This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#159254 by Chippy
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:32 am
I was reading through several threads on writing techniques, and other topics on here.
Nice to see some good musical conversations again.

My particular dilemma of late is breaking out of my style. I'm a huge Genesis fan, mostly contemporary rock, Classical. I'm even getting heavily into Opera now. What I find myself doing is composing a stretch or two of quite music, then I dash off into something bizarre :-D (Hope you found that funny, I did).

My key progressions are also, let's just say. "Different" I suppose. :shock:

I'm trying to, well I want to create something more understandable for the populous who listen to what they call, 'Modern Music'. It just never happens, and I get back in my trough, and off I go again. :-D

From a drummers point of view, because in essence, this is really what I am. This is a small and unnavigable waterway at times.

Anyone?

#159296 by gbheil
Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 am
I've given up attempting to write music / lyrics.

If it does not just come to me from inspiration, forget it.

It is notable however that when I'm just wanking on my guitar with Eric and Steve we seem to wander jazzish. mostly due to Eric's influence and then I kinda do a pseudo blues guitar riffs along with him.

Perhaps if you were to do some wanking with some players of different influence ?

#159305 by PierceG
Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:56 am
I still maintain that writing good lyrics is all about finding a rhythmic syllable structure, rhyme scheme and consistently making sure the strong inflections in words are in the same place. You can write complete nonsense, but find something with a good rhythmic pattern to it, overall. After that, the actual message of the song can be changed later simply by replacing any number of the words with similar sounding words and creating something that makes sense from a poetic standpoint.

You may or may not have caught this thread:

http://forum.bandmix.com/viewtopic.php?t=18911

But, the last post on the page reflects, in detail, my general approach to lyric writing. Usually, if I find something rhythmic enough to hum out my bandmates can put a couple of lines of music to it that work. Beyond that, I have no idea as I have nothing to do with, nor do I have any desire to have anything to do with, the other musical lines of the song.

As you have probably expected, I am by no means an expert, and in terms of general musical knowledge, all of the regular BM posters have me in spades. However, my system has worked well-enough for my purposes.

#159311 by crunchysoundbite
Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:32 am
I'm glad you said you're a drummer. Phil Collins is not a bad way to follow. I think that even though there is a place for keyboards, somehow I think Genesis overused it to a bad thing. In the air tonight was a demonstration of how a man can get rich playing drums, singing and fronting a band. And writing. Silly, well, Phill Collins at one point, don't know if he still is, but he was third richest in Uk after In the Air tonight behind b. Royalty and then Paul McCartney. Laugh if you want, just keep beatin' those skins!

#159329 by Chippy
Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:39 am
High peeps.

Thanks for the replies (PierceG), I will check out the thread later, thank you). Taking note from the various replies, I agree that finding the combo with both tune and lyric is the hardest thing of all. Some find it easy and write dozens of songs a month, some like me I suspect, take far longer. These days a good mix, and thumping bass, a sexy video are the order of the day, and sometimes and in rare cases, supplemented by some very good lyrics, but not that often frankly.

In the days of hippies, mods, rockers, Tamla Motown etc. The emphasis was something completely different back then. From my point of view only....
Music these days tells us about our culture, our daily life, just like what some term as the, "Good old days".

I think where my problem lies is that my "good old day", is way off the mark with what some might think in the future, (on reflection) of these modern "good old days", if you get my meaning? I see Kate bush is back, what a wonderful surprise, but she's old school too. I rarely see new faces with such vigor and style. Perhaps we, or I should say, people don't appreciate that anymore?

At the end of the day, I suppose you do what you do, until something nudges it in a different direction, (with reference to sans). I agree Crunchy, if it works it works. PierceG. I think what you are saying is dominant, as Sans suggests. "Others".

I suppose I'll finish off what I have, though I've heard things that many haven't (New Stuff) they are becoming old to me at least.

Thanks very much guys.
Chipfryer

#159336 by crunchysoundbite
Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:32 am
There's plenty of topics to write about . how about a song called "Pull My Finger". That one's gotta' roll.

#159359 by PaperDog
Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:49 pm
Chippy wrote:These days a good mix, and thumping bass, a sexy video are the order of the day, and sometimes and in rare cases, supplemented by some very good lyrics, but not that often frankly.

It may be true, but I wouldn't call that music by any stretch of imagination... I sure as hell would never buy a CD of it... If I wanted that at a party, I'd hire a DJ

BTW, Good lyrics is rather subjective anymore. If I wrote:
"OBAMA ...HE BE DRAMA, N EBBER SINGLE COMMA, TRAILING LAK A LLAMA... INNA BACK O FLEA-ORAMA"

Yeah that might jel with some 14 year old... but you know, he's broke... DIW before it ever hit charts... Cause the charts are saturated with bullshit like that and becuase OBAMA stopped paying off the Press anymore

#159370 by MikeTalbot
Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:44 am
I can sit down and crank out doggerel by the ream but the only lyrics I ever end up keeping just come flying out of my - usually when I'm not expecting it. The trick is to write it down before the wind catches it and flys away.

Talbot

#159390 by gbheil
Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:31 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I can sit down and crank out doggerel by the ream but the only lyrics I ever end up keeping just come flying out of my - usually when I'm not expecting it. The trick is to write it down before the wind catches it and flys away.

Talbot

Yes ...
#159409 by Jahva
Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:11 pm
[quote="Chippy"]. It just never happens, and I get back in my trough, and off I go again. :-D [quote]
:lol: :lol:
Todays POP still has the simplest structures to it. I think it has more to do with the choice of sounds. There is so much electronic sound in todays music even the guitars sound so processed to me.
But many of todays pop songs are no different in structure than songs from 20 years ago. Still lots of 1-4-5's with a relative minor thrown in for good measure.
But beat is what moves the feet... I say start with your drums. Then try to build off of the groove for a change. Maybe find a pop song and duplicate the basics on the drums and see what you can create to go along with it.
Just steal a popular groove. Plagiarism the Highest Form of Flattery
#159436 by Chippy
Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:01 am
Common sense there Jahva, thank you.
Oh Gord I hate copying but I do see what you mean. If it weren't for the odd really catchy tune I wouldn't know who was singing, and for most cases, what.

"The Beat moves your feet" Love that line, and you are probably right about structures too.
Keep well Jahva, thanks again.

Chippy wrote:. It just never happens, and I get back in my trough, and off I go again. :-D
Todays POP still has the simplest structures to it. I think it has more to do with the choice of sounds. There is so much electronic sound in todays music even the guitars sound so processed to me.
But many of todays pop songs are no different in structure than songs from 20 years ago. Still lots of 1-4-5's with a relative minor thrown in for good measure.
But beat is what moves the feet... I say start with your drums. Then try to build off of the groove for a change. Maybe find a pop song and duplicate the basics on the drums and see what you can create to go along with it.
#159449 by PaperDog
Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:37 pm
Chippy wrote:Common sense there Jahva, thank you.
Oh Gord I hate copying but I do see what you mean. If it weren't for the odd really catchy tune I wouldn't know who was singing, and for most cases, what.

"The Beat moves your feet" Love that line, and you are probably right about structures too.
Keep well Jahva, thanks again.

Chippy wrote:. It just never happens, and I get back in my trough, and off I go again. :-D

Person 1: "Hey, ya see that slut over there...?"
Person2; "Yeah... You know her?..."
Person1: "Nope... But, I know her type..."

Person1 "Hey...Ya hear that song on the PA?..."
#159609 by Chippy
Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:54 pm
I thought it might end up with FX, sorry SEX.
Mind you, with so many sausages dancing on the floor, one can only turn to the corners of the room where those without them sit waiting.

Mind you, they in the corner might have views about others on-looking. and perhaps if the music were Good enough...
People might listen, just like now.

Cheers.

Chipfryer

==========

PaperDog wrote:Person 1: "Hey, ya see that slut over there...?"
Person2; "Yeah... You know her?..."
Person1: "Nope... But, I know her type..."
Person1 "Hey...Ya hear that song on the PA?..."

#159982 by cg1
Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:19 pm
Inspiration is the key I think. When I write for myself my music becomes somewhat indulgent and over the top. I enjoy that and so do a few listeners to that particular genre. However I was pleasantly surprised when I was asked to write for another artist. After meeting with the artist I went back to my studio and began to compose music of a completely different nature, based more on the vibe of the singer I had just met with!

So, for me when I want to create something a bit different thatn what I have been doing I will often think of an artist that I would want to hear on a particular recording and thatr steers the direction into interesting places!

#160045 by Chippy
Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:26 pm
Hi Cg1
Couldn't agree more. (Thank you for the reply) I think a few have said the same.

Do you shout when you can't think of something? I'm never prone to shouting in anger, I take a walk, but concur that talking with people and getting feedback is very important.
Thanks peeps.

Chipfryer

cg1 wrote:Inspiration is the key I think. When I write for myself my music becomes somewhat indulgent and over the top. I enjoy that and so do a few listeners to that particular genre. However I was pleasantly surprised when I was asked to write for another artist. After meeting with the artist I went back to my studio and began to compose music of a completely different nature, based more on the vibe of the singer I had just met with!

So, for me when I want to create something a bit different thatn what I have been doing I will often think of an artist that I would want to hear on a particular recording and thatr steers the direction into interesting places!