This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1590 by cnl83
Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:44 pm
Im looking to start promoting Melanie Christine as a wedding singer. People who want that one special song to be special I do not want to DJ work. I am going to promote her as a wedding singer, and for private parties. We are looking for a male singer, who may be able to sing douets with her. We are also looking for a pianio player to play the song while she sings. A great band looking for a female vocalist would be ideal, but if we can get a piano player/male singer...that would be great.

Im also looking for advice in starting this type of thing up. Im wondering what would be some good equipment to purchase and what not. I currently have a MXL 990 for recording. I do not have an amp yet. What would be a good amp to purchase?

Any helpful comments would be awesome. Im currently putting her web site together...its gonna be awesome!

#1593 by RhythmMan
Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:36 pm
Hi, cnl83.
Go to you local music store. tell him you're just looking, and then tell them what you listed below.
You'll get all the answers you need in 60 seconds.
Also - I noticed another post you'd answered for someone selling speakers.
They had listed them as 150W peak.
When someone lists what the Peak power is - ignore that figure totally.
The only power figure you are interested in is RMS.
Not Peak. Not Peak-to-peak. Not average.
RMS is the only power handling figure that is important.
A speaker with 150W (Watts) peak handling capacity could blow out at 151 Watts.
The correct figure for that paticular '150W' speaker, by the way, is not 150 Watts, but about 106 Watts RMS.
So that '150 Watt' speaker is actually only a 100 Watt speaker.
Alan

#1594 by cnl83
Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:55 pm
Thank you for that information. Very helpful...
What in your opinion would be a fair wattage?

#1599 by RhythmMan
Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:20 pm
Hi,"cnl"
Well a 100 Watt amp might do it - might not.
A 100w amp can be pretty loud, though.
Remember - amps always sound louder in a small room.
If it's a really big hall, you might need more power.
Your best bet is to go to a local music store, and start looking and LISTENING to the amplifiers.
A lot of them have reverb and echo built in, and sometimes effects, like a chorus (which is nice), or distortion (which you won't need).
You'll be looking to spend probably $150 minumum.
One other thing - buy a GOOD microphone. Try them out, first. There is a huge price range for Mics.
And - while you're asking about mikes & amps: mention that you can't have any feedback - he'll give you some good pointers.
If you are nervous about going to a music store, and not knowing what you're looking for, bring a guy along. It doesn't matter if he knows, either. Just tell him to look serious, but don't say anything. :)
Oh, one other thing - you have a nice voice. Take care of it. :)
Alan

#1642 by Auburn Diva
Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:04 pm
If you're looking for power with ease of use, my favorite is still Mackie. A 606 head & a pair of JBL 12"s or 15"s should take care of most but the largest of reception halls, & you can add an external amp (again, my favorite is a Mackie 1400i) & another set of speakers if you book a really large hall. You will pay for the name, but in my humble opinion it's well worth the investment. Sadly enough, Samick is right about bringing a guy with you. Just like at the car lot, the mere presence of a man will make a salesperson think twice before trying to take you to the cleaners. Do some homework online, too. www.musiciansfriend.com has everything you're looking for & more.
#1760 by Irminsul
Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:49 am
cnl it's so good to see an agent on here getting advice on how to best assist the artist so they can both make money. Maybe agents need to have their own corner of the forum too? Hmmm....is this an excuse for me to start one?

There sure is a dearth of dedicated agents for musical performers. That's been one of my constant laments since I started playing music all those years ago.

Here's to THEM!