dave Chapelle doing Prince or Rick James.

#163901 by jimmydanger
Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:28 pm
I did a Hendrix tribute back in the 80's, Jimi was a major influence on my playing and I spent many hours learning his licks. That said, the tribute was short-lived because, frankly, I grew bored with it (I've also done a Zeppelin tribute, same result). There's nothing wrong with it but for me it just didn't have enough to hold my interest. I like to create new music and combine all of my influences to stretch my playing. The world is a big enough place for all types of music and musician, so if it's your thing rock on.

BTW I saw the other Hendrix bio, it was horrible. Hope yours is better.

I still do Hendrix tunes occasionally, because people love it. Right now "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" but "Message to Love" is my favorite.

#163903 by Etu Malku
Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 pm
Back in the 90's when I was opening up for John Paul Jones in Europe, I'm pretty sure this guy was there also in Den Hague Holland at the Crossing Borders Festival . . . no one was paying attention.

Let's see . . . I've played with Jimi's brother Leon and I was also in a back up band for Buddy Miles at BB Kings in NYC . . . thought it was pretty cool meeting them both.

There's a Hendrix show every year at BB's with some very cool people that played with and are associated with Jimi.

The promoter David Kramer also has the definitive film on Hendrix in the works, I hope he gets it our some day, he's got some awesome rare/never seen before interviews.

#163908 by jimmydanger
Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:12 pm
I met Billy Cox at Experience Hendrix last year. I was surprised how few people wanted to meet him, everyone wants to meet the guitar gods but the bass players get ignored lol.

#163912 by Etu Malku
Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:55 pm
jimmydanger wrote:I met Billy Cox at Experience Hendrix last year. I was surprised how few people wanted to meet him, everyone wants to meet the guitar gods but the bass players get ignored lol.
Hell of a bassist

#163914 by fisherman bob
Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm
Living vicariously through another musician your ENTIRE career is sad in a way. What happened to any of your original ideas along the way? (That is if you had any to begin with)...