This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#159628 by Novy
Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:49 am
Thank You Pierce.I know, but i have to try everywhere:) Find some good singer is not to easy.Have a good weekend.

#159637 by PierceG
Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:28 am
Thanks, Novy, you too!

Wesołych Świąt!

#159668 by crunchysoundbite
Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:18 pm
If you have the range of a ha's Take on me, you're really saying something! It is a song my wife put on her recorded home CD. I sing along with it outside with the car stereos blaring, and I get even louder on the high notes which the neighbors can probably hear and laughing as well as my wife. Posts like this one and the follow ups tell me someone is going to break out into something good. These posts, even when they are not directed to me are very helpful to me, and I suspect to others as well. Thnx Bm members!

#159670 by crunchysoundbite
Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:33 pm
Arrogance is not always a bad thing as a lead singer. It comes across well if passion is the power play. That CD of the Lovebenders is a great example of a vocal talent that knows his range. It is also to be noted that ALL the vocals on those tracks ARE of one voice with excellent recording. I have listened to that CD long enough to hear it in my head without it playing on any device. I told the Drummer about Bandmix. He said he checked it out since, and I don't know if he'll become a member. I do know from that CD he gave me his drumming skills are impeccable and he (as much as I know of him), is a very hard worker an has a beautiful personality. Good luck to you Brian!

#159693 by PierceG
Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:45 pm
crunchysoundbite wrote:If you have the range of a ha's Take on me, you're really saying something! It is a song my wife put on her recorded home CD. I sing along with it outside with the car stereos blaring, and I get even louder on the high notes which the neighbors can probably hear and laughing as well as my wife. Posts like this one and the follow ups tell me someone is going to break out into something good. These posts, even when they are not directed to me are very helpful to me, and I suspect to others as well. Thnx Bm members!

I think I may have phrased myself incorrectly, what I meant by it was I don't have that range at all or even anything close. If I were to try to hit that last note, you'd probably think I'd been shot and was bleeding to death mewling like a badly injured wild animal.

#159696 by J-HALEY
Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:44 am
Pierce, the trick to singing is in developing your false etta range and learning to make it seamless so that when you go from one to the other its not noticeable. That's exactly what the singer in take on me does in that song! the only way you can learn to do that is through practice and to have a good vocal coach show you!

#159704 by PierceG
Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:48 am
J-HALEY wrote:Pierce, the trick to singing is in developing your false etta range and learning to make it seamless so that when you go from one to the other its not noticeable. That's exactly what the singer in take on me does in that song! the only way you can learn to do that is through practice and to have a good vocal coach show you!

I plan to see that vocal coach here after we have a few practices under our belt and I know we're actually going to try to do something. My problem is not so much going from one to another with a song like that...it's having the, 'other,' to go to in the first place without sounding like I got punched in the throat.

You're right, though, that the professional vocal coach, at a minimum, is going to be able to help me expand my range in general (even though I really don't need any help on the low end) until we reach the point where I just physically could not get any higher.

#159714 by J-HALEY
Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:45 am
Pierce, A vocal coach can teach you breathing exorcises and other things. Some of the exorcises will seem extremely (for lack of a better word) GAY! You will be embarressed to do them but those exorcises are important. They are designed to strengthen your diaphram and will really increase your range believe me!

#159718 by PierceG
Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:13 am
Jeff,

After hearing you play the way that you play, you could tell me that the grass is friggin' turquoise and I'd believe you.

You're absolutely right, though, that range expansion is important if I want to stop sucking so bad. I have to find something other than, "Supremely deep voice and can hold a note for a respectable duration," to hang my hat on. I need to start trying to impress and not merely just get by without hurting the band too much.

#159733 by crunchysoundbite
Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:03 am
In the example Take on me, his high note is stretched (in duration) by a long hollow echo. If you're going to emulate that, cheat like he did. J-Haley wrote about a singing coach that gives breathing exorcises. Would that make him an exorcist? A good song to exercise range in the real world would be Brooks & Dunn's version of Boot Scoot Boogie or better yet, My Maria. If you can pull off the vocals like Brooks and Dunn, but don't have that high note range, yet also can do that Kirmit the frog voice and like to do some growl, go to molly Hatchet- anything!

#163002 by PierceG
Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:01 am
UPDATE:

Chris and I agreed to get in touch in the earlier part of January and start setting up practices for the middle part of January. I wanted to let him go ahead and get ahold of me first, so as not to seem over-zealous, but around the 15th I got tired of waiting...

I called his phone number and got a message saying it had been disconnected. I then went to the gas station where I ran into him, and the guy there said he was not the manager and he didn't even know whether Chris worked there anymore, so therefore, didn't know when I might run into him there.

ANYWAY...

I've decided that I'm going to learn to play the bass guitar, as I do not have that bassist's number because I figured he had it, and he's the one that knows her, so I didn't need it.

After I learn to play the bass (estimate: 1 year) I might try to join a band as bassist/backup singer. I want to get some experience under my belt playing bass in a live setting, and then I intend to set up a new band comprised of only myself as bassist/lead singer and a drummer, because I think that would be pretty cool.

Of course, I'm also going to still consider starting a band as the lead singer only, or joining a band just as lead singer...but only if it just so happens to fall into place that way.

#163031 by Lynard Dylan
Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 pm
Bass guitar is a waste of time Pierce if
your going to commit to a year learn guitar,
and then at the end of that year, see how much
of that can be transfered to bass.

Good singers are always in demand, you could
be singing in a group tommorow, the only thing
stopping you is you.

#163043 by crunchysoundbite
Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:31 pm
You gave me an idea for a song... Classical Gas Station. :lol:

#163115 by PierceG
Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 pm
Lynard,

I do not think bass guitar is a waste of time, I have a vision for something that I want to do with it that I think will be pretty sick. If it doesn't work, at least I won't be able to be faulted for not trying.

I know what you mean about the singing, Lynard, but honestly, I want to learn more about the music anyway. I do still need improvement in some areas as a singer to reach my peak, and I will work on that, I don't think I can get much better as a lyricist, so it's time to expand my horizons with some instrumentation.

Crunch,

That's a cool working title. LOL

#163151 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:18 am
A bass man who sing lead is worth his weight in gold. But so is a lead singer who can't play anything.

It does help to play though. And adds a lot to the fun I'd guess.

I only sing well enough to teach real singers my tunes and then mumble in the background. Since I learned to actually sing a couple of them myself it's been a trip.

Talbot