This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#157684 by Rick56
Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:03 am
It has been my experience for the last 35 years that I have played music for a living that most people that frequent the bars and dance halls don't really want to hear original music. They want to hear the music that they hear on the radio, tv and other media. Now once you've returned a couple of times to those venues and attract a following just introduce an original a few times during the gig and they will be better accepted. And if the kind of music your writing isn't big in your area then change area's if it's possible. But I've known musicians who've quit music because they couldn't play the music they wanted to. As for me, I've made a living playing covers and have no regrets.

#157699 by PaperDog
Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:35 am
Lynard Dylan wrote:What do you mean by layers Mr. Scott?
Seriously I'm technically challenged,
and looking to buy some type of recording device,
besides my Sony HandiCam, and then how to
blend (is that the right word) the audio with the
video, it seems like a video world out there today.
Not even sure if I'm asking the right question? :?

Another way to state is >Overdubbing with tracks..

I am currently trying a technique , which I like to call 'scaffolding'.

Because I use an acoustic sound, and I'm attempting to produce lively rythyms, its very difficult sometimes to capture and sustain rythyms with timed precision over the duration of a song, So lets say I strum a set of chords to a phrase that = 16 strums per count of 4 beats... The scaffolding comes in... where on one track, I'll halve the strumming to 8/4 or even alternate between 8/4 and 4/4.. ( Basically laying down a natural and not so contrived or calculated Rythym...) On a 2nd track, I'll do 16/4 while listening to the first track... Then I'll repeat second track with a third track. Then I have an option... Remove the scaffolding track ...or simply keep it and play with levels later.

Once that's decided and done...the precision timing and BPM are established, Then Lay down Drums/Percussion/ Bass followed by vocals/leads,Keybords, etc.

I have learned that in a studio environment, I cant sing worth a sh*t... That really shows up on the vocal tracks...thus I am doing a boat load of re-takes to correct my voice, pitch and get it right... Wow...didn't realize how important the details are...

#157736 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:26 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Yod

Keeping family fed is a priority I didn't have to face first time around.

And good parents are my heroes, so that is more important than strutting with a guitar onstage.

That's also why it's so hard to put a band together once you've left high school. It can be done easily but maintaining a full band over a few years is the trick.

So I use tracks most of the time but whenever musicians are available, I enjoy doing that instead. But I will never be caught depending on another musician for ANYTHING.

My wife thinks I'm a good natured idiot. She finds the music I play to be just plain silly. I try not to let that bother me but I imagine at some level it does. I hope it doesn't impact my playing.

Talbot

My wife was the biggest source of discouragement I had for many years. I patiently considered her ignorance about what I do (songs I write) and eventually she saw that I wasn't as big an idiot as she thought.

I was only a small idiot. :-)

But I didn't make a move without her support or we would have had major battles when things didn't go so great in those first couple of years establishing myself full-time.

#157747 by silentom20
Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:56 pm
you remind me of the lead singer for in this moment! Ill play with you ! BASS right here

#157882 by walkercaine
Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:03 pm
SamanthaScarlette wrote:I've been trying to put a band together for over a year now. To absolutely no luck. I've tried craigs list, other sites, posting fliers, asking friend, etc to absolutely no avail. I spent $5000 on recording 3 songs, earlier this year, figuring that when I had recorded music it would be easier to find people. No such luck. I'm starting to feel like it's because I'm a girl...

I could really expand on that, unfortunately I think I may have become one of them :?

Alone, in Arizona... good luck with that. Like its mentioned somewhere else here, most bands are formed by friends. But once you find one player you can work with it becomes easier to find the next, then the next.

Do your thing and keep doing it. Sooner or later you'll hook up with someone you mesh with and things will start falling together. Believe. Use the time to hone your craft. I know many players who prefer female singers, and if you did keyboards I'd have someone for you to talk to today. I'm even tempted. In this business its always right place right time - work with that.

Good luck kid; if you want it and don't give up, something will happen. You can complain and go about your life, or you can feel the fire. You're a singer/songwriter, wherever you go whatever you do that's who you are.
Last edited by walkercaine on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#157888 by walkercaine
Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:08 pm
My wife thinks I'm a good natured idiot. She finds the music I play to be just plain silly. I try not to let that bother me but I imagine at some level it does. I hope it doesn't impact my playing.

Talbot

My wife was the biggest source of discouragement I had for many years. I patiently considered her ignorance about what I do (songs I write) and eventually she saw that I wasn't as big an idiot as she thought.

I was only a small idiot. :-)

But I didn't make a move without her support or we would have had major battles when things didn't go so great in those first couple of years establishing myself full-time.

The people closest to you are your biggest downfall; they don't mean to be but that's the way it is. When I decided to start over, everyone did everything to put a wall in front of me (except my kids, they thought it was cool). But I held my ground. Now after some years on the road, instead of "you suck, don't ever think music when I'm home" its now "why won't you ever let me come see you play?" ;) Reason #3 of why I don't do gigs at home.

Oh, and Talbot - goofy songs sell! :)

#157889 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:13 pm
walkercaine wrote:
The people closest to you are your biggest downfall; they don't mean to be but that's the way it is. When I decided to start over, everyone did everything to put a wall in front of me (except my kids, they thought it was cool). But I held my ground. Now after some years on the road, instead of "you suck, don't ever think music when I'm home" its now "why won't you ever let me come see you play?" ;) Reason #3 of why I don't do gigs at home.

yep...

In my case I had to take it very slowly because my wife thought I would be leaving her for a groupie. I'm sort of flattered that she thought groupies would be interested, but she didn't really think that one through very well.

I took the whole family on a couple of tours in the beginning and don't have to worry about them wanting to go with me anymore now.

:lol:

#157896 by walkercaine
Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:20 pm
yod wrote:yep...

In my case I had to take it very slowly because my wife thought I would be leaving her for a groupie. I'm sort of flattered that she thought groupies would be interested, but she didn't really think that one through very well.

I took the whole family on a couple of tours in the beginning and don't have to worry about them wanting to go with me anymore now.

Oh yeah, that still gets thrown in there. In the old days groupies were the girls next door, now they're professionals... like I'm really gonna touch that even if I wanted to! :lol:

#157908 by PaperDog
Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:05 pm
walkercaine wrote:
yod wrote:yep...

Oh yeah, that still gets thrown in there. In the old days groupies were the girls next door, now they're professionals... like I'm really gonna touch that even if I wanted to! :lol:

Every woman I have ever dated... laid down the the death grip on my freedom to move about and get stuff done. Always some fear about the 'other woman" ... which is just flat out ridiculous... So In one of my older songs , i wrote a line ...

"You can never own me;
not by day or by night...
But if you are good to me, You can borrow me for life...
#158405 by Daniel Towsley
Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:45 am
SamanthaScarlette wrote:I've been trying to put a band together for over a year now. To absolutely no luck. I've tried craigs list, other sites, posting fliers, asking friend, etc to absolutely no avail. I spent $5000 on recording 3 songs, earlier this year, figuring that when I had recorded music it would be easier to find people. No such luck. I'm starting to feel like it's because I'm a girl...
I actually liked your work. To be honest I have a personal taste for females in some songs. Just the way some songs flow they tell you what they need. I am still new to it all myself. And I hope you get everyone you wish to play with =)

---

For myself currently I am working more on breathing and projection. I know timing is off a bit. Though I feel its good to have a well trained projection. I am currently recording songs about 3+ feet away from the mic. What presents a challenge is I am partially deaf. So I can not fully hear myself as I growl/scream. And often have to change after I hear it recorded. And I'll sample the changes in a temp recording. And adjust that way. I think if I ever made it into a band that may cause an issue. Then a friend told me they sell cordless headsets that I could use to hear the band with. A singer using a headset on a stage might look silly eh? Though for me when too many sounds are around .. I hear less definition than most and comes out as garbled mess. So being at a club, bar, etc .. I'd hear less what others said, or was being played. Some of my friends think its funny that I love to growl when I can barely hear my own self.

Amidst the ramble .. just be your own self and you will progress one day to where you wish to be. It may not be some place popular, maybe it will .. in the end should always be about you, and where you want to be. As I'll keep doing my stuff and eventually be where I want to be.
#158406 by Daniel Towsley
Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:04 am
On a side note. I listen to music all the time .. its part of my every minute of the day =) .. Anyways a few bands came to mind that you sounded like. Though I'll mention one that for some reason stung my brain.

Sugarcoma
-------------

Crazy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71wR-9FlEmg

Heartworm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHrLBeUZsQ

Just the music you all played reminded me of them .. minus the harsher grunge vocals.
#161756 by Sons of Medusa
Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 am

Medusa is looking for lead singer
Check us out at www.facebook.com/metalmedusa or www.reverbnation.com/medusaphx
Let me know what you think at [email protected]

#162357 by Hayden King
Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:40 pm
yeah 5K on 3 cuts means you've found a feeder (studio owner preying on passionate ameteurs). I'd recommend finding a smaller studio and owner. Maybe someone just using protools in a home studio. You probably wont get radio ready results, but a tool to further your career ie; players /publishers/labels. Most top producers prefer to hear material somewhat raw so they can hear things they can do with it in the studio. Good Luck and don't stop if you have the fire... or you'll always hate yourself for it!

#189346 by county29
Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:46 pm
Rick56 wrote:It has been my experience for the last 35 years that I have played music for a living that most people that frequent the bars and dance halls don't really want to hear original music. They want to hear the music that they hear on the radio, tv and other media. Now once you've returned a couple of times to those venues and attract a following just introduce an original a few times during the gig and they will be better accepted. And if the kind of music your writing isn't big in your area then change area's if it's possible. But I've known musicians who've quit music because they couldn't play the music they wanted to. As for me, I've made a living playing covers and have no regrets.

Rick are you still looking for a band? Check out Reverbnation.com/29county Email [email protected]