This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#152498 by Brad1954
Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 pm
I find practicing of scales and playing licks to be fun, I used to make them up when i was young only to find out by studying that there is nothing new that has not been wrote down centuries ago.
But listening to the masters (contemporary)is how to learn keyboard. You should really listen to what scales are being played over top of what chord. That is what makes the difference in whether or not you meant to play that note or triad or not while your jammin with friends or to the computer , radio, whatever. See in your mind how chord structure relates. Be fluent in all keys and know there relationships. That's how easy it is. Master your sclales and theory and there will be no stopping you from doing what you want. When I sit in with a band and the guitar player turns to me and says what chordor key, I just say lets go.
My first keyboard was an accordion. A Triton would've been nice.
Last edited by Brad1954 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#154448 by holdsg
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:26 pm
For me, keyboards have always provided the "icing and sparkles on the cake" Fortunately, there is enough need for icing and sparkles (an not just on the ballads) that a keyboard player becomes an integral part of a band. IT's imperative that the keyboard player understands that, and is not doing annoying things like noodling at the end of songs, just so he/she can hear themselves. I agree that many groups mentioned (Cars, ELP, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Deep Purple, even guitar-centric groups like Tom Petty, the Beatles) would have never achieved their level of awesomeness without great keyboard work. And yes, I am glad that we got out of that awkward 80s all synth phase, because, there is still need for some kick-butt bass and guitar in all good music.

#154452 by holdsg
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:34 pm
For me, keyboards have always provided the "icing and sparkles on the cake" Fortunately, there is enough need for icing and sparkles (an not just on the ballads) that a keyboard player becomes an integral part of a band. IT's imperative that the keyboard player understands that, and is not doing annoying things like noodling at the end of songs, just so he/she can hear themselves. I agree that many groups mentioned (Cars, ELP, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Deep Purple, even guitar-centric groups like Tom Petty, the Beatles) would have never achieved their level of awesomeness without great keyboard work. And yes, I am glad that we got out of that awkward 80s all synth phase, because, there is still need for some kick-butt bass and guitar in all good music.
#161070 by Kurt Gepke
Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:49 am
pHuel wrote:The problem is that coming from a piano background, as a solo instrument, I don't know where to start! I hear riffs in popular songs, but they are pretty simple for the most part.

So what do people do who play in live bands? Comments on genre, style, sounds, chords, rhythm, fill, etc are much appreciated!

My advice is to go to several blues jam/open mic nite gigs as you can find. Then order a sasparilla and LISTEN. Don't go to play. Go to LISTEN. Pay attention to the fills and when it's time, the solos. Both on piano and organ.
This will give you a great head start at understanding how your instrument integrates with an ensemble of other instruments.
You don't have to like the blues at all to go this route. It's just that blues are often played ad hoc and so you don't have to know any particular part perfectly (in most cases).
Do this and see if it doesn't light your fire. You'll find yourself listening and finding/hearing keyboards in all sorts of tunes.

Good luck!

KG

#161282 by PierceG
Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:17 am
The Doors are also an excellent example of keyboard use. The Doors did not have a bassist, so they used keyboards for the low end.

#161402 by Kurt Gepke
Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:10 pm
PierceG wrote:The Doors are also an excellent example of keyboard use. The Doors did not have a bassist, so they used keyboards for the low end.

Yep. Another good example of keyboards INSTEAD of a traditional instument.
Since there was no bass player in The Doors, Ray Manzerik played bass with his left hand on a Fender Key Bass and no one was the wiser.

KG

#189584 by Stevestar99
Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:36 pm
Kurt Gepke wrote:
PierceG wrote:The Doors are also an excellent example of keyboard use. The Doors did not have a bassist, so they used keyboards for the low end.

Since there was no bass player in The Doors, Ray Manzerik played bass with his left hand on a Fender Key Bass and no one was the wiser.

KG

Yep, I've been filling in for a bass for the pass couple years.. Every time we get a new.. he's a no show.. gets arrested.. ends up in jail.. and /or splits with some of our gear.. Ya, like what's up with those guys ?

#190568 by Gothic Jazz
Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 am
Just listen to The Doors and hear the role of the keyboard player. great sounding band.

#230462 by Kurt Gepke
Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:53 am
Stevestar99 wrote:
Kurt Gepke wrote:

KG

Yep, I've been filling in for a bass for the pass couple years.. Every time we get a new.. he's a no show.. gets arrested.. ends up in jail.. and /or splits with some of our gear.. Ya, like what's up with those guys ?

Because they're a tribe of monophonic bastards who hang out down in the basement clef! :twisted: