This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#160508 by jacobbgarcia
Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:57 am
I'm just starting out trying to get a group of people to play with and familiarize myself with the whole band setting and how to work together and all that important stuff, i'm currently 16 which makes it hard to find others willing to accept me because of my age D: and most people my age aren't taking music as serious as i am. Anybody have any tips to get started at my age? Thanks guys(:

#160515 by PierceG
Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:16 am
Basically, you already know about hanging out in record stores, checking out the Bandmate Wanted ads and everything else, so I'm not going to dwell on that to any degree.

My personal advice is to not sell people your age short. It may seem that they're not taking it seriously, and the fact that they might, actually, not be taking it seriously might slow your process down a bit at first.

Ultimately, with the right group of guys and/or gals, when things start clicking and everyone is sounding good together, and there's always that moment...that FIRST song...where everyone just realizes, "Dude, we sound great!" It happens a lot when you're just screwing around with something and everyone just finds their place in a song. It's a magical thing, man. I don't even play any instruments (lead singer) and I recognized it when it first happened with us.

After that moment, everyone takes it a little bit more seriously. It's just getting people to the point where they believe they can all make good music together.

I also say this with all due respect, but don't get too big of a head. Basically, don't go thinking you're better than potential bandmates, (i.e. guys your age) because if you're sixteen, then you've got stuff to learn. Unless you're some kind of savant, you have nearly as much to learn as they do...maybe you take it more seriously...but you still have much to learn, by necessity.

I'm 27, I'll never stop learning. I'm not a world-beater as a singer as it is right now, but my lyric writing (which I have always prided myself on), you know, maybe I'm not the God of the Pen as I liked to envision myself. Most of the guys here know more than I do, so definitely read their responses.

Try to respond to me, also, so nobody thinks you're a post and disappear guy!

Anyway, I listened to your stuff. I'm not even a guitarist and you made mistakes in every song, but they were still all pretty good. "October 7th," was probably the closest to being free of mistakes, though someone may correct me on that. It seems pretty simple, though.

I think, "A Soldier's Peace," was one of the more complicated ones and I loved it. You made mistakes, but I could hear it at the same time as if without the mistakes and I think it's just amazing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not about soldiers who have died and the music basically represents their journey to Heaven or whatever it is you believe is beyond this? That's what I got out of it. Excellent work, really.

#160527 by jacobbgarcia
Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:31 am
I know exactly what you mean, i know for a fact i have A LOT to learn and honestly i don't think i'm good enough yet to be playing in front of an audience, what i meant by other people my age not taking as serious was as in i'm committed to learning everything i possibly can and do so with my band mates, i have only gotten the chance to play with one group but i meant the whole age thing as in people under estimate my commitment level based on me being 16 because a lot of people think 16, it's probably just a hobby but i am trying to get serious about it.

I have had the opportunity to have numerous jam sessions with a cousin of mine and i know what you mean about that moment but i haven't gotten to feel the moment with a complete group as in more people than just two guitarists haha.

And thank you for listening to my music, i appreciate the feedback a lot. Most of my uploads were rough recordings but yeah i have definitely been working on my lead guitar skills but yeah i have a lot to learn and much more practice to do (:

You are actually spot on haha, i'm excited that you can get exactly what i was trying to express by listening to it. After a long life of serving as a soldier and all the things they do and witness finally comes to an end, their journey into peace is what i was trying to express. That's awesome that you got that by listening haha.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and giving my stuff a listen.

#160582 by PierceG
Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:10 am
Jacobb1007 wrote:I know exactly what you mean, i know for a fact i have A LOT to learn and honestly i don't think i'm good enough yet to be playing in front of an audience, what i meant by other people my age not taking as serious was as in i'm committed to learning everything i possibly can and do so with my band mates, i have only gotten the chance to play with one group but i meant the whole age thing as in people under estimate my commitment level based on me being 16 because a lot of people think 16, it's probably just a hobby but i am trying to get serious about it.

I was mainly addressing your comment about other people your age not taking it as seriously as you do. If there are going to be people that are older than you that don't want to be your bandmate due to your age, then there's nothing you can do about their closed-mindedness except look at it as their loss. If it's a band greatly more experienced than you, that's one thing, but if it's due strictly to age...

On the other hand, though, there are probably any number of possible venues for gigs that you are unable to get into...

Most of the places we played were 18+, Hell, some of them were 21+ and they just made an unofficial and occasional exception for bands sometimes.

I have had the opportunity to have numerous jam sessions with a cousin of mine and i know what you mean about that moment but i haven't gotten to feel the moment with a complete group as in more people than just two guitarists haha.

It takes some time. When my former band got together it was three guys and a girl that were all my age. Anyway, none of us had any experience playing for an audience, so we practiced and rehearsed for two years before we even did our first paid gig. We had to have been over a year in the first time that moment happened, but after it did, we stepped it up and took practice a lot more seriously because we knew that we could make decent music.

It seems like you're already halfway to having a band. You and your cousin have already worked together and know one another's tendencies, so maybe you should just use that as a base and add members to the two of you.

And thank you for listening to my music, i appreciate the feedback a lot. Most of my uploads were rough recordings but yeah i have definitely been working on my lead guitar skills but yeah i have a lot to learn and much more practice to do (:

You're welcome, no need to thank me. I noticed on your page that it says you've only even been playing the guitar for two years, so you're already excellent based on that. I've seen guys play for two years that still f*** up, "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

You are actually spot on haha, i'm excited that you can get exactly what i was trying to express by listening to it. After a long life of serving as a soldier and all the things they do and witness finally comes to an end, their journey into peace is what i was trying to express. That's awesome that you got that by listening haha.

Absolutely. That song should remain an instrumental, in my opinion, though you could always make it longer. I wouldn't disgrace it with my lyrics, that's for sure.

Again, you're welcome and no need to thank me. Don't hesitate to venture into the other threads here, as well, I'm pretty new here but all the guys are very welcoming.[/quote]
#160594 by PaperDog
Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:19 am
Jacobb1007 wrote:I'm just starting out trying to get a group of people to play with and familiarize myself with the whole band setting and how to work together and all that important stuff, i'm currently 16 which makes it hard to find others willing to accept me because of my age D: and most people my age aren't taking music as serious as i am. Anybody have any tips to get started at my age? Thanks guys(:

Dont Take the music too seriously... I say this because if people see you having a really good time with the music, they tend to be drawn toward that and will ask you if they can jump in on it... That's how you meet and make music friends...If they dig what you are doing, there be your partner(s)...possible for the next 30 years of band...

#160598 by jacobbgarcia
Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:40 am
Ahh that makes sense, people wouldn't want to practice and practice and then have a gig that's 18+ and me be 16, i see what you mean.

That's a good idea haha, i'll have to see about that.

Hahaha that's true i've met a lot of people that say they have been playing for like 5 years or something but don't really play too well. I do mess up, hell i'm sure everybody does haha. Messing up just drives me to practice more though and eventually i'm sure i will get it haha.

So far just reading through the forum everybody seems super friendly and helpful, i'm definitely glad there is a place where musicians can just talk and have a good time without all the negativity.

I was debating on having somebody adding lyrics and stuff to that song but you are right it does sound more emotional as just an instrumental, i'm gonna try and add some more instruments and see how it comes out.

Do people on here collaborate by email and stuff on here?

#160679 by MikeTalbot
Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:39 pm
Jacob

Welcome

Some thoughts:

Are you a musician, songwriter, both?

Willing to play covers?

Goal is to be a happy creative hobbiest or go pro and carve a life out of it?

If carving a life is the goal: Music is a hard road. I've done pro and amateur with some points in between. I can only warn you that if you dedicate your life to music you better swear off women, drugs, alcohol and enjoy traveling! It's actually not so bad but remember, you're only ever one chick away from settling down...Since that is a very real risk you might want to learn a trade too.

The up side of that - you don't have to go on the road and play for a living. If the chick is worth it - get a square job and play on the side.

The crossover point is I think, 28. It is your best year. You'll know then

(And PierceG - didn't you mention that you were 27? :wink: )

However it ends up going down - you will always be disappointed in others. Just learn to live with it. Become a leader and assume you will spend your life pushing hard and being let down. Push hard enough and you might just win. Drag your pals along with you and keep 'em sober enough to play.

And for goodness sake, have fun with it. And now it's time for me to stop blathering and load my gear. Rehearsal tonight! I'm still hacking away and loving it.

Talbot

#160684 by Jahva
Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:06 pm
Don't concern yourself with a band right now. Although it's cool to say. If your love is for playing and creating music a band will come in time.
It's great experience to play in a live setting but you should spend every waking available hour practicing. Find an older or better player learn everything you can from them, take lessons if you can.
Soon enough your age won't show. (in your playing)
I don't imagine too many bands that have been formed by 16 year olds last too long anyway.
If you soak your head into being the best YOU can be as a player and technician of your craft the results will make you a wanted man!
By then you probably won't want to play with 16-18 year olds yourself.

#160705 by jacobbgarcia
Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:42 am
MikeTalbot wrote:Jacob

Welcome

Some thoughts:

Are you a musician, songwriter, both?

Willing to play covers?

Goal is to be a happy creative hobbiest or go pro and carve a life out of it?

If carving a life is the goal: Music is a hard road. I've done pro and amateur with some points in between. I can only warn you that if you dedicate your life to music you better swear off women, drugs, alcohol and enjoy traveling! It's actually not so bad but remember, you're only ever one chick away from settling down...Since that is a very real risk you might want to learn a trade too.

The up side of that - you don't have to go on the road and play for a living. If the chick is worth it - get a square job and play on the side.

However it ends up going down - you will always be disappointed in others. Just learn to live with it. Become a leader and assume you will spend your life pushing hard and being let down. Push hard enough and you might just win. Drag your pals along with you and keep 'em sober enough to play.

And for goodness sake, have fun with it. And now it's time for me to stop blathering and load my gear. Rehearsal tonight! I'm still hacking away and loving it.

Talbot
THanks for the advice, it's good to know the reality of it and keep reminding myself its not easy and i will have to be persistent but i am gonna try my hardest.
Regarding your questions:
I try to be both, sometimes the creativity just isn't flowing but when it is i can be both haha
I do cover a lot of songs actually, mostly from the red hot chili peppers and john frusciante's solo stuff but i don't mind playing covers at all. They can be fun to jam to or just to play and practice. Plus everybody likes to hear a familiar sound every once in a while :P
I would very much like to carve a life out of it and i'm willing to do all that it takes, at the moment i do practice every day for the majority of my day. other than school work/ being social every now and then :P

#160706 by jacobbgarcia
Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:44 am
Jahva wrote:Don't concern yourself with a band right now. Although it's cool to say. If your love is for playing and creating music a band will come in time.
It's great experience to play in a live setting but you should spend every waking available hour practicing. Find an older or better player learn everything you can from them, take lessons if you can.
Soon enough your age won't show. (in your playing)
I don't imagine too many bands that have been formed by 16 year olds last too long anyway.
If you soak your head into being the best YOU can be as a player and technician of your craft the results will make you a wanted man!
By then you probably won't want to play with 16-18 year olds yourself.

I get what you mean but i don't necessarily mean i want to be in a band to be famous and play live sets and stuff, i mean i want a band or a group of people just so i can practice with other people and get better and improvising and just jamming with other people, i don't really care much about fame at this point i just want to practice with people that enjoy making music like i do. Further down the road when i know i'm skilled enough to play live audiences that's exactly what i want, but for now i just need practice.

#160748 by jw123
Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:14 pm
At your age I would just look for ads in music stores of people your age who like the same type of music. Jamming is fine, but really try to find your voice, singing is the hardest most elusive instrument, it takes a lot of time to develop it properly.

Good Luck

#160923 by PierceG
Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:34 am
MikeTalbot wrote:The up side of that - you don't have to go on the road and play for a living. If the chick is worth it - get a square job and play on the side.

(Laughs) For five more days and fifteen more minutes, anyway!

I've already made that choice, anyway, long time ago. I'm married, I have a son that turns four in February, a daughter that will be five months old on my birthday, a full-time and a half job, a mortgage and a car payment...lol

I made the call after the band broke up, probably before that. You have to know your limitations. After four years in the band and ten of singing, in general, I came to the conclusion that I'm a serviceable lead singer with excellent stage presence, better than average note-holding ability, worse than average range and not a great natural voice at all.

In short, probably not going to ever make a living out of it. Hell, we played a good few of our paid gigs at a loss!

#161017 by kaelynburns
Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:06 pm
I started out a bit younger than you, so I understand your dilemma. People tend to think that skill coincides with age; I'd label that as ignorance. Rather, I think that starting a younger age is more beneficial, and I would actually prefer to play with someone around your age; In my personal opinion, younger musicians tend to be a bit more creative and free-thinking. I'm sure there are others who think the same.

As for getting a group together, I'd start off by asking your close friends. When I played with Bordello, I didn't know any of them outside of our weekly practice sessions; we had our own lives and our own friends. Well, a couple buddies of mine were also casual players, and every chance I got, I was right there, playing with them. I even cancelled band practice a couple times just so I could go play with my friends. So, I would see if your friends were interested in playing around, or if they already do, ask if you can join them once in a while.

Secondly, get your name out there. You don't need recordings or fanpages to become known around town; people tend to remember those who show a passion for the art. Play at parties, or sit around town and play. You never know who you'll meet, or who'll remember you.

If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

#161042 by PaperDog
Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:34 pm
kaelynburns wrote:I started out a bit younger than you, so I understand your dilemma. People tend to think that skill coincides with age; I'd label that as ignorance.

Skill often does coincide with age, and no... I aint ignorant. I know local guys (right here on band mix) who can arguably run circles around some of the newbie junk-music wanna be celebs in the market today. (Its a pisser that so many losers dominate all the golden seats of the music industry , while the real talents have to eat sh*t in the back-ground) The guys I'm talking about are way older...like in their 60's up... To say that skill does not correalte with age is patently and outright mis-guided.

On any given day, I'll take one seasoned 76 year old guitarist over 20 young bucks who excel in shredding... simply because that 76 year old has something real to offer in addition to a standard arpeggio... (We are talking about real musicianship, r...and not just some dog & pony act...right?).

#161046 by kaelynburns
Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:51 pm
PaperDog wrote:
kaelynburns wrote:I started out a bit younger than you, so I understand your dilemma. People tend to think that skill coincides with age; I'd label that as ignorance.

Skill often does coincide with age, and no... I aint ignorant. I know local guys (right here on band mix) who can arguably run circles around some of the newbie junk-music wanna be celebs in the market today. (Its a pisser that so many losers dominate all the golden seats of the music industry , while the real talents have to eat sh*t in the back-ground) The guys I'm talking about are way older...like in their 60's up... To say that skill does not correalte with age is patently and outright mis-guided.

On any given day, I'll take one seasoned 76 year old guitarist over 20 young bucks who excel in shredding... simply because that 76 year old has something real to offer in addition to a standard arpeggio... (We are talking about real musicianship, r...and not just some dog & pony act...right?).

I'm not saying that there aren't older musicians who are exceedingly skilled. What I meant by that is, skill is mostly determined by the time the individual has practiced. To give an example, if someone started playing bass at 17 and was now 25, wouldn't they generally be a bit more 'seasoned' than someone who started playing bass at 31 and was now 34? Just because the individual is younger, it doesn't necessarily mean that they can not possess the same skill level as someone who is older.

Also, as I hate stereotyping and those that follow the stereotypical image found in today's music scene, I would never refer to those "20 young bucks who excel in shredding". My points allude to those who strive to truly diversify themselves from the social 'norm'; but, in all honesty, I would probably choose the 76 year old, as well. Just saying.