This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#131097 by uheep2
Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:07 pm
Can anyone recommend a MIDI interface to reproduce Vintage sounds like Moog, Mellotron, etc. I'm not looking to hook up my keyboard with a PC, I'd rather use a standalone device with its own (LCD?) display. Someone mentioned to me Dave Smith MoPho, and I've played around with it a bit at the store, but I'm not exactly sure how it works...
#131101 by RGMixProject
Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:10 pm
uheep2 wrote:Can anyone recommend a MIDI interface to reproduce Vintage sounds like Moog, Mellotron, etc. I'm not looking to hook up my keyboard with a PC, I'd rather use a standalone device with its own (LCD?) display. Someone mentioned to me Dave Smith MoPho, and I've played around with it a bit at the store, but I'm not exactly sure how it works...

The way you are asking this question is, just take a (MIDI cable) and hook it up "from your MIDI out" to any "Synth's MIDI in" of your choice that has the vintage sounds you are looking for.
#131106 by uheep2
Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:39 pm
I have a Hammond XK-1 which I'm looking to use as a midi controller (obviously a secondary function - I'm an organist first and foremost). So I was kinda hoping to buy a "box with knobs" rather than yet another keyboard/synthesizer...?
#131110 by RGMixProject
Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:17 pm
uheep2 wrote:I have a Hammond XK-1 which I'm looking to use as a midi controller (obviously a secondary function - I'm an organist first and foremost). So I was kinda hoping to buy a "box with knobs" rather than yet another keyboard/synthesizer...?

Ok

Your best bet will be the Hammond XM-2 with the XMc-2 controller.

Here is a link

http://www.hammond-organ.com/Products/XM2.htm

or

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Origin/
#131121 by uheep2
Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:14 pm
RGMixProject wrote:
uheep2 wrote:I

Ok
Your best bet will be the Hammond XM-2 with the XMc-2 controller.
Here is a link
http://www.hammond-organ.com/Products/XM2.htm
or
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Origin/

Thanks! The first link took me to the Hammond gadgets which pretty much do what I already have on my XK-1. It's for those who own other MIDI-ccmpatible keyboards to make them sound like mine.

The second one looks really sophisticated but is way out of my price range. Anything in the Dave Smith MoPho range that would get me authentic and vintage sounds?

#137885 by Douglas Rawlings
Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 am
I have used a number of the Roland Sound Canvas modules over the years and have always been please with the sounds and ease of use.

Jah love.

#149957 by Whiskey Station
Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:39 pm
Hey , I would like to meet with you & discuss music...some -if not all- of the influences you listed are also mine ( both as ALd Vocalist-semi guitar player) ....COOLEST STUFF AROUND STILL FRESH SOUNDING TOO!

You can reply thru Bandmix, here or thru Bostonbands.com under the
"Whiskey Station" bandname, the email addresses are there too...!

I think it'd be fun to jam with ya on some tasty-obscure classics & stuff !

PLEASE RESPOND AT YOUR BEST OPPORTUNITY

SeanX- Ld Vocalist of Whiskey Station
#150063 by Brad1954
Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:30 am
Your midi controller (in youre case a hammond) should be able perform the basics but depending on the depth of control you have you may not have all the functions a full midi module needs.
Some modules have no controls and others have more than enough.
Price out some midi modules. Look for a used SonicCell, That's a good choice.

#150088 by Starfish Scott
Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:15 pm
OOH, we were just messing around with a DAVE SMITH EVOLVER and it was sweet sounding and extremely flexible.

I don't know if that's what you are looking for, but it sounded GREAT.
#152591 by Whiskey Station
Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:14 pm
hey , I 'd like to meet with ya & discuss a few things ya might be interested in! ( occasionally I tinker with keys/ synths too )

#161073 by Kurt Gepke
Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:11 am
If you're looking for the sound of the 80's, I'd go for a rack mount Roland D550 and/or the EMU by emulator. Also look at rack mount Ensoniq units. If you're looking for the real deal in analog synths, you're going to have to get something similar to Dave Smith like the Prophet 08 or a Moog Phatty or Voyager. You're going to be limited because the sounds of the 70's didn't have MIDI yet. Everything I've suggested does.
Now, you can get pretty close with that Roland D550.

Good luck.

KG
#167677 by Whiskey Station
Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm
Hey, I'd love to talk with ya & possibly jam... some of-if not all -of the artists/stuff you are into/influenced by/Do are close to me and my styles,influences,etc...!

Shoot me a email via this site or thru Bostonbands for other contact info
( look under Whiskey Station) and seriously, let's at the least, meet-get together & talk...!