This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1627 by Auburn Diva
Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:56 am
I agree! If all I wanted was to be heard & not replied to, I'd tell my therapist! :lol:

#1628 by RhythmMan
Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:43 am
Hey, Ruby/Auburn/Julie . . .,
Wasn't it you that mentioned the site 'Music Finder?'
I checked it out - & signed up. Pretty good site -I actually saw people close by.

Hard to believe that I missed it, with all the hours of searching I did for music sites.
I think this one is still the best.
Alan
ps.
Hey, are all the female singers in america down in Florida? :)
Lately, I talked to 'Just De," Bluesguitargirl," "Kaleigh"... and I see you're there, too. I think you're all different styles, though . . .

#1646 by Auburn Diva
Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:21 pm
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that one out.
I don't listen to the snobs anymore; I lost 10 years of my true calling because I listened. Now I've come into my own & I'm ready for anything! Things are finally starting to happen for me, & even though I've had a few setbacks I'm optomistic & looking forward to the ride of my life!

#1647 by RhythmMan
Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:16 pm
Julie,
Funny - I was away from playing music for about 10 years, too - got bored playing the same old songs, I guess (I play acoustic, electric, & Bass).
Got back into it about 2 years ago, and I've doubled my skills since.
It's been extremely rewarding for me - now I'm into music more than I've ever been in my entire life.
The music just flows in and out of me, and I've been writing new songs - GOOD songs - almost at will.
And I can write them 10 times faster than I can LEARN them. I've been recording them on cassette, to listen to when I'm out of ideas and want to play a new song . . .
I'm not TRYING to write new songs - but I just keep tripping over them . . .

Nothing has happened for me yet - got a few bites, but I'm having big troubles finding accomlished musicians nearby.
Best of luck
Alan/Samick etc.
Last edited by RhythmMan on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

#1652 by Auburn Diva
Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:32 pm
There are lots of talented musicians, but most are either
A: already in a band & not willing to leave
B: Think they're David Chastain or Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai & want it to be the "Lead Guitar Show"
C: Play blues ONLY
D: have roots & aren't as committed as I am
or some combination of the above.

I took a 10-year hiatus from music because I allowed my husband (& others) to convince me that nobody wanted a chick in their band unless they were... well, you get the idea. I really regret losing that prime time; now I'm older & less marketable, but I'm still giving it all I've got. I'm starting to get a following in the area even though my band has only played out a few times. I'm getting label interest, & I'm heading into the studio next week. So... where would I be if only...? Guess I'll never know. I have a lot of time to make up for, but one thing I've learned is that if something is in your heart, FOLLOW IT WITH ALL YOU'VE GOT!

#1654 by lovegood77
Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:15 am
Auburn Diva wrote:There are lots of talented musicians, but most are either
A: already in a band & not willing to leave
B: Think they're David Chastain or Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai & want it to be the "Lead Guitar Show"
C: Play blues ONLY
D: have roots & aren't as committed as I am
or some combination of the above.

I took a 10-year hiatus from music because I allowed my husband (& others) to convince me that nobody wanted a chick in their band unless they were... well, you get the idea. I really regret losing that prime time; now I'm older & less marketable, but I'm still giving it all I've got. I'm starting to get a following in the area even though my band has only played out a few times. I'm getting label interest, & I'm heading into the studio next week. So... where would I be if only...? Guess I'll never know. I have a lot of time to make up for, but one thing I've learned is that if something is in your heart, FOLLOW IT WITH ALL YOU'VE GOT!
Ruby, I gotta say If you know "wee wee" (I M) as we used to call him u have knowlege of what Im after........80's Heavy Metal.................would like to chat if it is alright with your significant other..................who else can do " Black Vevet''...........Mike

#1656 by RhythmMan
Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:31 am
Julie,
Yep, you pretty much covered it with your list -A, B, C, & D.
I'm starting to get to the stage now, where I'm thinking about going it alone.
I'm listening to some Leo Kottke instrumentals, and I got to thinking. . . .
Where would Leo kottke be now, if he had just waited for people who could play his music to show up?
Nowhere.
I'm not in his league. Yet. So, I'll just keep practicing, writing, and getting better . . .

#1657 by Auburn Diva
Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:49 am
Alan, do what's in your heart, & God will give you a way to use it.

Mike, I'd love to chat with you. Follow the contact link on my bio page to e-mail me. There's no significant other anymore; how do you think I got the courage to try music again?

#1659 by OIRAM
Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:13 pm
Rock on, There is no reason to quit or give up.There is always a way to get thiough.I have been trying to get out there for a few years now. I have had a few chances to either play live or just jam with someone. I took every one of them. Not all of them worked but hay,I got out there and people know me.I now have a presence and that opens doors believe it or not.It is true. :wink: :D :!:

#1661 by RhythmMan
Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:28 pm
OIRAM,
It sure would be easy to give up. Easier than finding the right people, huh?
Just finished playing with a Bass player, an hour ago. I guess my songs demand too much of a bass player.
With his nearly 40 years experience, he can only play about 2/3 of my stuff. The other 1/3 of my stuff he say's he's not ready for - it's too hard.

And, I can see (and hear) that he's not just giving me a line, either . . .
He means it - he really tries . . .
He does 'pretty good.'
The 2 of us have a standing invitation to play somewhere, for a group of about 15 people.

I played there with him twice before. But I told him I will NOT play there with him again - until he can play at least 10 songs without screwing up.
I don't want to sound 'pretty good,' playing with other musicians. I want to sound 'great.'
I won't settle for mediocre. There's enough mediocre bands out there, already. For me, - to sound mediocre is a fate worse than death.
Hey, I make lots of mistakes, too, but usually no one in the audience can recognize it as a mistake. (With 4 million chords in one song, if I play a seventh instead of a suspended 4th, no one notices. Well, ok, maybe not quite 4 million chords - but - a lot)
I guess my point is: if it sounds better when I play by myself, then . . . well . . . .
Ahhh - I don't know . . . I hadn't planned on being a solo act.
I don't want to sing . . .

I don't know what my goal is, anymore.
I guess learning bass for one of my songs is probably the equivelant of learning the bass patterns for 5-6 average rock songs. Learning one of my sets is like learning 4 sets.
I know I don't write simple stuff, but - hey I'm not a simple man.
And - I'm not going to go the 'simple' route, the easy route.
How far would 'Yes,' or 'ELP' have gotten, for example, if they did just simple stuff?
Can you imagine Yes wanting to play "Wild Thing," with no improvisation, instead of, say "Roundabout?"
I know I'm nowhere near as good as those guys. But, if I am held back, - I never WILL get as good as them.
I learn more stuff just practicing by myself.
And, I know I have a lot more to learn. I'm still writing songs that are hard for me to play.
I don't know. I've got some serious thinking to do.
Hey, guys - sorry 'bout the diatribe.
Julie - I know what's in my heart, but I don't know what's in God's heart.
#1662 by Guest
Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:41 pm
If you aren't connected with anyone there is another gent from Port St.Lucie on this site called lovegood77 who is a drummer.Who knows???

#1664 by Auburn Diva
Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:32 pm
I agree that mediocrity is unacceptable. My current bass player told me the other day that "the only way we'll get tight is to play out about 30 times" Well, I for one don't want to suck 29 times before you finally learn your part! I also don't think writing the progressions in a notebook & reading it like a book as you play onstage is acceptable, either. Especially when you accidentally play the wrong song & nobody in the band can get your attention to tell you, because you won't take your eyes off the book. He claimed he only needs the notebook until he learns the parts (he's had since February to learn them). I told him he can have the book as long as he wants, but we're not leaving the garage again until he can play without it. I don't want to come off as some sort of prima donna, but I feel I have the talent & professionalism to expect more out of the people I play with. Am I being a snob?
#1666 by lovegood77
Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:54 pm
Exit 20 wrote:If you aren't connected with anyone there is another gent from Port St.Lucie on this site called lovegood77 who is a drummer.Who knows???
Jon - Jon, As always u come thru and i thank u for the plug.........U r trully a friend........and hey who knows....may not have to use the group name I have come up with to describe my situation......."Dead End Street" ....haha.........I was thinkinin more of a name like "Free Food".............see how many ppl that will draw in off a Marqee.sign!!!!
#1667 by Guest
Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:08 pm
Hey Mike,
I was going to call my band,Free Beer All Night,for the sole purpose of drawing the crowd off the street but ended up with EXIT 20.How original 8)